Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Python's homing trick stuns scientists

Still Waters

The Burmese python has a built-in compass that allows it to slither home in a near-straight line even if released dozens of kilometres away, researchers said Wednesday.

http://uk.news.yahoo...61.html#xa5z6E7

• Like 2

sneaky little reptiles ~ I wonder what else it is that they know ~

• Like 2

Fascinating article, Still Waters. I wonder if other reptiles have that ability.

Now the ideal situation would be if all those Burmese pythons in the Everglades would find their way back to Burma. LOL

• Like 1

Well now I know if I ever come across one to drive it to the other end of the world. Or Canada. Give it to them. It'd take it a while to get back from there.

• Like 1

Well crap...was hoping this was about John Cleese being able to always find his way home.

• Like 1

'Home' is the key word here ~ all animals ... has a tendency to return to their familiar range of territories ~ another key is whether the particular 'individual' animal regards the area as it's 'territory' as there are other animals too in the area ~ usually one top alpha represented in each area ~ difference is large or small ~

THe natives of the forests/jungles makes claims that the animals 'knows' each other ~ the preys knows of the other top 'predators' in the area 'individually' ~ and senses their presence sooner than others ~ just as some domesticated wild animals 'recognizes' their keepers ~