Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Ski company offers to pay fines for parents

Still Waters

A ski holiday company is offering to pay fines for parents who take their children away during term time.

MountainBase, a Bedford-based operator selling skiing holidays in Morzine in the French Alps, has advertised its controversial offer on Facebook - and admits its deal would encourage parents to break the law.

http://www.telegraph...-term-time.html

• Like 1

Fines are ridiculous. As the link shows, prices are hiked 2 or 3 times to coincide with "official" school holidays in the UK. Surely a visit to a foreign country could be described as a Cultural learning exercise, or a Physical Education field trip.

Where I live (Med. Spain) this could not happen...

Edited by keithisco
  • Like 2

They should rather lower the prices in general. Ski pass, lift pass, visitor's tax, It's just crazy what you have to pay for, and it's becoming more every year. Especially in France and Switzerland. This has been the first season for many years I didn't go to the Alps. I tried out a Korean resort, and it's been great; for about half the price.

They should rather lower the prices in general. Ski pass, lift pass, visitor's tax, It's just crazy what you have to pay for, and it's becoming more every year. Especially in France and Switzerland. This has been the first season for many years I didn't go to the Alps. I tried out a Korean resort, and it's been great; for about half the price.

You should have gone to Val De Squi in Madrid. Just 20 minutes from the centre of the Capital (which is 2000 feet above sea level) . The Piste has been excellent, and cheap compared to Andorra and France. IMO

• Like 1

You should have gone to Val De Squi in Madrid. Just 20 minutes from the centre of the Capital (which is 2000 feet above sea level) . The Piste has been excellent, and cheap compared to Andorra and France. IMO

Although it's a bit far, I might check it out. Thank you for the recommendation. :)

I usually go to Austria, where I can get a hut for a very fair price. But I'm not the person to stay at the same place every year, so South Korea was a neat option to have.

Fines are ridiculous. As the link shows, prices are hiked 2 or 3 times to coincide with "official" school holidays in the UK. Surely a visit to a foreign country could be described as a Cultural learning exercise, or a Physical Education field trip.

Where I live (Med. Spain) this could not happen...

I agree, even with the fine it is still cheaper to take their kids on holiday in term time,quite a few of my fellow workers do it and I don't blame them

Couldn't agree more,It should be the parents choice to take their Kids out of School but of course the Nanny state knows better...

Couldn't agree more,It should be the parents choice to take their Kids out of School but of course the Nanny state knows better...

Teachers know that students missing two or three weeks of classes while their classes are moving on is not good for the student who's AWOL or the class as a whole. Simples, you'd think.

Selfish it is.

Edited by Eldorado
  • Like 1

Schooling is vitally important. Taking the younglings for a week on the Slopes is unimportant in the grand scheme of things.

"ohh it's only a week, what will they miss in a week?" well that'll be 10 hours of Maths, 10 hours of English very little of which is repeated the next week because of the way the curriculum has been crammed with learning by the government, meaning that by the time your child gets back they'll be 20 hours and more behind because not only do they have to catch up they have to do the same work everyone else is WITHOUT that extra 10 hours of teaching.

• Like 2

Love how the company tries to justify it as teaching kids a valuable skill. If that were the case, why not take the children to a dry ski slope in the holidays? I imagine a trip to Sheffield costs rather less than skiing in the alps.

Not that I'm sure how learning to ski is more valuable to a child than learning to read write and calculate.

• Like 1