Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Hundreds flock to glowing Virgin Mary statue

Still Waters

i believe Our Lady is Powerful. Shes Jesus Mother. I love connecting with her.

She is so loving and ALWAYS answers my prayer..

I can connect to her spirit through statues. Statues help to open my heart more.

Nothing to do with Icons.. idiots.. think we go around worshiping statues..!!

I'm sorry if I offended you scrunchkruckets. But I have to ask - IF you saw something like one of these apparitions and it spoke to you and told you that you must do something, what would you do? And how do you define "worship"? I realize that you don't bow before the statue and make offerings to it and so forth but if "she" appeared like this story tells and the thing actually spoke?
  • Like 1

I'm sorry if I offended you scrunchkruckets. But I have to ask - IF you saw something like one of these apparitions and it spoke to you and told you that you must do something, what would you do? And how do you define "worship"? I realize that you don't bow before the statue and make offerings to it and so forth but if "she" appeared like this story tells and the thing actually spoke?

Just Curious, how would you respond if it were you the object was speaking to?

Don't know where or when they bought the statutebut you can buy them that are luminecent.You can even buy crucifixes with the body of Christ on it that glow.Neither which are new. Suspicious that they won't let the statue by examined by scientists. After all;the Catholic church

has let the Shroud of Turin be examined as well as a miraculous host in Italy.You can look up eucharistic miracles for that one.

In Belgium there are two modern shrines to Mary.One is Our Day of Banneux and Our Lady of Beauring.The Blessed Mother appeared in both places to witnesses. This of course does not include any medieval marian shrines in the country.

This is hardly on a par with the shroud.That i would like to see someday;this other nah;and I'm catholic.

hey no worries.

i dunno wat i wud do..but i dont believe that wud happen to me. i dont have any special mission only washing dishes lol. wat wud u do?

These tendency of Christians to revert to paganism and the worship of idols really bothers me. I realize statues and such are meant to lift our thoughts up but it does go beyond and becomes the actual worship of those statues.

I wonder how much money they are still bringing in at Medjugorje. That has been a classic hoax example of our time. I have a cousin who actually flew three times from the states to visit there. What was scary was the look of ecstasy on her face when she would talk about the fact that one of the visionaries' children also ad the ability to "see" the Virgin Mother and would scream out in the cafeteria, "She's here ! She's here !" and all of those paying guests were so lifted by the child's ability.

Group hysteria at its finest. I'll have to check. My cuz is probably on her way to Belgium now ! Although it sounds like a nicer place to visit anyway.

• Like 2

Hundreds have been flocking to a house in southern Belgium to catch a glimpse of a small statue of the Virgin Mary that reportedly glows in the dark.

Local media reported that 500 people visited the house in the quiet town of Jalhay on Wednesday to witness what is being referred to as "the mysterious glowing Virgin".

http://www.smh.com.a...0314-hvii6.html

Just learned that experts solved the mystery :)

It ends up to be paint that makes the statue glow.

I tried to find a English source that confirmed this news but I couldn't find anything yet so my link is in Dutch :

http://www.ad.nl/ad/nl/1014/Bizar/article/detail/3622186/2014/03/25/Experts-ontmaskeren-lichtgevend-Mariabeeldje.dhtml

• Like 3

I tried to find a English source that confirmed this news but I couldn't find anything yet so my link is in Dutch :

http://www.ad.nl/ad/...iabeeldje.dhtml

Zinc Sulfide paint?

Mystery solved, I guess?

Zinc sulfide, with addition of few ppm of suitable activator, is used as phosphor in many applications, from cathode ray tubes through X-ray screens to glow in the dark products. When silver is used as activator, the resulting color is bright blue, with maximum at 450 nanometers. Using manganese yields an orange-red color at around 590 nanometers. Copper gives long-time glow, and it has the familiar greenish glow-in-the-dark. Copper-doped zinc sulfide ("ZnS plus Cu") is used also in electroluminescent panels.It also exhibits phosphorescence due to impurities on illumination with blue or ultraviolet light.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zinc_sulfide

• Like 4

http://www.ad.nl/ad/...iabeeldje.dhtml

But here's the completely bizarre aspect of it - at least according to the Daily Mail:

The glowing Madonna will now be moved to a local church so pilgrims can continue to see it.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2590014/We-seen-light-Mystery-glowing-Virgin-Mary-statue-visited-hundreds-Belgium-solved-scientists-discover-covered-luminous-paint.html#ixzz2xB7EVXbZ

Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Seriously? We're left with two choices here - either it was unintentional to paint the statue with luminous paint or it was a complete and total fraud on the part of the couple. But yet folks are still going to waste their time and money to go visit the thing and the Church supports this?

Can you say cognitive dissonance?

• Like 2

• 8 months later...

I know exactly what I would do if it were me...I would immediately blame it on all the acid I did in the sixties! That's a no-brainer anyway.