Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Could the 'five-second rule' be real ?

UM-Bot

Scientists have claimed that food is safer to eat if it is picked up off the floor within a few seconds.

The 'five-second rule' pertains to the idea that if food is dropped on the floor, it is still safe to eat if it is picked up within five seconds because there hasn't been enough time for bacteria to transfer on to it.

Read More: http://www.unexplain...nd-rule-be-real

5 seconds or not I would never eat food that was fallen down the floor. Also if happened outdoors there might be

sand at the food and that`s not good for the teeth.

There is no such thing as the 5 second rule if you own dogs.

• Like 6

I'd only do this if the house itself happened to be made of food.....

if it is something like a potato chip i will pick it up and eat it off the floor even if it goes beyond the five seconds. if it's something sticky like an apple slice i'm tossing it out

I use the 5 minute rule. Then I stomp on the food with muddy bare feet, and then I eat it. E-coli is YUMMY!!!!

• Like 1

I think being in close proximity with people breathing each others exhaled air is a greater risk.

• Like 1

the average floor is probably cleaner , germ wise, than the average hand?

• Like 2

the average floor is probably cleaner , germ wise, than the average hand?

Then there's cellphones. I see people always using them, texting and surfing the web. I wonder how often they get cleaned? :o

Then there's cellphones. I see people always using them, texting and surfing the web. I wonder how often they get cleaned? :o

i wipe mine quite a lot

I've never cleaned mine cause I rarely use it. It's always in the glove box of my truck. I prefer personal conversation myself.

oya.. and money! but we're diverging from food on the floor. I know i DON'T want to see a microscopic view of my harmonica ! lol

oya.. and money! but we're diverging from food on the floor. I know i DON'T want to see a microscopic view of my harmonica ! lol

I guess the point I'm making is germs can be contracted many ways besides food on the floor. I see some people at work use the restroom and

not wash their hands after groping themselves. Who knows what they touch after that.

Just pick it up and eat it, you guys must not know what its like to be hungry.

How much do you suppose scientists get paid to tell you whether you can or cant eat food off the floor?

I had really hoped by now that our tax dollars would be spent on trying to colonize another planet, not food etiquette and floor germs.

People are so dirt-phobic these days it drives me nuts sometimes.

Where are the scores of people dying from horrible floor-food viruses and bacteria?

I'm not scraping butter or something like that off the floor and eating it, but an apple slice can be washed off easily and used. Keep your floors clean and you're fine.

People waste so much food with these silly ideas.

I'm sure Mike Rowe from the show 'Dirty Jobs' can shed some light on this rule.