Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Bananas to go extinct

spartan max2

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/06/18/opinion/18koeppel.html

So apparently the Yellow bananas we all know and love may be gone in a decade( the Cavendish banana). A fungus is killing them all and since we mutate bananas to all be clones of each other all the bananas will die unless a solution is found :cry:

This sucks. I like bananas! They're cheap and healthy. I mean, smoothies aren't the same without bananas. Hope they find a solution.

On the bright side, those spiders which nest in them may go away too.

I jest because I really don't think this is as bad as that "OPINION" piece makes it out to be. Not Every banana in the world comes from clone stock, resistant strains must still be elsewhere in the world.

It does have a point about prices, but those will always be going up anyway for other reasons beside supply and demand.

• Like 1

Tally man ,Tally man,tally de Banana,daylight come an' I wanna go home.

Jamaica....no she did it on her own.... Oh well

Bananas at $1 a pound; I can live with that.

I don't think that this would affect all species. Plenty of dwarf banana plants can still be grown.

http://www.nytimes.c.../18koeppel.html

So apparently the Yellow bananas we all know and love may be gone in a decade( the Cavendish banana).

Well it's been almost six years already. That article was Published: June 18, 2008.

• Like 5

Good catch, SW. I'm still paying less than $0.69 for bananas. False alarm.

Well it's been almost six years already. That article was Published: June 18, 2008.

I just picked the first article I saw. barley read it myself

I just mentioned it because today my human biology professor mention that in the next ten years the breed of banana we all eat might be gone due to the fungus.

Personally I think its a problem that will be solved but its still interesting.

Edited by spartan max2

here is a more recent one. December 2013

http://www.cbsnews.c...for-top-banana/

Another interesting thing apparently Costa Rico has declared a "Banana emergency"(but it seems to be more from pest then fungus)

http://www.freshplaz...on#SlideFrame_1

Edited by spartan max2
  • Like 2

Here is a moe upto date report on this:

https://www.wageningenur.nl/en/show/Panama-disease-spreads-among-bananas-again.htm

Our supermarket has plenty of bananas, if 80% of the plantations are now affected, where are all these bananas coming from and are they safe to eat?

• Like 1

Bananas are a product of artificial selection: human intervention created the banana as we know it. Banana farmers will have to find ways to make bananas adapt to current situations, and evolve them again to produce the next generation of bananas. Breed them with a "new" species of banana immune to the fungus (I doubt it's ever found) and a fungus-resistant banana subspecies is born. Unless the current bananas develop resistance from mutations in their DNA, the banana will become a rare delicacy in the future.

• Like 1

Is the Lady Finger safe?

I have two cavendish in captivity at home, I am going to try and breed them..........

• Like 2

South America is then set to make big bucks off the sale of palatins.

It worked!! I bred bananas!

cage%2520bannana.png

Now I just need to work on getting both the bananas to breed........

• Like 1

*Image removed to save the mental state of UM users*

I laughed and was going to like your post, Then I was hit by a moment of clarity and I realised how disturbing that image is. :no:

Edited by Junior Chubb
  • Like 2

I am not all that fond of bananas but there ARE other species of edible bananas.

Could we not cross-pollinate to create something new? And I am not speaking of genetically altered species either, just cross-pollination.

Maybe by doing so we can refresh the gene pool, as it were, so the resistance can be built up again or whatever.

(Yeah, I know. I am not all that knowledgeable on genetics)

I am not all that fond of bananas but there ARE other species of edible bananas.

Could we not cross-pollinate to create something new? And I am not speaking of genetically altered species either, just cross-pollination.

Maybe by doing so we can refresh the gene pool, as it were, so the resistance can be built up again or whatever.

(Yeah, I know. I am not all that knowledgeable on genetics)

Im in the same boat as you. That seems like a plausible plan to me. I have no clue why they haven't done that

It worked!! I bred bananas!

cage%2520bannana.png

Now I just need to work on getting both the bananas to breed........

Am frightened now and want me mum.

• Like 2