Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Texas Univ: Eureka moment cheap coal to gas

Jeremiah65

http://www.theglobea...article4388467/

Thoughts?

I remember one of these plants back in the late 70's near where I grew up (not the same but coal liquification I mean). Back then gasoline was around a $1.00 a gallon or less and it was decided this process was too expensive given the price of oil at the time.

Now if this is true...how long before big oil buys up all the patents and research and closes the door?

Edited by Jeremiah65

http://www.theglobea...article4388467/

Thoughts?

I remember one of these plants back in the late 70's near where I grew up (not the same but coal liquification I mean). Back then gasoline was around a $1.00 a gallon or less and it was decided this process was too expensive given the price of oil at the time.

Now if this is true...how long before big oil buys up all the patents and research and closes the door?

Didn't the Nazis use coal to make gas like 70 years ago?

From the OP Link:

The United States alone has 30 per cent of the world's reserves, and scientists in Texas say they have found a way to convert coal into gasoline at a cost of less than $30 (U.S.) a barrel - with zero release of pollutants.

That would really be something now wouldn't it?

Edited by DieChecker

Didn't the Nazis use coal to make gas like 70 years ago?

From the OP Link:

That would really be something now wouldn't it?

Yes and well, it does not solve our main problem: Coal is also fossil carbon.

1 ton of coal (poor quality) equates to approx 25GJ of available energy. 1 barrel of oil equates to approx 5GJ of available energy.

With a conversion rate of 1 ton coal/1.5 barrels of oil you are looking at a 300% loss of energy in the final product.

How is that even remotely economically viable?

• Like 2

1 ton of coal (poor quality) equates to approx 25GJ of available energy. 1 barrel of oil equates to approx 5GJ of available energy.

With a conversion rate of 1 ton coal/1.5 barrels of oil you are looking at a 300% loss of energy in the final product.

How is that even remotely economically viable?

That is a good question. I'd also like to know how they can dig up and process coal so cheaply. In most places it is between $50 and $70 a short ton. So, to get $30 a barrel would require almost no production cost at all which is impossible clearly.

• Like 1

Yes and well, it does not solve our main problem: Coal is also fossil carbon.

But, if correct, it would be a nice step along the path to more sustainable fuels and systems which we all freely admit aren't quite ready for prime time.

Yes, you would still be burning the gasoline, but you'd lose the pollution from the conversion process - again, if what they say is correct.