Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Street Lamps?

Hi guys,...I would very much like to have your opinions of just exactly what you believe the anomalous object is in each of these three old photographs?.....They are pretty old photo's that you've probably seen a thousand times..but I believe that none of them have been 'intentionally tampered with'...or were 'designed to fool people'...they may or may not be mundane 'earthly objects', but in my humble opinion...they are very thought-provokingly interesting!..

No 1
4f345de70a7959cfc105f00bc15b755f.jpg
..WW11 photo sent to coast to coast programme by Ivan L?

No 2...
a39151b9a798a50f459a58385bc6a188.jpg
.. The Sutton photo of 1932.

No 3...
80b37b1774e043c4f9cfe587151aec3d.jpg
..Hopeh Province 1911-1942?

No 4...
demonde.jpg
..The Jack LeMonde UFO Photograph 1945.

Street Lamps??
...Maybe?...but there's plenty of arguments against them being Street Lamps!

And i'll also paste this image which is one of the world's most famous 'undebunked' UFO photograph's of all time...

mcminnivilleufo.jpg

...of course, it's the 1950 Paul Trent 'Mcminnville UFO'...and I posted it simply because I think that there is a certain similarity in general shape to all of them...or am I seeing things??
:lol:

...And lastly, I thought i'd include this photograph of an authentic 'Street Lamp' that was apparently fairly common in the 20's and 30's, hanging from power or trolley lines in the U.S.

streetlamp1930.jpg

Well guys...what do you think?

Cheers.

"When a man finds a conclusion agreeable, he accepts it without argument, but when he finds it disagreeable, he will bring against it all the forces of logic and reason." -Thucydides

• Like 2

SpaceNeedleUFO.jpg

Hey SP...That's a beauty my friend!...but the cost of running all of that wattage , must be killing the local council!! B).. :w00t:

Cheers Buddy.

• Like 1

they all seem to have something on top of the main body of the object, a hook maybe, to hang, the object, up

There only seems to be one of them in each photo, and they'd be way too high to be of much use for illumination purposes, considering the power of the light bulbs that would have been available in those days. Plus, in the first photo I doubt they'd have rigged up street lighting in a temporary tented army camp. Not necessarily to say that they must be UFOs, as they could well be faked or "altered" using a genuine street lamp, but I doubt that they were street lights that were there in the original photos.

SpaceNeedleUFO.jpg

I don't want to spoil the fun for people, but having looked up that on "Search Google for Images", that's a pretty neat picture when you know what it is.

• Like 4

Hi guys,...I would very much like to have your opinions of just exactly what you believe the anomalous object is in each of these three old photographs?

Blurry splotches common in old photographs.

I have old negatives full of these.

• Like 1

Blurry splotches common in old photographs.

I have old negatives full of these.

This scores a good 78.4% on the "useful contribution to a thread" scale.

• Like 1

This scores a good 78.4% on the "useful contribution to a thread" scale.

Better than my typical 68%.

• Like 6

Street lamps for me.

Photo 1: It's a shame the blow up of the object sits exactly where more distant lamps might be visible. I don't have a problem with the idea of electric lighting in a tented camp. For one thing the ground looks well trodden so it looks like a camp which has already been in existence for several weeks at least. Do we have any context for the photo? If, for example, it was some sort of staging camp in Europe in late 1944 or early 1945, or a similar sort of camp on a Pacific island, it strikes me as unsurprising that engineers would rig up some sort of lighting. And being wartime with the potential threat of enemy attack you wouldn't want a lot of lighting - just enough to help people align themselves.

Photo 2: If it's a streetlight it's perfectly positioned above the road. Again context would be useful. Do we know where the photo was taken? When did that location get street lights? What was their design?

Photo 3: As with photo 2, if it's a streetlight it's perfectly positioned. As to why there's only the one visible, I can guess that urban development in a Chinese province which was the scene of much fighting in the period 1911 to 1942 could well be haphazard.

Photo 4: Once again, some contextual information would be valuable. Who is the man in the saddle? What is his uniform? Where was the photo taken? What's in the photo that's covered by the blow-up. Also, I note the object's shape is very similar to the genuine street lamp in photo 6.

Photo 5: I don't know. When and where was it taken?

ETA: Note to self: click on the links! (Although the first link doesn't go to a commentary on the photo.) The commentary on photo 2 says there's no light poles in the picture, although there does appear to be one to me to the right of the man's left arm. Photo 3's commentary talks about a US serviceman in northern China in 1942; that would be very unlikely given that part of China was occupied by the Japanese at the time and Japan and the USA were at war. And while someone's pointing up, it's impossible to be sure whether he's pointing at the object. I disagree with photo 4's commentary that the object must be higher than the drive-in sign. Again if it's a street light it seems to me to be in the right place.

Edited by Peter B

In Photo 2, the area around the object is so completely overexposed that there could have been a pole that was blown out.

We used to see this shape of UFO in a lot of daylight photos in the 50's: an inverted bowl with an oddly long and thick triangular antenna on top. After the "cobrahead" style of street lamp was introduced in 1957 and eventually replaced nearly all street lights, this shape of UFO no longer showed up.

• Like 1

In Photo 2, the area around the object is so completely overexposed that there could have been a pole that was blown out.

We used to see this shape of UFO in a lot of daylight photos in the 50's: an inverted bowl with an oddly long and thick triangular antenna on top. After the "cobrahead" style of street lamp was introduced in 1957 and eventually replaced nearly all street lights, this shape of UFO no longer showed up.

There was a thread on this forum some time ago about a supposed UFO in Seattle and it turned out to be a street lamp with the pole either blown out or edited out.

tumblr_mjffdyGd9f1rxmivho1_500.jpg

What Id like to know is how come low tech cameras and film stock, can capture better 'saucer' type photos than modern digi cams and iphones etc.... I mean all modern ufo shots are blurry, indistinct, odd lights in the skies etc, but these old black and white pics seem to capture 'stuff' much better.

BTW I once stuck a pic on a shed wall, think I used a bit of mastic or something to help it stick, after a while you could see the 'shape' of the sticky stuff had bled through the photo paper, creating a blob seemingly in the pic

• Like 2

What Id like to know is how come low tech cameras and film stock, can capture better 'saucer' type photos than modern digi cams and iphones etc.... I mean all modern ufo shots are blurry, indistinct, odd lights in the skies etc, but these old black and white pics seem to capture 'stuff' much better.

I would guess because these old photos are taken with cameras that have good lenses and often on large format film. Also you can pull out details when making a print from negative film.

Or "add" or "enhance" details on the print if you want, but that's no different from Photoshop.

• Like 1

It seems to me in picture#1 that there is a long shadow coming from the direction of the lamp which could easily be the lamp post's shadow.

In many places it was common for the street light to hand over the middle of the street on a wire. This is what picture#3 looks like.

Pic#2 and #4 are too hard to tell.

I thought pic#5 was shown to be a thrown object?

• Like 1

Photo #1... look close... see the 'string'? Photo #3... a "junction" type fixture to help secure the crossing, overhead wires.

Hi guys,...I would very much like to have your opinions of just exactly what you believe the anomalous object is in each of these three old photographs?.....They are pretty old photo's that you've probably seen a thousand times..but I believe that none of them have been 'intentionally tampered with'...or were 'designed to fool people'...they may or may not be mundane 'earthly objects', but in my humble opinion...they are very thought-provokingly interesting!..

Indeed, all the pictures you posted (save for the Paul Trent one) are pretty obviously street lamps of the type you show at the end. Some months ago, I read an article that showed many of these and even on-location match-ups for at least one of the photographs.

The Paul Trent one is most probably a model hanging by a thin thread. Even though many serious researchers have long considered this picture to be genuine, some seldom published pictures show a folding ladder close to the position of the photographer, from which a line could have been suspended.

Love these old fashion Ufo's . Aliens seem to advance technologically in the same time with us since the modern sightings despite a more flat, aerodynamic nice design UFO while the old ones are chunky, bulky, taller, un-flyable.

If the three old pictures where taken by the same guy then it would be a hoax.did the have tech back then to put stuff in pics??

... that's a pretty neat picture when you know what it is.

Well yeah, I would say all "Mother Ship" pictures are pretty freakin' amazing, wouldn't you? :w00t:

:innocent:

Edited by nosuchthing

Indeed, all the pictures you posted (save for the Paul Trent one) are pretty obviously street lamps of the type you show at the end. Some months ago, I read an article that showed many of these and even on-location match-ups for at least one of the photographs.

The Paul Trent one is most probably a model hanging by a thin thread. Even though many serious researchers have long considered this picture to be genuine, some seldom published pictures show a folding ladder close to the position of the photographer, from which a line could have been suspended.

Are you not aware that it would be very difficult to tamper with the city power grid without witnesses to that ? Not to mention highly illegal; if that was a streetlamp then the 'hoaxing' electricians would certainly be known to the city, for how else would they gain permission or access to the city power lines ???

Love these old fashion Ufo's . Aliens seem to advance technologically in the same time with us since the modern sightings despite a more flat, aerodynamic nice design UFO while the old ones are chunky, bulky, taller, un-flyable.

This is a dangerous line of thought Q. I dont think this is the case and to infer it is would leave you open to the suggestion that science fiction dictates what is reported and that there is no real phenomena.

• Like 1

:-)

I'm reminded of the Gary Larson "Far Side" cartoon of the cavemen looking in amazement at the flying saucer made of sticks, stones and a bit of grass.

• Like 1