Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Mom sues gun shop that sold to daughter

Rafterman

Yet it appears that "what someone else said" is the basis for the lawsuit. Maybe I'm wrong here, not sure.

Harte

In this country pretty much anything is a basis to file suit. Now whether you will win the suit, or perhaps be charged with filing a frivolous suit is another matter.

One of the saddest interviews I ever heard in my life was one with the brother of the man who shot up Café Racer in Seattle. The gunman was mentally ill, known to the police, he'd been arrested a few times but never charged, one of those arrests was for domestic violence too. He owned a number of fire arms. After he walked into a coffee shop and killed 4 people, and critically injuring one, the local paper interviewed the killers brother... when asked what he felt when he'd heard what his brother did, all he could say was "We knew it was coming, we did everything we could to remove his weapons, and get him help. We couldn't even get him mental health treatment." That's SAD. This family begged for help from everyone including police, the medical community, the state, and no one could help them prevent what they know was inevitable.

There has to be a way to fix this. I don't know what it is, but something needs to be done.

Edited by MissMelsWell

One of the saddest interviews I ever heard in my life was one with the brother of the man who shot up Café Racer in Seattle. The gunman was mentally ill, known to the police, he'd been arrested a few times but never charged, one of those arrests was for domestic violence too. He owned a number of fire arms. After he walked into a coffee shop and killed 4 people, and critically injuring one, the local paper interviewed the killers brother... when asked what he felt when he'd heard what his brother did, all he could say was "We knew it was coming, we did everything we could to remove his weapons, and get him help. We couldn't even get him mental health treatment." That's SAD. This family begged for help from everyone including police, the medical community, the state, and no one could help them prevent what they know was inevitable.

There has to be a way to fix this. I don't know what it is, but something needs to be done.

I don't know about Washington but here in Florida we have a law, the Baker Act, that allows relatives, or law enforcement, to have a person they think might be mentally ill to be seen by a qualified doctor to determine the state of their mental health. If the doctor feels that they are a threat to themselves or others they are placed in a mental hospital. They get a hearing every 6 months to see if they are well enough to be released.

I don't know about Washington but here in Florida we have a law, the Baker Act, that allows relatives, or law enforcement, to have a person they think might be mentally ill to be seen by a qualified doctor to determine the state of their mental health. If the doctor feels that they are a threat to themselves or others they are placed in a mental hospital. They get a hearing every 6 months to see if they are well enough to be released.

Here in Washington, they can't hold the person if that person hasn't committed a crime. The Café Racer shooter wouldn't take his meds, or would for long enough to be deemed "OK" then would go back off them. But mostly, it's virtually impossible to get anyone involuntarily committed for longer than 72 hours. And even if they had been committed for 72 hours stays, even multiple, it would never show up on a background check due to HIPPA laws.

The short story is that until laws are changed on the Federal, State and local levels, crazy people will continue to get firearms even though everyone around them who knows and loves them pleads until they're blue in the face for help.

Edited by MissMelsWell
  • Like 1

I wonder if the mom called a hardware store and told the owner not to sell her a hammer.

• Like 2

Here in Washington, they can't hold the person if that person hasn't committed a crime. The Café Racer shooter wouldn't take his meds, or would for long enough to be deemed "OK" then would go back off them. But mostly, it's virtually impossible to get anyone involuntarily committed for longer than 72 hours. And even if they had been committed for 72 hours stays, even multiple, it would never show up on a background check due to HIPPA laws.

The short story is that until laws are changed on the Federal, State and local levels, crazy people will continue to get firearms even though everyone around them who knows and loves them pleads until they're blue in the face for help.

They used to have a way of completely removing any suspected people with a mental illness from society. Insane asylums. Unfortunately Having the ability to claim anyone is insane and having them immediately transported for "evaluation" had its own host of problems. Especially for women. I don't think I would want to go back to that solution.

Edited by Aus Der Box Skeptisch

Mental health is dynamic and we're all on a spectrum. Many of us are a lot more fragile than we even know. Give me the sanest person in the world and I'll deprive them of sleep for seven days straight and I'll produce a bumbling psychotic mess. But yeah, they still could have owned legal firearms they bought a few years earlier.

It takes resources to keep one's wits together, but **** still happens. The possibility of it happening is no reason to deny people their rights.

• Like 3

I'm also sensitive about mentally unbalanced people having firearms. I know two people personally who should never have been sold a firearm, and everyone around them knew they shouldn't have one and there was no way to have them relieved of their guns or get them help for their condition. One killed someone with his, the other had an episode and shot at a bunch of random unsuspecting kids, luckily he didn't hurt anyone. Both were off their meds.

I also have a friend that works for the DA... she reads and redacts police reports all day long for trial purpose and for public information requests. She says the vast number of those reports where a firearm is present are one of three things... either the user is under the influence, or it's a domestic situation, or the person is mentally ill (she also gets the occasional gang related unregistered illegal use of firearms, but it's not as often as most would like to think). She says it's pretty rare that she comes across a report where the user was an upstanding citizen who used his firearm to protect himself. Her advice to gun owners is that if you do protect yourself with your firearm, call the damn police and file a report, because from their point of view based on the data they have, it rarely happens in the real world. She says if you're only weakening your own position if you don't report it.

Believe it or not, I'm not anti-firearms. But I do advocate more responsible sales and more responsible ownership.

• 2 weeks later...

Canada warns US citizens of confiscation of guns.

[media=]

[/media]

lmao, that is strange, most canadians here, tell us we're paranoid, and no one is planning to take our guns, regestration is for our own good.

but thanks canada for the tip anyway, but we kinda figured it long ago.

Edited by aztek