Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Being Caught Up By The Holy Spirit

Davros of Skaro

Anyone want to share their Holy Spirit story, or post a video they have seen?

Here is a young Women giving the benediction at the graduation ceremony at Midwestern State University in Texas when she is filled with Jesus.

If it was Jesus or the Holy Spirit, why did they call an ambulance?

Edited by Paranoid Android
  • Like 2

That went sour fast. I don't believe she was filled with the Holy Spirit, I think she got excited and overly emotional and resulted in some kind of panic attack.

• Like 1

If it was Jesus or the Holy Spirit, why did they call an ambulance?

It was an Amenbulance.

• Like 7

That went sour fast. I don't believe she was filled with the Holy Spirit, I think she got excited and overly emotional and resulted in some kind of panic attack.

Then how can you tell the difference?

• Like 2

The holy spirit tells them?

I've been told those filled with the holy spirit has the ability to discern things of Christian matters. It doesn't appear to work in other areas, they're still just as likely to be taken in by charlatans and con artists (if they aren't one themselves).

What a way to remember your graduation day :(

What a way to remember your graduation day :(

Think of the many that were saved through such powerful testimony. :tsu:

"13 But when he, the Spirit of truth, comes, he will guide you into all truth. He will not speak on his own; he will speak only what he hears, and he will tell you what is yet to come. 14 He will bring glory to me by taking from what is mine and making it known to you." John 16:13-14

In other words, the Holy Spirit does not seek to draw attention to Himself. His purpose is to communicate God's word and give glory to Jesus. There is a lot of "Spirit-filled" activity out there that does NOT come from the Holy Spirit.

• Like 3

"13 But when he, the Spirit of truth, comes, he will guide you into all truth. He will not speak on his own; he will speak only what he hears, and he will tell you what is yet to come. 14 He will bring glory to me by taking from what is mine and making it known to you." John 16:13-14

In other words, the Holy Spirit does not seek to draw attention to Himself. His purpose is to communicate God's word and give glory to Jesus. There is a lot of "Spirit-filled" activity out there that does NOT come from the Holy Spirit.

That pretty much sums it up. Thank You. She was being too dramatic and who knows, perhaps she meant well, but sometimes less is more.

That pretty much sums it up. Thank You. She was being too dramatic and who knows, perhaps she meant well, but sometimes less is more.

I get it now.

It's like washing your Hair in the shower.The Shampoo is the Blood of Christ washing away the Sin.The Conditioner being the Holy Spirit manages/softens the Hair.The Father is the shower head that makes it all happen, and all while in a personal enviroment.

Edited by davros of skaro

And to be fair, it's probable that it's simply learned behavior on her part. Her church is probably one of those that equate emotionalism with a spiritual experience. I attended such a church when I was very young. It was somewhat confusing to hear the older ladies of the congregation moan and wail during prayer time. I hope that the girl can eventually learn that a true spiritual experience is initiated by God and not by self-generated emotion.

Davros, that's actually a pretty apt description of the process - interesting to think about.

• Like 1

It's an altered state of consciousness. It's built into our psychology maybe even physiology, and it can go mutch further than that. That's only the tip of the iceberg.

These things can erupt into full blown ecstatic states.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religious_ecstasy

yes I have been here before. A full on progression into an ecstatic state is immensely powerful.

Edited by White Crane Feather

The holy spirit is a physical force which has many gifts. It can heal. It can empower. It can give courage It can transform a n alcoholic into a non drinker, take away addictions, restore self love to those who think they cannot be loved The old saying is that "by its fruits" you will recognise the presence and working of the spirit. In modern parlance this means that a person empowered by the holy spirit will be so changed that they will do things they would never do before For me the spirit is an emotional and intellectual gift which imbues me with all the gifts mentioned, as well as more esoteric ones it enables me to always find a parking space when I need one and to help other people. It means I need never fear anything or anyone in life (That doesn't mean not exercising reasonable caution but just not being afraid....ever) The presence of the spirit allows one to make rational rather than emotional choices, because it heightens awareness intellect logic and thinking skills and stops panic fear and over excitement .. It allows one to think faster and better. It stops you feeling pain or a least minimises the pain from something like a broken arm.

In my experience the spirit is always within a human being, but particularly needs to be called up, or upon, in times of need. It is like being able to inject yourself with adrenalin on demand, or a powerful pain killer, or something which takes away fear. It works differently in each case, depending on the need of the mind and body in that case.

Edited by Mr Walker
  • Like 1

interesting...the only thing i find 'at odds' with your post is that about the Holy Spirit being a physical force...do yousee the contradiction in terms there? or perhaps its simply that it was forgotten to be mentioned that the 3rd person of the Trinity in-fills the person's body, residing within them...its like this--an iron poker is put a fireplace blazing...after a bit, it glows red-hot...the fire is the Holy Spirit, the poker is the human body...while the poker is in the fire, the fire is in the poker...i'm sure that's crude, but i hope the analogy is exact...and if we only look for experiences, we miss the meanings--or we dont get them at all(the experiences, i mean)...tell me, Mr. Walker--are you what's called a born-again Christian?

Wow, the concern was so "overwhelming" by the Dean or whoever that was that asked for the ambulance. Fancy just proceeding with the ceremony while having turned your back on someone who is clearly having some sort of a fit behind you? What a callous schmuck. He could have called for a suspension in the ceremony until the poor girl had been properly cared for - she may not have been filled with the holy spirit but he I can guarantee you is filled with crap.

• Like 2

An earlier post here questioned "how do you tell the difference" between the effects of the Holy Spirit and illness (mental or otherwise).

I'll take an off-the-cuff stab at this. The answer is: from precedents, co-occurring behaviors/symptoms and intent/intention. These are fairly common means of investigation in many areas, from forensics to academics.

For example, a person presents at the emergency room with a knife wound to the arm. The nurses, physicians and social workers (even, perhaps, chaplains) have to determine whether it is self-inflicted or not. So they will look for scars (previous behavior), interview family.loved ones for history, look at the patterning of the wound (probably the most revealing information) and listen to the patient's own account of the occurrence.

In a similar way, to assess the young woman in question on the youtube video, one would assess her history of panic attacks/fugue states/"fainting spells," and assess her theological acumen (which seemed like it came right out of central-casting for the religion-ridden anti-science, afraid-of-humanists-around- every-corner ilk) and interview her and friends/family if necessary for background.

Finally, the Holy Spirit moves where it wills; but it always wills love. It does not will confusion, embarrassment, failure or indifference.

The "real" problem is when there is a perception of the Holy Spirit working its love, and a person/family/entity/community/group/nation is not able to "see the love," or accept the love that is apparently intended or promoted.

Hence, World Wars, genocide, etc. etc.

Edited by DeWitz

interesting...the only thing i find 'at odds' with your post is that about the Holy Spirit being a physical force...do yousee the contradiction in terms there? or perhaps its simply that it was forgotten to be mentioned that the 3rd person of the Trinity in-fills the person's body, residing within them...its like this--an iron poker is put a fireplace blazing...after a bit, it glows red-hot...the fire is the Holy Spirit, the poker is the human body...while the poker is in the fire, the fire is in the poker...i'm sure that's crude, but i hope the analogy is exact...and if we only look for experiences, we miss the meanings--or we dont get them at all(the experiences, i mean)...tell me, Mr. Walker--are you what's called a born-again Christian?

By physical I mean it is a "force" you can feel within you both in your mind and in your body, sometimes as heat sometimes as power/strength sometimes as vigour and energy, sometimes as courage etc. and a force which, when applied, produces results on the environment The poker is a fair analogy but the spirit does more.Iit transforms a human being and literally makes a new man from the old.

Technically I am a born again Christian, baptised in water and in the spirit, as an adult. I chose that path, after years of study with many faiths, for a number of reasons, after god made himself known to me. But more than that (or beyond that arbitrary definition) I am a person who lives with god inside me and all around me. I do not have to be a born again Christian to do that. I could be any form of believer from any faith . I could be an atheist in terms of "belief" and god would give me no choice but to live in his presence. Even if I said I didn't believe in god as an idea or concept, his presence would remain in me and all around me.

Wow, the concern was so "overwhelming" by the Dean or whoever that was that asked for the ambulance. Fancy just proceeding with the ceremony while having turned your back on someone who is clearly having some sort of a fit behind you? What a callous schmuck. He could have called for a suspension in the ceremony until the poor girl had been properly cared for - she may not have been filled with the holy spirit but he I can guarantee you is filled with crap.

I did not like that either. That person was clearly not a compassionate leader.

• Like 1

I have mentioned this before, but it's worth a repeat.

I know a story about an alcoholic that went to AA.Long story short AA told him to humble

himself, and worship God.He did not want to do this so they told him to do it for a material

object.He started to worship the radiator in his room.It worked, and the people I got this story

from say he is sober to this day.

I remember when I was younger at a friend's house a bunch of us were playing Super Mario

Brothers.There was this other kid there that had to get every single gold coin each stage had.

If he missed one coin he would go in a screaming rage as if someone murdered his loved pet, or

something.Years later this kid became a hard drug addict, which was extra terrible for his

running for Mayor father.

Those nonexistant gold coins gave a pleasure reward in that kid's meurological make up.I enjoy

video games too, but I am not going to suffer my self over it.

I have noticed the compulsiveness in people overdoing what should be in moderation, and they

seek confirmation from others to join in.For example I know people that drink heavy, and when

they offer me a drink which I put off for later they give me a shocked look, or act in

bewilderment.

When it's a negative impact of emotions it's nonHoly, but when it's positive it's Holy.

Here is a quick video that ties in some science.

I disagree libstaK. He acted in the professional manner as befits a high-ranking university official (whether he be the Dean, or whatever). The girl was being cared for by other university staff and officials, there was no need to suspend the ceremony. The show must go on, so to speak.

I disagree libstaK. He acted in the professional manner as befits a high-ranking university official (whether he be the Dean, or whatever). The girl was being cared for by other university staff and officials, there was no need to suspend the ceremony. The show must go on, so to speak.

Well I still think it was callous, at the very least he could have advised the audience that she is going to be ok and is in good hands. All he did was turn his back, ask someone at the back to call an ambulance and moved on with the ceremonies. If I was in that audience my mouth would be gaping wide open, I would have no interest in moving on until I knew everything was ok with her. Anything could have been happening behind him and he moved on, everything would have moved on around her with hundreds of peoples only real thought - what is happening with that poor girl? It would have been a bit of a circus imo.

Well I still think it was callous, at the very least he could have advised the audience that she is going to be ok and is in good hands. All he did was turn his back, ask someone at the back to call an ambulance and moved on with the ceremonies. If I was in that audience my mouth would be gaping wide open, I would have no interest in moving on until I knew everything was ok with her. Anything could have been happening behind him and he moved on, everything would have moved on around her with hundreds of peoples only real thought - what is happening with that poor girl? It would have been a bit of a circus imo.

But he didn't know she'd be ok. Why reassure the audience with facts he can't possibly know, perhaps (and I'm being cynical) open the door to a law suit if his reassurance prove false and she wasn't ok. If I were in the audience I'd be worried about her, but I wouldn't put my life on hold over it. I'd expect those dealing with her to be working in her best interests behind the scenes, while the ceremony took its course.

But he didn't know she'd be ok. Why reassure the audience with facts he can't possibly know, perhaps (and I'm being cynical) open the door to a law suit if his reassurance prove false and she wasn't ok. If I were in the audience I'd be worried about her, but I wouldn't put my life on hold over it. I'd expect those dealing with her to be working in her best interests behind the scenes, while the ceremony took its course.

If he didn't know she would be ok, then that just makes it worse - she was his student, his responsibility. The audience would have waited quietly until she was safely off the stage in the hands of the paramedics, or they could have taken a short break. Safety first, before anything - that's the example someone in charge should be setting.

I'm sorry we disagree on this but that's the way I see it.