Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Coma patient wakes up with 'psychic powers'

UM-Bot

My bet it that it was the right side of the head affected. No one said just exactly where the injury was. Just said the side of the head. I am curious just where the injury was.

My bet it that it was the right side of the head affected. No one said just exactly where the injury was. Just said the side of the head. I am curious just where the injury was.

The injury effected the left side of his brain.

Ball, then 23, was in a car park after a night out when he was punched in the side of the head, causing lasting trauma to the left side of his brain.

He has been on the long road to recovery since, and good luck to him. If as was reported its a sickening undeserved attack. Despite my lack of sympathy on the 'psychic' claims I wish him well and his continued recovery.

Edited by Junior Chubb

Wish i woke up with powers of a genie

not me! a genie is a slave of whoever releases it by rubbing the lamp.

not me! a genie is a slave of whoever releases it by rubbing the lamp.

A djinn then.

• Like 1

How did you find out that it was on the left side?

Yes, this world is going crazy with disregard for others. I don't understand it. Why is this happening?

Do we really have to make a hard choice on whether we should be harming others? Oh, I am sure this type of thing happened since the beginning of man. There simply was no internet at the beginning of man, ... that we know of so far.

The injury effected the left side of his brain.

He has been on the long road to recovery since, and good luck to him. If as was reported its a sickening undeserved attack. Despite my lack of sympathy on the 'psychic' claims I wish him well and his continued recovery.

How did you find out that it was on the left side?

Yes, this world is going crazy with disregard for others. I don't understand it. Why is this happening?

Do we really have to make a hard choice on whether we should be harming others? Oh, I am sure this type of thing happened since the beginning of man. There simply was no internet at the beginning of man, ... that we know of so far.

I followed the link from UM, then I searched on-line using his name the area the attacked happened and found the articles that mentioned the damage also claimed it was the left side of his head before posting.

All the articles 'officially' posted on UM have links to the source material.

• Like 1

I followed the link from UM, then I searched on-line using his name the area the attacked happened and found the articles that mentioned the damage also claimed it was the left side of his head before posting.

All the articles 'officially' posted on UM have links to the source material.

Well done. Thanks for taking the time. When I meditate and see images behind my eyelids, it is always in the left eye.

• Like 1

Left side is also the receiving side in many energy work practices.

Well done. Thanks for taking the time. When I meditate and see images behind my eyelids, it is always in the left eye.

Doesn't the left side of the brain control the right side of the body and vice versa?

If so anything related to your left eye would be dependant on the right side of your brain. Using this and 'your beliefs' wouldn't a right sided brain injury be more likely to bring about 'psychic powers'?

Having said that when it comes to 'imagination' (which I would guess is the brains closest function to claimed 'psychic powers') many different areas of the brain are used and physical movement is redundant meaning anything I said above could be irrelevant as left and right are not distinguished. Don't you just love a good disclaimer... ;)

I have dreams about things that happen in the future.

Sometimes when I get high on random drugs I seem to know what other peolpe are thinking and such phycic powers.

I have dreams about things that happen in the future.

Sometimes when I get high on random drugs I seem to know what other peolpe are thinking and such phycic powers.

OK, Cheech...

I used to think similar things when I got high as a youth. Now I realise it was a heightened sense of perception whilst over reading situations and body language combined with paranoia...

All this was coupled with the euphoric feeling of "Aren't I amazing"... ;)

Edited by Junior Chubb
  • Like 2

Yea I woke up a psychic.. With a real jamaican accent

You should have let him sleep ;)

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Doesn't the left side of the brain control the right side of the body and vice versa?

If so anything related to your left eye would be dependant on the right side of your brain. Using this and 'your beliefs' wouldn't a right sided brain injury be more likely to bring about 'psychic powers'?

Having said that when it comes to 'imagination' (which I would guess is the brains closest function to claimed 'psychic powers') many different areas of the brain are used and physical movement is redundant meaning anything I said above could be irrelevant as left and right are not distinguished. Don't you just love a good disclaimer... ;)

Yes, the right hemisphere is accepted as in control the left side of the body (including the left visual field), and is considered lateralised to making sense of information via symbols, feelings, imagery, imagination, philosophy, religion and creative thinking. Though functions tend to be localised to specific areas. My thought is, if there is significant brain damage to the right hemisphere it may not be able to perform these functions. However, I recall a physiological study on brain elasticity by Maguire et al (2000?) on London taxi drivers. She'd found that the posterior hippocampi (responsible for special navigation) had increased in volume in positive correlation with time spent as a taxi driver. Back to brain elasticity - it is kind of what it sounds like. As one area of the brain is used more frequently, the volume in theory will increase as others shrink or adapt to accommodate it. Therefore... if a person receives considerable damage to the left hemisphere, and now relies solely on the functions of the right hemisphere, the right hemisphere may begin to compensate for the LH loss and result in heightened sensitivity to the relevant stimuli?

It's like 3AM here and I'm really tired so I have no idea if I worded that in a way that makes sense.

Yes, the right hemisphere is accepted as in control the left side of the body (including the left visual field), and is considered lateralised to making sense of information via symbols, feelings, imagery, imagination, philosophy, religion and creative thinking. Though functions tend to be localised to specific areas. My thought is, if there is significant brain damage to the right hemisphere it may not be able to perform these functions. However, I recall a physiological study on brain elasticity by Maguire et al (2000?) on London taxi drivers. She'd found that the posterior hippocampi (responsible for special navigation) had increased in volume in positive correlation with time spent as a taxi driver. Back to brain elasticity - it is kind of what it sounds like. As one area of the brain is used more frequently, the volume in theory will increase as others shrink or adapt to accommodate it. Therefore... if a person receives considerable damage to the left hemisphere, and now relies solely on the functions of the right hemisphere, the right hemisphere may begin to compensate for the LH loss and result in heightened sensitivity to the relevant stimuli?

It's like 3AM here and I'm really tired so I have no idea if I worded that in a way that makes sense.

Yup, makes sense. One part of the brain growing in strength/size to cover a weakness in the other area.

But the claim made was that the 'psychic powers' were due to damage to the psychic side of the brain. The damage was to the opposite side the which Regeneretia suggested and IMO there is no psychic side of the brain.

I hope you got a good night sleep. :)