Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Hundreds flock to glowing Virgin Mary statue

Still Waters

Hundreds have been flocking to a house in southern Belgium to catch a glimpse of a small statue of the Virgin Mary that reportedly glows in the dark.

Local media reported that 500 people visited the house in the quiet town of Jalhay on Wednesday to witness what is being referred to as "the mysterious glowing Virgin".

http://www.smh.com.a...0314-hvii6.html

• Like 1

I am sure they make virgin mary nite lites.

• Like 2

The owners of the statue have refused to allow it to be removed for further examination, saying "she is fine where she is".

• Like 3

not much to go on, or a photo......... so i guess they never heard of jade stone or fluorspar, or even phoseshoresence

• Like 1

This isn't intended to bash Catholics, it is a sincere question and one that troubles me when I see these reports. If God told us not to have any graven image to worship why would he then allow such apparitions as a point of worship? Usually these are statues that weep, seep, glow, etc. And thousands of faithful become so mesmerized that if the darned thing spoke to them they'd believe and probably act on anything it said. It's kind of frightening when you think about it.

• Like 3

Many agents such as laundry detergent would make it glow in the early evening & for awhile after sundown. UV light is still quite strong even though visible light has dissipated. Many substances that glow are transparent or whitish in color. I'm a Christian but I'm not terribly gullible.

• Like 1

I wasn't aware that there were hundreds of Catholics left in Belgium. Europians are becoming post-Christian secularists.

It is interesting to understand why it would be glowing.

She cannot come here to heal an entire children's hospital of patients suffering from fatal diseases, but makes a statue glow.

Nice!

I should make a statue of the Vestal virgin Rhea Silvia who was made a mother by Mars, and finish it off with glow in the dark paint.

http://www.pantheon....hea_silvia.html

I should also make a statue of Inanna when she was turned into a corpse, hung on a hook, then rescued after three days and nights.Being resurrected by life giving water, and plants, I will make the statue weep green water.

http://etcsl.orinst....tion1/tr141.htm

Edited by davros of skaro
  • Like 2

Glow in the dark? At least shes not crying blood :tu::tsu::clap: sounds nice

Edited by Black Magic

This isn't intended to bash Catholics, it is a sincere question and one that troubles me when I see these reports. If God told us not to have any graven image to worship why would he then allow such apparitions as a point of worship? Usually these are statues that weep, seep, glow, etc. And thousands of faithful become so mesmerized that if the darned thing spoke to them they'd believe and probably act on anything it said. It's kind of frightening when you think about it.

Having attended many Catholic services (though not a Catholic myself) they have many teachings that seem at odds with what can clearly be understood in Scripture. Yes, they are very heavy into icons, statues and the like. Historically these images were often used to tell Biblical stories in "picture book form" to an often illiterate congregation, as are stained-glass windows in other denominations. But I would say it goes far beyond that. For one thing Christ is often portrayed only in infant form and Mary is elevated to a position that rivals God in worship. I have seen gigantic shrines to "Mary, Queen of the Universe" and so forth. See is portrayed as an eternal virgin, while Scripture clearly states Mary and Joseph did not have sexual relations until after Jesus was born (Matt. 1:25) and that Christ had brothers (Mark 3:31).

It is hard to tell how much of this is mere trickery for fame and/or profit and how much of it is spiritual deception. But there does seem to be lot of this kind of thing about.

Ephesians 6:12

King James Version (KJV)

12 For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.

2 Corinthians 11:3,14

New International Version (NIV)

Paul and the False Apostles

3 But I am afraid that just as Eve was deceived by the serpent’s cunning, your minds may somehow be led astray from your sincere and pure devotion to Christ.

14 And no wonder, for Satan himself masquerades as an angel of light.

As for a statue speaking to and mesmerizing followers, consider:

Revelation 13

New International Version (NIV)

15 The second beast (the False Prophet) was given power to give breath to the image of the first beast (the Antichrist), so that the image could speak and cause all who refused to worship the image to be killed. 16 It also forced all people, great and small, rich and poor, free and slave, to receive a mark on their right hands or on their foreheads, 17 so that they could not buy or sell unless they had the mark, which is the name of the beast or the number of its name.18 This calls for wisdom. Let the person who has insight calculate the number of the beast, for it is the number of a man. That number is 666.

• Like 2

Hundreds have been flocking to a house in southern Belgium to catch a glimpse of a small statue of the Virgin Mary that reportedly glows in the dark.

Local media reported that 500 people visited the house in the quiet town of Jalhay on Wednesday to witness what is being referred to as "the mysterious glowing Virgin".

http://www.smh.com.a...0314-hvii6.html

No pictures or video ?

Edited by thedutchiedutch
  • Like 2

Truley this is the work of the lord. Do not heal the sick, oh lord. Do not spare us tragedy, oh lord. Do not punish the wicked nor save the faithful, oh lord.

Just make our statutes glow.

• Like 4

Huh. If the owners do not allow it to be investigated for "natural or manmade causes", what can we do but go Huh...

• Like 2

The figures on my watch glow in the dark, should I say a prayer to it...

• Like 5

Could somebody have put some type of florescent paint on it?

and that Christ had brothers (Mark 3:31).

I've always wondered about that too. Clearly Mary gave Jesus several younger (half?) brothers, so she was far from a virgin when she died.

Maybe there is Black Light hidden somewhere nearby?

Given the TOTAL circumstances of this case, I call a "hoax"

• Like 2

Truley this is the work of the lord. Do not heal the sick, oh lord. Do not spare us tragedy, oh lord. Do not punish the wicked nor save the faithful, oh lord.

Just make our statutes glow.

And appear on toast, amen.
  • Like 3

When I was a kid I had glowing stickers, no one came to worship them..

• Like 2

i believe Our Lady is Powerful. Shes Jesus Mother. I love connecting with her.

She is so loving and ALWAYS answers my prayer..

I can connect to her spirit through statues. Statues help to open my heart more.

Nothing to do with Icons.. idiots.. think we go around worshiping statues..!!

The owners of the statue have refused to allow it to be removed for further examination, saying "she is fine where she is".

Translation: "We are getting our 15 minutes of fame thanks to our hoax! Don't touch it!"

• Like 2