Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Nephilim Giants

LucidElement

I figured this is a mix between History and Religion, but it focuses on history and as a history major and me spending most my time in this forum I figured id post it here... Im curious to hear your thoughts on this.

(Taken from Yahoo Answers)

According to Hebraic and other legends (the Book of Enoch and other non-biblical writings), they were a race of giants and super-heroes who did acts of great evil. Their great size and power likely came from the mixture of demonic “DNA” with human genetics. All that the Bible directly says about them is that they were “heroes of old, men of renown” (Genesis 6:4). The Nephilim were not aliens, they were literal, physical beings produced from the union of the sons of God and daughters of men (Genesis 6:1-4).

What happened to the Nephilim? The Nephilim were one of the primary reasons for the great flood in Noah's time. Immediately after the Nephilim are mentioned, God's Word tells us this: “The LORD saw how great man's wickedness on the earth had become, and that every inclination of the thoughts of his heart was only evil all the time. The LORD was grieved that he had made man on the earth, and his heart was filled with pain. So the LORD said, ‘I will wipe mankind, whom I have created, from the face of the earth—men and animals, and creatures that move along the ground, and birds of the air—for I am grieved that I have made them’” (Genesis 6:5-7). So, God proceeded to flood the entire earth, killing everyone and everything (including the Nephilim) other than Noah and his family and the animals on the ark (Genesis 6:11-22).

Were there Nephilim after the flood? Genesis 6:4 tells us, “The Nephilim were on the earth in those days — and also afterward.” It seems that the demons repeated their sin sometime after the flood as well. However, it likely took place to a much lesser extent than it did prior to the flood. When the Israelites spied out the land of Canaan, they reported back to Moses: “We saw the Nephilim there (the descendants of Anak come from the Nephilim). We seemed like grasshoppers in our own eyes, and we looked the same to them” (Numbers 13:33). Now, this passage does not specifically say that the Nephilim were genuinely there, only that the spies thought they saw the Nephilim. It is more likely that the spies witnessed very large people in Canaan and mistakenly believed them to be the Nephilim. Or, it is possible that after the flood the demons again mated with human females, producing more Nephilim. Whatever the case, these “giants” were destroyed by the Israelites during their invasion of Canaan (Joshua 11:21-22) and later in their history (Deuteronomy 3:11; 1 Samuel 17).

What prevents the demons from producing more Nephilim today? It seems that God put an end to demons mating with humans by placing all the demons who committed such an act in the Abyss. Jude verse 6 tells us, “And the angels who did not keep their positions of authority but abandoned their own home—these he has kept in darkness, bound with everlasting chains for judgment on the great Day.” Obviously, not all of the demons are in “prison” today, so there must have been a group of demons who committed further grievous sin beyond the original fall. Presumably, the demons who mated with human females are the ones who are “bound with everlasting chains.” This would prevent any more demons from attempting such an act.

So although there were Nephilim after the flood (Genesis 6:3 and Numbers 13:33) they were wiped out by the Israelites during their invasion of Caanan (Joshua 11:21-22). More importantly, God has prevented demons from mating with human females. GT

• Like 2

Interesting post. I have always been fascinated with the concept of genuine giants being mentioned the Bible.The quick allusions to these.."nephilim" I find very intriguing...none of the scribes/monks/translators removed the passages from the final cut either. Also intriguing..

What prevents the demons from producing more Nephilim today? It seems that God put an end to demons mating with humans by placing all the demons who committed such an act in the Abyss. Jude verse 6 tells us, “And the angels who did not keep their positions of authority but abandoned their own home—these he has kept in darkness, bound with everlasting chains for judgment on the great Day.” Obviously, not all of the demons are in “prison” today, so there must have been a group of demons who committed further grievous sin beyond the original fall. Presumably, the demons who mated with human females are the ones who are “bound with everlasting chains.” This would prevent any more demons from attempting such an act.

What makes you think they've stopped? There actually are reports of human/alien hybrids as well as research going on with mixing genetics of differing species. It's only a matter of time in my opinion. Isn't there a reference somewhere that the end times will be like in the days on Noah?

• Like 2

I figured this is a mix between History and Religion, but it focuses on history and as a history major and me spending most my time in this forum I figured id post it here... Im curious to hear your thoughts on this.

(Taken from Yahoo Answers)

According to Hebraic and other legends (the Book of Enoch and other non-biblical writings), they were a race of giants and super-heroes who did acts of great evil. Their great size and power likely came from the mixture of demonic “DNA” with human genetics. All that the Bible directly says about them is that they were “heroes of old, men of renown” (Genesis 6:4). The Nephilim were not aliens, they were literal, physical beings produced from the union of the sons of God and daughters of men (Genesis 6:1-4).

What happened to the Nephilim? The Nephilim were one of the primary reasons for the great flood in Noah's time. Immediately after the Nephilim are mentioned, God's Word tells us this: “The LORD saw how great man's wickedness on the earth had become, and that every inclination of the thoughts of his heart was only evil all the time. The LORD was grieved that he had made man on the earth, and his heart was filled with pain. So the LORD said, ‘I will wipe mankind, whom I have created, from the face of the earth—men and animals, and creatures that move along the ground, and birds of the air—for I am grieved that I have made them’” (Genesis 6:5-7). So, God proceeded to flood the entire earth, killing everyone and everything (including the Nephilim) other than Noah and his family and the animals on the ark (Genesis 6:11-22).

Were there Nephilim after the flood? Genesis 6:4 tells us, “The Nephilim were on the earth in those days — and also afterward.” It seems that the demons repeated their sin sometime after the flood as well. However, it likely took place to a much lesser extent than it did prior to the flood. When the Israelites spied out the land of Canaan, they reported back to Moses: “We saw the Nephilim there (the descendants of Anak come from the Nephilim). We seemed like grasshoppers in our own eyes, and we looked the same to them” (Numbers 13:33). Now, this passage does not specifically say that the Nephilim were genuinely there, only that the spies thought they saw the Nephilim. It is more likely that the spies witnessed very large people in Canaan and mistakenly believed them to be the Nephilim. Or, it is possible that after the flood the demons again mated with human females, producing more Nephilim. Whatever the case, these “giants” were destroyed by the Israelites during their invasion of Canaan (Joshua 11:21-22) and later in their history (Deuteronomy 3:11; 1 Samuel 17).

So although there were Nephilim after the flood (Genesis 6:3 and Numbers 13:33) they were wiped out by the Israelites during their invasion of Caanan (Joshua 11:21-22). More importantly, God has prevented demons from mating with human females. GT

Nice post, but this is all based off of a man-made series of stories, albeit taken from older sources. Now, instead of just relying on the Bible (which is merely a starting point if someone wants to delve into the history of near-prehistory, and shouldn't be taken as a definitive source), one should investigate the source of these stories from the Bible--where the authors of the Bible got them from. We need more info from the original bronze-age sky god religions of that part of the world.

That would be an interesting read.

• Like 1

The nephilim might have been Gutians, who might have been a large fair gothic type, certainly speaking an IE language who stormed through Southern Mesopotamia into Sumerian to overthrow the Akkadian empire.

They were seen as utter barbarians who didn't know how to worship the local gods, special instance mentioned about offending Marduk so that god finally ejected them from the land of Sumer.

Nephilim might equate to followers of Orion, who himself is a giant man warrior. They may have a relation to Philistines, 'phil' is in both names and Goliath was a giant of a man, compared to the Hebrew David.

The Gutians last king was Tirigan, he rained, sorry reigned for 40 days.

Edited by The Puzzler
  • Like 3

The Book of Enoch, as far as I know, is only accepted by the Ethiopian Orthodox Church. The same people who have the Ark of the Covenant in a hut, guarded by one priest.

But, yes, they would be humans descended from the fallen angels. Some Bibles use the word Heros, and some use the word Giants.

God did not wipe out these people because they were monsters, or giants. He did so because they were evil.

I believe that is what most people read it as. That there were giants in Canaan and the Israelites called them "Nephilim" because that is the word they knew.

Many do now believe that those fallen angels don't actually walk the Earth in a physical form anymore. Going off what Jesus did with banishing demons, the demons only can exist here inside anothers body. Perhaps all the physical bodies of these fallen angels have been destroyed or locked up? Anyway, I don't think any more demon+human Nephilim are going to be turning up.

I actually don't think we're going to ever find any Nephilim remains, because, though I am a Christian, I think the Bible is mainly about teaching lessons and values and ethics, and not a hard work of history.

• Like 3

I have heard a rather interesting theory that I like to share. It has quite a bit to do with translations and story telling.

When the Greeks translated the ancient Hebrew texts (which were written down from much older, oral stories) they had some problems. There were certain words that there were no translation for..."Nephalim" being one of them. The theory says that when these circumstaces arose, the greek scholars would "borrow" things from Greek myths to fill in the blanks.

The closest translation for "Nephalim" is actually "without a soul".

The modern theory is that "the stories" of "the nephalim" began with oral stories... from the times when homo sapiens interacted with the slowly disappearing homo neanderthalensis...they were considered less than "human" by the ever growing population of homo sapiens...so....there you have it.

It actually makes a lot of sense to me....no spookiness, no spaghetti monsters...just stories based on facts....embellished over thousands of years before actually being written down.

Edited by Jeremiah65
  • Like 3

The sons of Gods are mating with mortal women all throughout Greek myths, these men became heroes of old, like Perseus.

Seems like a just a similar reference.

Narum-sin was the first to claim he was an actual God I think, in Mesopotamia at least.

I actually don't think we're going to ever find any Nephilim remains, because, though I am a Christian, I think the Bible is mainly about teaching lessons and values and ethics, and not a hard work of history.

Well there is a sensible and positive statement reflecting reality! :tu:

• Like 4

"What prevents the demons from producing more Nephilim today?"

It is my understanding that it was not demons that mated with humans but fallen angels that did. The offspring were an unnatural creation., When they died, their spirit could not return to God because it was not a human soul, the spirits roam the earth as demons.

The punisment for the angels transgression was harse, this is why most believe others did not repeat the crime. But some speculate that hibreds are still being created, soulless, through DNA cloning. Under the cover of alien abduction. They can control it better to keep them from being giant and fitting in better with humans.

• Like 2

"What prevents the demons from producing more Nephilim today?"

It is my understanding that it was not demons that mated with humans but fallen angels that did. The offspring were an unnatural creation., When they died, their spirit could not return to God because it was not a human soul, the spirits roam the earth as demons.

The punisment for the angels transgression was harse, this is why most believe others did not repeat the crime. But some speculate that hibreds are still being created, soulless, through DNA cloning. Under the cover of alien abduction. They can control it better to keep them from being giant and fitting in better with humans.

I'd find it interesting to find out where that teaching came from?

wouldnt there be any sort of evidence, bones or something that would pertain to the nephilim giants?

wouldnt there be any sort of evidence, bones or something that would pertain to the nephilim giants?

Maybe mythical demonic giant humanoids' skeletons aren't made of bone.

Maybe mythical demonic giant humanoids' skeletons aren't made of bone.

If you do a little research on this topic in the 1800's in America there are plenty of reports of people finding large skeletons that for some reason "fell apart" when exposed to air.

which does kind of back up your statement if they are the offspring of demons(fallen angels) would they have a different physical make-up?

What happened to the Nephilim?

Died with their authors.

If you do a little research on this topic in the 1800's in America there are plenty of reports of people finding large skeletons that for some reason "fell apart" when exposed to air.

which does kind of back up your statement if they are the offspring of demons(fallen angels) would they have a different physical make-up?

Okay, fair enough, but just to make my position clear, I do not believe in demons, fallen angels, or the giant offspring of anything like that as it pertains to the modern religious descriptions of them. My post was a bit of sarcasm.

But, since you made it serious, I think I will tool around the internet (before it becomes the property of a foreign power) and see what kind of "evidence" the crazies have posted about disappearing skeletons.

If you were as familiar with these 19th Century papers as you claim, Misk, you'd know the regularly ran obviously fake stories to increase circulation. You maybe want to re-think citing non-specific general "newspaper" articles with obviously manufactures stories as a reliable source?

Note: if you don't, that's cool. But if youo don't, I do have some very promising investment opportunities for you to consider. Two words: Brooklyn Bridge.

--Jaylemurph

• Like 2

If you were as familiar with these 19th Century papers as you claim, Misk, you'd know the regularly ran obviously fake stories to increase circulation. You maybe want to re-think citing non-specific general "newspaper" articles with obviously manufactures stories as a reliable source?

Note: if you don't, that's cool. But if youo don't, I do have some very promising investment opportunities for you to consider. Two words: Brooklyn Bridge.

--Jaylemurph

Actually my sources are history books published pre-1900 not "newspaper" articles you believe I was citing.

what got me interested in this topic was a forward in a revised 4th edition of one of the history books. the editor stated that while most of the "eye-witness" accounts of historical events were great.

the reader should take the accounts of giant skeletons and human remains with a grain of salt.

the book in question was originally published in 1834 the author interviewed people who fought in the French and Indian war and were around when a lot of my area was settled.

it only mentioned giant remains twice in the book but the editor of the 4th edition went out of his way to make sure to discount those statements. why?

the more I dug the more I questioned.

What happened to the Nephilim?

What do you think think the "N" in "NBA" stands for?

• Like 2

I've read somewhere that people who possesed greater strength and height than your average human where considered born from a human woman and a God/Angel (even today we get the odd Tall person, possibly less adavanced people would believe these are half Gods).

Now maybe this spies report of a second Nephilim Giants was some physically bigger Europeans in there armor.

Dare I say the first accounts of the Giants was the same people ravaging the lands ?

my...this is pretty much like how so many religions and differents sects within those beliefs came about--reading what all said about the ancient giants reminded me of this...remains of such are and have been found (not gonna tell you--look), but up to a certain point, i agree with what the one poster said about the Word of God being mainly for the salvation of the human race--which in itself points at a real, literal battle between good and evil--don't forget, bros and sis--this isn't about us--we're just in the middle of it, and the greater majority of people don't even know, with even less caring. went off on a tangent there. a lot of findings are hidden because those who do have their own agendas; some things are never found because the Almighty doesn't want them found...theres more to say...there always is...but not now.

almost forgot--one last thing--the Pawnee Indians of America have in their handed-down verbal histories memories of battles with red-haired giants; by their accounts, such beings were thought cowards; and they were slow moving.

almost forgot--one last thing--the Pawnee Indians of America have in their handed-down verbal histories memories of battles with red-haired giants; by their accounts, such beings were thought cowards; and they were slow moving.

Descendants from Viking explorers, or Vikings themselves. If it is even true, which it is most likely not.

BTW, why post in the text that you do while underlining everything?

remains of such are and have been found (not gonna tell you--look),

Remains of such...( Not gonna tell you... Oh hell, who am I kidding? Of course I am!) are not real.

• Like 1