Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Shostak: 'we will find ET within 20 years'

UM-Bot

If they use those tactics. Nothing you have stated changes the fact that we aren't actually defenseless in a ground war. If they invade, we have a chance to win.

And how exactly would we mount this defence if they land a couple of years after we've all been exterminated with a bio-weapon?

For some reason I just can't figure I am not worried about alien invasion. We would long ago have been invaded (billions of years ago) if that were in the cards.

As I said before... they may not have had the technology to get here billions of years ago. Wakey-wakey Frank.

You don't need to worry about it though. If it happens you won't know anything about it.

Edited by Occams Razor

And how exactly would we mount this defence if they land a couple of years after we've all been exterminated with a bio-weapon?

Now you're missing the point.

And, for this:

You missed the point entirely. Intelligence isn't selective, of course they are "linked to one another", if they are intelligent enough to develop inter-stellar travel they will be intelligent right across the board, including bio-weapons development and strategic planning.

It is only your assumption. Bio-weapons and strategic planning have nothing to do with inter-stellar travel. They could have developed their high tech in a civilization with a history completely devoid of war, then stumbled upon the war thing only recently and are abject amateurs at it; and decided to invade what they think is a back-ward planet full of primitives.

Listen. All we're doing now is repeating our same points over and over again. What are you hoping to accomplish here now?

Nobody said it was impossible to have habitable planets near the galactic center, just that the enviroment is much worse than in the supposed boondocks we live in.

No worries... I thought you posted the article in support of what Frank Merton said, and it doesn't.

Listen. All we're doing now is repeating our same points over and over again. What are you hoping to accomplish here now?

Exactly... if you haven't got it by now, you're not going to.

Edited by Occams Razor

Exactly... if you haven't got it by now, you're not going to.

I can say the same for you; beating you about the head and neck with common sense doesn't work. So, I guess I'll give up and let you live in your fantasy world fearful of alien attack and instant destruction.

• Like 1

Its no different than the search for FLT 370 and the poor sod`s that are all at the bottom of the ocean , I have no proof,yet I would tend to think thats a darn good bet !

Like E.T. There out there Man ! :alien:

I can say the same for you; beating you about the head and neck with common sense doesn't work. So, I guess I'll give up and let you live in your fantasy world fearful of alien attack and instant destruction.

No fear of an alien attack... or anything else here.

If you honestly believe a species that could could produce inter-stellar travel technology would be stupid enough to take us on, on our own terms, you're the one living the fantasy. They would have to be as dumb as a post to land and fight a ground war. Being as dumb as a post doesn't go hand in hand with the development of advanced technology. You would have to be as dumb as a post not to see that.

If you don't get it now too bad... that's your lot.

Edited by Occams Razor

Anything with the tech to get here from light years away would likely have methods of removing or eliminating us without us ever knowing they were doing anything. I don't know, given the size of just the known universe, that anyone can predict when we'll contact another civilization. Just too much space out there in space. May they come in peace, if ever they do show up.

• Like 1

No worries... I thought you posted the article in support of what Frank Merton said, and it doesn't.

I brought it up because you asked why the chances of civilizations are smaller in the galactic center.

I think it does bring up some valid points, but as is allways the case with ETs, we really don't know for sure.

(hell we don't even know if they exist)

But i do in fact support what Frank Merton said, as i find i often do :tu:

That topic from Seth is a moot point if ET found us first! :alien::whistle:

No fear of an alien attack... or anything else here.

If you honestly believe a species that could could produce inter-stellar travel technology would be stupid enough to take us on, on our own terms, you're the one living the fantasy. They would have to be as dumb as a post to land and fight a ground war. Being as dumb as a post doesn't go hand in hand with the development of advanced technology. You would have to be as dumb as a post not to see that.

If you don't get it now too bad... that's your lot.

Oh, I see. Now I'm dumb. If name-calling helps your argument, then by all means keep it up. Figured you go route soon anyway...

I do honestly think that some species would be dumb enough to take us on with ground-pounders. The universe is a big place, and for you to think otherwise is a foolishly stupid move. However, I also do think that some might be smart enough to attack us from out of reach--if I were conducting the attack, that's how I would do it.

If you would read carefully what I have posted, you will notice that I never once claimed I was talking about every alien species in the universe, only a hypothetical one, and that they may not necessarily be smart enough to fight a war correctly just because they have advanced technology.

The universe is a big place, and if you're going to label every single civilization out there as exactly the same, then that's your fantasy world, not mine. I'm smart enough to know that they are not all the same, and they are not all equal. Some will have p***-poor tactics. some may not. Some will have the advanced tech to make it here, some will not. Some that do have the advanced tech to make it here won't necessarily have the advanced military tech, or anything better than a basic grasp of combat operations. Why is that so hard to understand? Maybe you're too used to Hollywood and sci-fi stories--real life is much more varied than that. And, again, that's not my problem, it's only yours.

That topic from Seth is a moot point if ET found us first! :alien::whistle:

Tangible evidence would be required though... hearsay, quite rightly, wouldn't satisfy the SETI researchers.

• Like 1

The difference between a complete idiot and a genius is so small, as to be insignificant.

I am sure you would like to think that, but it is simply not the case, hard work is required, simple as that, no amount of quotes or affirmations will change that.

It was only yesterday we learned a little about atomic structure.

Yesterday?

You are referring to the Trinity tests. That's a bit restricting even for you.

In 1789, French scientist named Antoine Lavoisier discovered the law of conservation of mass and defined an element as a basic substance that could not be further broken down by the methods of chemistry, and then in 1805, John Dalton used the concept of atoms to explain why elements always react in ratios of small whole numbers and why certain gases dissolved better in water than others. He also proposed that each element consists of atoms of a single, unique type, and that these atoms can join together to form chemical compounds. As such, Dalton is considered the originator of modern atomic theory. But even before than. man was thinking about atoms, as far back as 1661, Robert Boyle published The Sceptical Chymist in which he argued that matter was composed of various combinations of different "corpuscules" or what we call "atoms" rather than the traditional elements of air, earth, fire and water.

You have ignored all that history to focus on the splitting of the atom. UFOlogy tends to blinker information to force personal ideals. Should you ever familiarise yourself with the achievements of man before sticking your head in the clouds, much would become apparent to you before you make these sort of inane comments attributing everything you do not understand to a higher power.

It seems the height of vanity to refer to ourselves as "intelligent". It's laughable.

For you yes, deliberate ignorance cannot be forgiven.

But as you have illustrated, you tend to go off half-cocked all the time in an effort to appear as though you are "thinking outside the box" when it is apparent that you have not even found the sides of it yet.

We are, all of us, uncivilized brutes.

That would depend on your description of "civilised". To date, the English language has not proven to be your strong point.

If a chain is only as strong as it's weakest link, perhaps likewise, a species is only as intelligent as it's stupidest member?

If that was the case, we probably would not have discovered fire, no, that is not how evolution works at all, the strongest species with regards to evolution is the one that produces the most viable offspring. In todays world, academic achievement means viable offspring.

• Like 1

Tangible evidence would be required though... hearsay, quite rightly, wouldn't satisfy the SETI researchers.

Tangible claims require tangible evidence.

• Like 1

I am sure you would like to think that, but it is simply not the case, hard work is required, simple as that, no amount of quotes or affirmations will change that.

Yesterday?

You are referring to the Trinity tests. That's a bit restricting even for you.

In 1789, French scientist named Antoine Lavoisier discovered the law of conservation of mass and defined an element as a basic substance that could not be further broken down by the methods of chemistry, and then in 1805, John Dalton used the concept of atoms to explain why elements always react in ratios of small whole numbers and why certain gases dissolved better in water than others. He also proposed that each element consists of atoms of a single, unique type, and that these atoms can join together to form chemical compounds. As such, Dalton is considered the originator of modern atomic theory. But even before than. man was thinking about atoms, as far back as 1661, Robert Boyle published The Sceptical Chymist in which he argued that matter was composed of various combinations of different "corpuscules" or what we call "atoms" rather than the traditional elements of air, earth, fire and water.

You have ignored all that history to focus on the splitting of the atom. UFOlogy tends to blinker information to force personal ideals. Should you ever familiarise yourself with the achievements of man before sticking your head in the clouds, much would become apparent to you before you make these sort of inane comments attributing everything you do not understand to a higher power.

For you yes, deliberate ignorance cannot be forgiven.

But as you have illustrated, you tend to go off half-cocked all the time in an effort to appear as though you are "thinking outside the box" when it is apparent that you have not even found the sides of it yet.

That would depend on your description of "civilised". To date, the English language has not proven to be your strong point.

If that was the case, we probably would not have discovered fire, no, that is not how evolution works at all, the strongest species with regards to evolution is the one that produces the most viable offspring. In todays world, academic achievement means viable offspring.

Psycho old son, who let you out of the ward?

Psycho old son, who let you out of the ward?

I broke out.

I stole the read cordial. About to swim to PNG just for something to do!

SETI listens for radio wave echoes from outer space based non existent radios. I like to hear Seth "talk the talk" on late night radio but his $$$ funded antenna signal finders might as well be deaf, and we know he is not dumb and blind. I will stop there since I think everything that lives or once lived was seeded.

Luckily Malaria_Kidd you don't have to worry about the cost of SETI, its paid for with private funds.

How do you know the radio waves are non existant ?

Life was seeded by whom ?

Edited by Noteverythingisaconspiracy

Luckily Malaria_Kidd you don't have to worry about the cost of SETI, its paid for with private funds.

How do you know the radio waves are non existant ?

Life was seeded by whom ?

#1) I know by listening to Seth talk over the years that private funding makes this happen.

#2) I've always doubted any beings "out there" would have or need such antiquated communication devices like radios.

#3) Your guess is as good as mine! :whistle:

SETI listens for radio wave echoes from outer space based non existent radios.

Incorrect, SETI listens for any narrow bandwidth radio signals that suggest they are synthetically structured, this would indicate they were being radiated from a device constructed by a critter smart enough to build a transmitter. If they found such a signal and it was verified by other radio telescopes we would know without a doubt that intelligent life exists out there.

• Like 1

#2) I've always doubted any beings "out there" would have or need such antiquated communication devices like radios.

Why? We do.

• Like 1

SETI listens for radio wave echoes from outer space based non existent radios. I like to hear Seth "talk the talk" on late night radio but his $$$ funded antenna signal finders might as well be deaf, and we know he is not dumb and blind.

Space is absolutely filled with different types of radio waves. To travel space you need to be aware of their "Antiquated" messages. If you just discount everything as "old" what is to stop in crashing a spaceship into a neutron star? Not to mention it would be awful handy to know if an "antiquated" gamma burst is heading your way, the gamma rays do not care how outdated one might classify them, they will still destroy you, and everything around you.

I will stop there since I think everything that lives or once lived was seeded.

Chicken and the egg there isn't it. How do you seed when something has to grow to produce the seeds. Seeds cannot just exist, or they would not have to be "Seeded"

Where the hell is seeder anyway.

Edited by psyche101

I left this thread for the same reason; dominance by one person with a rather unlikely scenario who won't tolerate and makes snide attacks on other points of view. He is not in the least persuasive that we are in any danger. Irony is we might be (I've seen some big names on this) but the approach is so offbeat and unscientific and he has no proposal what we should do about it.