Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Old Melbourne Gaol figure

Saru

Here's a rather eerie picture that I was sent today and thought I'd post it up here to get some second opinions.

The story behind it is as follows:

Yesterday i went to visit the Old Melbourne Gaol in Australia around midday when i took the picture. I am writing to ask for your opinion, and to possibly clarify/confirm if there really was, or was not something paranormal in my photo. (Note: i was wearing a wide swing like cardigan dress with a hoodie attached but was off my head)

This picture was taken using my iphone 4s camera, in one of the corner cell blocks and i was ALONE in that cell room, as well as the surrounding area. This cell room contained all the original instruments that was used to perform executions by hanging such as ropes, face covers etc, and was contained in a chest. Right beside the chest was just a mannequin to display how a prisoner would appear on execution day such as the clothes they would wear. The mannequin and the chest were protected by a floor to ceiling glass as these items are authentic and in its original condition. This room was just located across from the scaffolding of where the execution actually took place.

If you have a look to the right of the photo you can see my reflection. As i mentioned, i was alone in that room as well as the surrounding area. Right behind on top of my head to the right, it appears as if someone was standing behind me, but as i said i was alone, and if i knew that there was someone there then i would have shifted aside for others to be able to peer in or come into the room as i did not want to appear as if i was hogging the tight entrance. I would've been able to hear if someone was approaching nearby. Ive also tried to look in between my feet in the photo to see if there were any legs belonging to that head-like figure behind me but i cannot see any. Perhaps you may have other resources to better and analyse the photo than what my eyes can see. I did not feel any shifts in temperatures but i did feel extremely nauseous and sadness for the entire duration i was on the second and third level of cell blocks. My partner too had also felt nauseous but that was all that he felt.

gaol.jpg

• Like 3

I think someone with photo skills should lighten the picture up. I can't really make heads or tails of where the person begins or ends. That might help.

• Like 3

Yeah i chose the auto enhancer on my iphone before i emailed this pic to the administrator. Im no good with photo editing of the sort so unless someone else can brighten it up would be greatly appreciated!

Yeah i chose the auto enhancer on my iphone before i emailed this pic to the administrator. Im no good with photo editing of the sort so unless someone else can brighten it up would be greatly appreciated!

Someone around here will be able to do it.

• Like 1

Here's the photo with the brightness and contrast amplified to bring out some of the detail in the dark areas, but there's not that much to see. Without reading the description, I thought the doorway was a full length mirror reflecting the mannequin but it's clear that the mannequin has robe like clothes down to its feet and the person in the doorway is wearing a short dress/coat as you can make out their legs quite clearly. I'm having difficulty making sense of the image in my head though. It doesn't look like a reflection as I'm struggling to see how if the it's a reflection of the person taking the photograph it would reflect back that way. Looks more like there's a glass case in the middle of the room and someone was in the opposite corner taking a photo with the camera pointed towards the opposite corner of the room with the entrance offset to the right.

I also can't see the second person seen in the supposed reflection. Perhaps someone else here can make better sense of it than I can.

Gaol.png

image hosting

• Like 4

okay i am the person you see standing in the doorway taking a picture of that mannequin. The mannequin is covered with a clear glass as you can make out. I didnt think thag id be reflected off from that glass. If you see to the top right of my head there also appears to be another head peeking over my head. Btw thanks for amplifying the pic!

i hope that makes a bit of sense. I dont remember if there was a mirror to the side of the glass wall because there was another room with a glass wall and mirror next to it. Boom there goes my reflection. upon closer inspection it looks as though something was behind me

I've found a pic of the cell in question. I see now what it looks like and where the entrance would be and where you were standing and that you are indeed being reflected off the glass display case.

old-melbourne-gaol.jpg

Still not sure I can see another person standing behind you though.

Edited by JesseCuster
  • Like 6

Perhaps i need access to Paint so i can arrow in where the "second" head (which i hope there is a natural explanation for it!) is peering over. I shall do that later on when i have access to my lappy as i am using my phone, unless if you can suggest an app that allows me to do that

I think it's her hand raising above her head, if you look on the right side of the body, you make out the arm but not the camera due to the smudged glass reflection.

• Like 1

Also taking a photo sometimes have a fraction of a second delay after you took the photo.

• Like 2

thanks for your input. My arms were never raised above my head, they were close to the sides of my chest with my phone sort of close to my face.

I still don't get it, lol, am I supposed to tilt my head while staring at it or something? :)

• Like 1

I have traced over my body using yellow paint. The one in red is the that mysterious random head popping out of nowhere.

post-146893-0-78324300-1395220265_thumb.

Yeah, i see it.

Can't really explain it but it looks pretty cool whatever the hell it is.

i fooled around with the image a little.

Still can't tell what it is. :P

Either way, i likes it!

Firstly I think "Damn girl you are hot in your profile picture!"

Then I move away from personal interests and on to your ghostly picture and I think it does indeed look a little like someone or something was behind you during the photo.

The problem I think, which may confuse issues is the smearing of the glass/mirror and the fingerprint marks on it. This is causing the human eye to see things that are easily explainable, but when you discount the white smears, it is possible to see there is more than just you in the photo.

I don't know if you live close to the Gaol or if you were just visiting as a tourist, whether you can go back there, but it would be interesting to see you wearing the same clothes, trying to recreate the same image from the same position with your arms (and camera) in the same place. If that were possible it might give a clear impression of whether it was a one-off event or if it can be recreated with a different view of what may have caused it.

I copied the photo and brought it into Corel Paintshop pro x5- then split it into CMYK which gives a lot of information. If one looks at the mirror there are random patterns of discoloration and distortion (especially in the black color split). Doing this, it reveals that the "head" and other patterns are in front of the subject, on the mirror. It appears that the "figure" is a case of pareidolia, our brains shaping the distortions into a figure. I say 'appears' because I wasn't there- I just analyzed the photo.

• Like 2

that's the only problem with not being there ones self...a lightsmear on the mirror? while i don't see any red and yellow outlines you mentioned, i do see something...if you are the figure in front, the other is somewhat taller, and just off to your left--isn't it? theres been instances when i've seen things that i wasn't sure what they were and didn't know if i were really seeing them--i'd go get another person and ask them to tell me what they saw...they'd describe it and i knew it was an actual thing...but with the millions of things eventing themselves just outside our perceptions, all i have to say at present is: "...hey..."

We are talking about a phone photo taken in low light with an adjacent area of bright light. Those conditions are not idea for a camera with such a small aperture. Factor in the CODEC, the limited processing power, and the reflection and you are lucky it is even a recognizable image. I am not the least bit surprised there are artifacts in the image.

Edited by sinewave

This is my detailed image analysis.

As you can very obviously see, there is NO ghost or any paranormal activity/entity around you.

Sorry for my typo error in the lower left box- I meant to write "Shadow" not "Reflection".

Anyway, based on the analysis below, the mystery is solved.

Click Image To Enlarge:

Untitled.jpg

Edited by Ashyne
  • Like 5

This is my detailed image analysis.

As you can very obviously see, there is NO ghost or any paranormal activity/entity around you.

Sorry for my typo error in the lower left box- I meant to write "Shadow" not "Reflection".

Anyway, based on the analysis below, the mystery is solved.

Click Image To Enlarge:

Untitled.jpg

Nice work! Your diligence and objectivity are rare here.

• Like 2

A ghost selfie?

No, just a regular one.

You have a great avatar. Wonderfully creepy.