Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Shostak: 'we will find ET within 20 years'

UM-Bot

They're already here...idiots.

Good point !

You make you case in a considered and respectful manner, and the amount of proof you offer is very convincing.

Warning: This post may contain more than you recomended daily intake of sarcasm.

Edited by Noteverythingisaconspiracy

You see, it is only idiots who don't know they are already here. The rest of us who remain unpersuaded are just dumb-asses. Then there a luck few who've had their posteriors probed.

I've always thought the notion of searching for radio noise from a distant world to be a bit naive given the distances. We've had radio communication for only around 100 years now and we're already beginning to digitize our signals globally so they are harder to decipher. Within another 50 years earth will "appear" nearly radio silent against the background radiation. If you think about it, is it really such a great idea to stand and shout "we are here!" when we don't know who's listening?

Even assuming radio communications are still used 200 years from now, that still only covers a short time in our entire history that our civilation would be leaving that footprint. So presumably, for any given evolution of intelligent life, only a small portion of that will be marked by a "radio" age. If a planet is 400 light years away, we'd have to be pretty lucky indeed to find a civilization that developed in parallel close enough to our timeline for this to be plausible, I think.

Just think if they are receiving our television signals and are watching The Honeymooners! Bang! Zoom! Alice!

That should keep them away from Earth!

I've often thought this. I think we should remember the book, "How to Serve Man". :cry:

twilightzone-to-serve-man.jpg

Mmmmmm!