Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Ghost Hunting & Investigating Disrespectful?

Still Waters

I found this article when searching the web and thought it would make an interesting topic. As far as I'm aware this hasn't been discussed before.

I've never been on a ghost hunt or anything like that, but the lady who wrote this piece makes some interesting points I feel. Anyway here it is, have a read and see what you think.

http://associationof...-disrespectful/

• Like 1

Interesting article.

• Like 3

I've had the same thoughts myself that are mentioned in the article. I really disagree with the provoking, let the sleeping dog lie.

• Like 1

I agree with both comments here that it is an interesting article, and that "provoking" should not be taken lightly.

I was actually thinking about this just the other day. I have a coworker who is big on ghost hunting and joined a group in a neighboring town. She constantly laments that she has not seen a ghost yet. I've always thought it wrong to provoke spirits into coming out. These were people just like you and me before they passed over and we are quite possibly disturbing their rest.

I was actually a ghost hunter back in college but we never took a combative approach. I always approached it with quiet and respectful curiosity. I would apologize if I disturbed any spirits and always said thank you for letting me pass (as we would hunt in haunted areas that were well known for spirits).

That being said it really disturbed me when I saw some of the more recent tv shows on ghost hunting. One man was screaming at a ghost and calling it names and it really upset me. I've also seen people constantly provoking ghosts. What we forget is that they were human too and deserve just as much if not more respect than any other human.

I think the reason many ghost hunting groups get little to no action these days is because of the disrespect for the deceased. I know I wouldn't approach you if you were prodding me.

When ghosts communicate it is almost always not their intention to cause harm to the living I believe. So treating them like the enemy is a horrible approach.

I think when we stop treating ghosts like ghosts and instead more like fellow humans we will get better results.

Okay, we'll have to lay some ground rules down here.

If a ghost bangs on the walls or runs up your water bill whilst playing with the faucet then provocation is allowed.

However, if the ghost is just mom reminding you to wear clean underwear then provocation is not allowed.