Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Timeless and STINGY

rapture

What is the rush? The majority of humans barely live in reality; are profoundly uneducated and fearful of just about everything. Add to that an existences not drastically different than the cows or the chickens. (The bread and circuses slightly better )The life expectancy...80-90 years tops if lucky or rich... decreases with every increase in the I.Q.; Nevertheless; If God is Timeless... why the infinitesimally small amount allotted to humans( his favorite) to accept him?

Edited by rapture

Wait, you of all people are criticising others of being uneducated and fearful? You, the guy who believes reptilian aliens rape and eat humans... Not to mention this Nibiru nonsense.

Edited by Rlyeh
  • Like 2

Wait, you of all people are criticising others of being uneducated and fearful? You, the guy who believes reptilian aliens rape and eat humans... Not to mention this Nibiru nonsense.

Humans rape and eat other humans...s it that far-fetched some other species wants to get in on the fun? Anyways I criticize no one

What is the rush? The majority of humans barely live in reality; are profoundly uneducated and fearful of just about everything. Add to that an existences not drastically different than the cows or the chickens. (The bread and circuses slightly better )The life expectancy...80-90 years tops if lucky or rich... decreases with every increase in the I.Q.; Nevertheless; If God is Timeless... why the infinitesimally small amount allotted to humans( his favorite) to accept him?

The majority of humans barely live in reality; are profoundly uneducated and fearful of just about everything.

wrong,

Add to that an existences not drastically different than the cows or the chickens.

wrong,

The life expectancy...80-90 years tops if lucky or rich... decreases with every increase in the I.Q

wrong,

• Like 1

I apparently have a much higher opinion of humanity than you do. I can't imagine going through life holding such negative views, it seems there would be little, if anything, to enjoy. Myself, I'm not one to waste an opportunity to find pleasure, joy, beauty, friendship, love, appreciation. Our life span is relatively short, that's why we need to pack as much living as we can into it.

• Like 1

What is the rush? The majority of humans barely live in reality; are profoundly uneducated and fearful of just about everything.

I can't all together disagree with that statement. I wouldn't say the majority, :rolleyes: but a good share of them anyway. All you have to is look at the American Congress. It is the general population who votes them into office.

• Like 1

Living where I do, on a remote hilltop in the heartland of America, surrounded by beauty and wildlife and peace, I'm amazed that it takes more than 30 minutes for a person to accept a good and loving God.

• Like 3

Lamellibrachia tube worms have longer life spans than humans

SO do some turtles, what's your point?

SO do some turtles, what's your point?

he's complaining about god showing favoritism and finding out that he likes tube worms better

i think

:huh:

Edited by JGirl
  • Like 2

God likes worms and turtles more than us?

Well, explains why he made some of them teenage mutant ninjas at least.

Ive always been confused w/ people angry at god for favoritism.

If you're accepting the presence of God, then yorue accepting him as the total authority and creator.

...So he can pretty much do as he wants, because he made it all. so, maybe he does show favoritism, maybe he doesnt.

Nothing we can do about it

• Like 1

Well theoretically we made up our minds in the first five minutes of human existence to reject him. But how long should it take? Most humans have an adequate human life span to make up their minds, unless they are procrastinating. "No one knows the days or hours of their life so make up your mind now" is a very ancient suggestion.

Well theoretically we made up our minds in the first five minutes of human existence to reject him.

Is that something you made up?
  • Like 2

Humans rape and eat other humans...s it that far-fetched some other species wants to get in on the fun? Anyways I criticize no one

They also toil all their lives to alleviate the suffering of their fellow human.

Living where I do, on a remote hilltop in the heartland of America, surrounded by beauty and wildlife and peace, I'm amazed that it takes more than 30 minutes for a person to accept a good and loving God.

Because you can't construct a sound world view by just looking at the pretty things. When considering a proposition you have to consider the evidence for and against it.

• Like 4

Because you can't construct a sound world view by just looking at the pretty things. When considering a proposition you have to consider the evidence for and against it.

The "pretty things" are an indication that God is good and loving. God's character is partly revealed to us in the physical things He created.

The existence of God is a different debate. We're surrounded by evidence. In these modern times, it seems the choices for the interpretation of the evidence have been narrowed down to two possibilities: God exists, or God doesn't exist.

Regarding Rapture's question about the briefness of the time allotted to us: perhaps that's the reason we're surrounded by so much evidence. God has tilted the argument in His favor by giving us plenty of evidence to choose from in making our decision.

Edited by simplybill
  • Like 1

The "pretty things" are an indication that God is good and loving. God's character is partly revealed to us in the physical things He created.

Following your reasoning ugly things indicate God is evil and hateful. Assuming your reasoning is consistent.
The existence of God is a different debate. We're surrounded by evidence. In these modern times, it seems the choices for the interpretation of the evidence have been narrowed down to two possibilities: God exists, or God doesn't exist.

The argument from ignorance always crops up. Edited by Rlyeh
  • Like 2

I think this question stems from the, in my opinion erroneous, and very human idea that more automatically equals better.

If there is a god who dictates our time on earth, why would giving us more time automatically mean he likes us more?

They also toil all their lives to alleviate the suffering of their fellow human.

Comparing the lifespans of humans and tube worms, going from one extreme to the other, doesn't sound like a good way to construct a world view, because there are many more important factors than life spans to consider, one of them being sentience, another consciousness, how the brain is constructed and works, opposable thumbs, phylum, etc.

• Like 1

I agree, however I'm not sure we are looking at the word "evidence" from the same perspective. I understand evidence as an "incomplete" noun, requiring a conclusion of some sort in order to be relevant. My conlusion after looking at the evidence is that God exists.

In regards to Rapture's question, I believe "beauty" (or "beautifulness)" is a better partial description of God's character than stingy or stinginess.

Edited by simplybill

Following your reasoning ugly things indicate God is evil and hateful. Assuming your reasoning is consistent.

We may be looking at the word beauty from different perspectives. I think of beauty as an indication of the existence of perfection or "perfectness". I think of ugliness as "having a potential for beauty" (as in "He turns ashes to beauty").

Edited by simplybill

I disagree. While I am ultimately agnostic about the question of whether there is an intelligence behind the Universe, I think we can conclude that it is wrong to give the creator human traits at all.

People suffer and prosper in accordance with natures laws. The same force that allows a depressed person to commit suicide by jumping off a bridge allows a thrill seeker to sky dive. The force that carries a football through the goal post carries bullets through peoples bodies. The electricity that powers the technology that brings us all closer sometimes comes from the sky and kills people.

And that isn't even getting to the diversity of the biosphere, which can kill or sustain us in a plethora of ways. You have to account for dysentery, malaria and parasites which cause great suffering. You have to account for the evolved shortcomings of the human body and mind. Frankly I think you have to ignore a lot of bad things to make the conclusion that god is good and loving.

I disagree. While I am ultimately agnostic about the question of whether there is an intelligence behind the Universe, I think we can conclude that it is wrong to give the creator human traits at all.

People suffer and prosper in accordance with natures laws. The same force that allows a depressed person to commit suicide by jumping off a bridge allows a thrill seeker to sky dive. The force that carries a football through the goal post carries bullets through peoples bodies. The electricity that powers the technology that brings us all closer sometimes comes from the sky and kills people.

And that isn't even getting to the diversity of the biosphere, which can kill or sustain us in a plethora of ways. You have to account for dysentery, malaria and parasites which cause great suffering. You have to account for the evolved shortcomings of the human body and mind. Frankly I think you have to ignore a lot of bad things to make the conclusion that god is good and loving.

That middle paragraph was very well written, almost poetic. Nice work.

I'm concerned that we're veering off- topic, but I wanted to say briefly that because we are made in God's image, it's not unreasonable to expect that God has emotions and characteristics similar to ours.

If someone started a new topic along the lines of say, "How Does One Reconcile the God of the Old Testament with the Jesus of the New Testament?" then I might be able to give a better response.

We may be looking at the word beauty from different perspectives. I think of beauty as an indication of the existence of perfection or "perfectness". I think of ugliness as "having a potential for beauty" (as in "He turns ashes to beauty").

Or you're looking at an ugly world from a different perspective. Not sure how you turn something like parasites or cancer into beauty.

Or you're looking at an ugly world from a different perspective. Not sure how you turn something like parasites or cancer into beauty.

They are often physically beautiful, their life and reproduction is a thing of beauty, and they have a role within life that is not always negative . We could not live without parasites within us .
  • Like 1

They are often physically beautiful, their life and reproduction is a thing of beauty, and they have a role within life that is not always negative . We could not live without parasites within us .

So you can show me a beautiful cancer or a beautiful tape worm?