Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

DolphinAttacks Bodyboarder

psyche101

The 27-year-old Manly bodyboarder was paddling off Bawley Point about 20km north of Batemans Bay at about 9am when a bottlenose dolphin crashed into his left side, hitting him with enough force to shred his wetsuit and leaving him doubled up in pain.

LINK

Not Cute and Cuddly people!

evil-dolphins.jpg

I will take my chances with a pod of Dolphins than with one Geat White Shark.

• Like 2

I have not heard of a violent attack like this before, maybe the tides are turning........

Fighting over a wave - happens all the time... :D

I've certainly heard of dolphins being aggressive, but it's very rarely directed toward a human - perhaps a case of mistaken identity?

I had the most blessed experience of my life at a beautiful place near Coffin Bay called Gallipoli Beach (it's where they staged the Oz film). I was snorkeling by myself (tut tut) and attracted the attention of a group of around 20-30. They surrounded me and took great delight in showing me their skills, always just keeping far enough from me that I couldn't quite reach out and touch one. I'm sure they were laughing hysterically at my pitiful attempts to keep up and do the odd trick... What made it absolutely magical is that after about ten minutes of play, a couple of adult dolphins brought over two little ones!! It was as if they were making sure it was ok, and once they had decided I was unarmed and just having fun, they brought them over to see the silly human... Pure magic - after about twenty minutes they obviously got bored and headed off at speed. I was left drifting about 500 metres from shore, in a state of euphoria!! I lazily swam back to shore, thinking now with my luck I'll get done by a great white (is that why they left, I wondered?) and never get to tell anyone.... but no, I got to tell my tale.. :)

• Like 1

Wow...that's no attack. Just people getting in natures way..

The Dolphin came up at speed and hit the guy with force - the very same method used by Dolphins to kill other marine life.

They can be pretty vicious, Dolphins are known to rape humans. One even had a go at Demi Moore I believe, but I do not really blame the Dolphin in that case. He wouldn't know Human rituals.

​People say "if you do not want to get eaten by a shark, don't go in the water" Which seems a bit over the top to me. We didn't take to the air because Lions live on the ground.

Edited by psyche101

I've certainly heard of dolphins being aggressive, but it's very rarely directed toward a human - perhaps a case of mistaken identity?

I had the most blessed experience of my life at a beautiful place near Coffin Bay called Gallipoli Beach (it's where they staged the Oz film). I was snorkeling by myself (tut tut) and attracted the attention of a group of around 20-30. They surrounded me and took great delight in showing me their skills, always just keeping far enough from me that I couldn't quite reach out and touch one. I'm sure they were laughing hysterically at my pitiful attempts to keep up and do the odd trick... What made it absolutely magical is that after about ten minutes of play, a couple of adult dolphins brought over two little ones!! It was as if they were making sure it was ok, and once they had decided I was unarmed and just having fun, they brought them over to see the silly human... Pure magic - after about twenty minutes they obviously got bored and headed off at speed. I was left drifting about 500 metres from shore, in a state of euphoria!! I lazily swam back to shore, thinking now with my luck I'll get done by a great white (is that why they left, I wondered?) and never get to tell anyone.... but no, I got to tell my tale.. :)

LOL, that does happen all the time!

Wow Chrlz, that is a very cool story, thanks for sharing that. I have seen them whilst surfing, but the closest I ever came to your experience is one night when fishing off Sundale Bridge (Is it still called that?) with two step kids when younger (maybe 15 years ago) and about 4 Dolphins swam right up to the Jetty we were sitting on, and put on quite a show for us. My step daughter still talks about it sometimes.

Cheers.

Edited by psyche101
  • Like 1

I have not heard of a violent attack like this before, maybe the tides are turning........

Dolphins have always had malevolent intent. But they don't usually leave survivors.

Every so often they will help a struggling human back to shore. That's to ensure that humans will continue to believe they are on our side.

But you never hear from the countless more that get "helped" further out to sea.

evil-dolphins.png

• Like 2

Took the words right out of my mouth.

Another thing in OZ that will try and kill you. lol

• Like 1

When I lived in FL we used to surf out at Coco beach, and dolphins used to come in pretty close to shore.

They would charge you if they thought you got too close to them (especially if there were babies in the pod), but I never heard of any of them actually hitting someone like that. I was charged a couple times, but it always seemed playful and not aggressive.

Dude is lucky it didn't knock him unconscious.... :unsure2:

• Like 2

NO davros, No

dolphins are a**holes. all of them, a great white, sure it'll eat you or take a limb or something.

Dolphins will do things that leave you psychologically scarred.

• Like 2

Took the words right out of my mouth.

Another thing in OZ that will try and kill you. lol

And this little guy is even worse than a great white! One of the deadliest reef animals in the world.

oz-gbr-blue-ringed-octo-gloves.jpg

Blue Ringed Octopus.

Edited by psyche101
  • Like 1

That actually looks quite delicious

• Like 1

But seriously forget Jaws, forget Pirahna, now preare yourself for DOLPHIN lol

But more seriously

Makes me wonder if this aquatic is in need of therapy, no doubt distressed though.

Edited by taniwha
  • Like 1

That actually looks quite delicious

LOL, you don't want to bite into that one mate, trust me!!

That Youtube vid is interesting, I had not heard of that instance before, but I have heard of Dolphins that have become "too friendly" and ended up at Sea World, or relocated. It's not too good for the Dolphins either, one called "Beggar" became a local attraction, but ended up dying, and was very unhealthy when he did. A study was done on Beggar and in only 100 hours, researchers deduced:

3,600 interactions between Beggar and humans — up to 70 per hour;

169 attempts to feed him 520 different food items — from shrimp and squid to beer, hot dogs, and fruit;

121 attempts to touch him — resulting in nine bites to people.

• Like 2

Yes great story.

As far as im aware dolphins wont attack a pregnant woman, they can see the human 'pup' in sonar vision.

Maybe they can 'see' fear also and become threatened.... Watch the video closely and see what I mean.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/ireland/10215891/Dusty-the-dolphin-attacks-woman.html