Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

AR-15 Open-Carry Starts HUGE Cop Party!

Yamato

[media=]

[/media]

Upload date is January 15, 2014

What are they chit-chatting about? How perplexed are they over this? How many SUVs do they need loitering around after a point?

• Like 2

How do you want them to react? The weapon was loaded and easily accessible. Its state is unknown other then a magazine loaded. Their job is to remove the threat and figure out whats going on. Yes this man had no intent on harm and was exercising his rights in his state. However the officers have to treat this as a threat until it is determined otherwise. That is due to if they didn't? Their are precedents that someone walking down the street have opened fire on civilians and law enforcement.

As long as they did not confiscate his weapon, nor arrest them for nothing, then there is nothing wrong with this response and I would rather an over reaction then an under reaction.

• Like 3

It'd be nice to see the conclusion so we're not just speculating on what did or didn't happen. They shouldn't be arrested for nothing, like the classic being arrested for resisting arrest.

It would cause accidents, waste resources, and create shortages of police protection/service when they're overreacting to everything they're called to do. So overreactions instead of underreactions in general, or is that just for this?

How would I like the cop to react? Like this

It'd be nice to see the conclusion so we're not just speculating on what did or didn't happen. They shouldn't be arrested for nothing, like the classic being arrested for resisting arrest.

It would cause accidents, waste resources, and create shortages of police protection/service when they're overreacting to everything they're called to do. So overreactions instead of underreactions in general, or is that just for this?

How would I like the cop to react? Like this

[media=]

[/media]

Yes I've seen both videos and there is a difference between the two, in the first one the person is walking with it slung at their side, which is easily brought up quickly to the shoulder (as that sling is designed to do, I used a similar style sling over in Afghanistan). The second video has a 2 point sling slung over the back, which takes considerably longer to bring to the shoulder to fire (which is why I do not sling my rifle with a 2 point unless instructed).

Just based on that posture alone I would react differently between the two people. A rifle slung over the shoulder on the back shows different body language then one slung at the side and at the ready.

• Like 2

Yes I've seen both videos and there is a difference between the two, in the first one the person is walking with it slung at their side, which is easily brought up quickly to the shoulder (as that sling is designed to do, I used a similar style sling over in Afghanistan). The second video has a 2 point sling slung over the back, which takes considerably longer to bring to the shoulder to fire (which is why I do not sling my rifle with a 2 point unless instructed).

Just based on that posture alone I would react differently between the two people. A rifle slung over the shoulder on the back shows different body language then one slung at the side and at the ready.

Then the difference in response between the OP and the 2nd video can be as simple as asking for someone to sling it on their back or otherwise assume a less potentially threatening posture rather than resort to the spectacle in the OP.

And back to overreactions...is Jim Estes wrong for not overreacting? You'd rather they overreact you said. So is that entirely dependent on how one carries their weapon and loaded assault rifles on the back in public are fine?

why would anyone carry ar open and create problems for himself??? we know cops are trigger happy a holes. we seen kids with toy guns get killed by cops.

i know it is a right and all, but with half of people being terrified by even talk about guns, and cops happy to shoot anyone, why even risk it? you never know what kind of a cop you'll meet, cops on second video are rare exception, first video show true picture and a rule..

you need to carry a ar or ak from point a to point b, put it into a gabage bag, no one will look twice at you.

you also have a right to stick your fingers in electrical outlet, but you do not do it. same here.

Edited by aztek
  • Like 1

Then the difference in response between the OP and the 2nd video can be as simple as asking for someone to sling it on their back or otherwise assume a less potentially threatening posture rather than resort to the spectacle in the OP.

And back to overreactions...is Jim Estes wrong for not overreacting? You'd rather they overreact you said. So is that entirely dependent on how one carries their weapon and loaded assault rifles on the back in public are fine?

I would rather no one carry firearms in public, but that is my personal opinion (I am a firearms owner btw). But yes body language can have a huge effect on how someone responds to a situation. The OP Video shows a man with a loaded (though state of weapon beyond loaded is unknown) weapon slung at his side which can be brought to bear faster then drawing a pistol out of a holster. The second video shows a rifle slung on the back which if he tries to bring it to bear he will be dropped before he is able to laz anyone.

The OP Officer I believe is justified due simply because the way the rifle is slung, it is at the ready to act if needed. The Second Video shows a non threatening man with a rifle. You have to respond based on precieved threat. Though both have similar weapons just the way they are slung would effect my response.

• Like 2

why would anyone carry ar open and create problems for himself??? we know cops are trigger happy a holes. we seen kids with toy guns get killed by cops.

i know it is a right and all, but with half of people being terrified by even talk about guns, and cops happy to shoot anyone, why even risk it? you never know what kind of a cop you'll meet, cops on second video are rare exception, first video show true picture and a rule..

you need to carry a ar or ak from point a to point b, put it into a gabage bag, no one will look twice at you.

you also have a right to stick your fingers in electrical outlet, but you do not do it. same here.

So you have a right to do it, but why would anyone exercise their right? Well that settles that then.

Carrying an assault rifle around hidden in a garbage bag sounds like a felony crime. Not a very good suggestion.

I would rather no one carry firearms in public, but that is my personal opinion (I am a firearms owner btw). But yes body language can have a huge effect on how someone responds to a situation. The OP Video shows a man with a loaded (though state of weapon beyond loaded is unknown) weapon slung at his side which can be brought to bear faster then drawing a pistol out of a holster. The second video shows a rifle slung on the back which if he tries to bring it to bear he will be dropped before he is able to laz anyone.

Yes that's what you already said. It's probably a difference of about one second or so.

The OP Officer I believe is justified due simply because the way the rifle is slung, it is at the ready to act if needed. The Second Video shows a non threatening man with a rifle. You have to respond based on precieved threat. Though both have similar weapons just the way they are slung would effect my response.

No, both videos show a non-threatening man. Neither men were holding their guns in a threatening way, or making any threats at all.

So you have a right to do it, but why would anyone exercise their right? Well that settles that then.

Carrying an assault rifle around hidden in a garbage bag sounds like a felony crime. Not a very good suggestion.

no it is not, it is perfectly legal, it is called transporting a firearm.

hey go ahead carry all you want, but do not be surpriced when some trigger happy cop shots you without warning, it happened before. it is caplled real world, complain and protest all you want, it wont change.

Edited by aztek

no it is not, it is perfectly legal, it is called transporting a firearm.

hey go ahead carry all you want, but do not be surpriced when some trigger happy cop shots you without warning, it happened before.

If you're too scared to exercise your rights, then don't.

But having no idea why someone else would? FAIL

"Transporting" an assault rifle on foot. Yeah that's "perfectly" legal no doubt.

If you're too scared to exercise your rights, then don't.

But having no idea why someone else would? FAIL

"Transporting" an assault rifle on foot. Yeah that's "perfectly" legal no doubt.

lmao. i have a reality sense, you should get one too.

yes transporting, it does not only means in a car, it can be a horse, a bike, an atv, and even on foot.

fail, is not realising that you live in real world and do stuff that may get you klilled, that is FAIL, and thinking this is the right way is super dumb, just ask the kid that was carrying airsoft ak.

and besides "because i can" why would you carry a rifle on the street??? what is the purpose???? just because you can??? well that is super dumb, and asking to win a darwin award.

you want to be a brave dead guy who exsercised his right, for no other reason but because he could, go right ahead. show us how it is done. i'm sure your family will suppor your suicidal obsession,. show us that you not only be...h and moan, but actually carry ar openly.

if that kid had his airsoft in a garbage bag, no one would pay attention and call cops, no cop would shoot anyone with a garbage bag as they shot that kid. if he had more brains than rights he would be alive today. i'm not defending the cop, he commited murder, even if kid had real gun, but all could have been avoided.

Edited by aztek

Carrying a rifle around like that is just assanine and pointless. Congrats on excersising your rights.

• Like 1

There's nothing asinine about carrying a legal weapon in a legal manner.

I suspect in the first video, the police overreaction was due to his appearance. Remember, that same profiler has no legal obligation to defend your life.

• Like 1

Carrying a rifle around like that is just assanine and pointless. Congrats on excersising your rights.

Fortunately we have the right to be as asinine and pointless as we wish. What good is having a right to do something if the government can scare everyone into not exercising that right? No one should ever be afraid of exercising their rights. If they are then it is not really a right, is it?

• Like 3

Fortunately we have the right to be as asinine and pointless as we wish. What good is having a right to do something if the government can scare everyone into not exercising that right? No one should ever be afraid of exercising their rights. If they are then it is not really a right, is it?

IMO the reason to be carrying a weapon is to defend yourself not to make a point and in a city environment you are better off not bringing a bunch of attention to yourself so carry a pistol in a holster instead of just being a dick.

Weren't a couple of y'all screaming "conditioning" about a lockdown drill in a school? Don't you find it somewhat hypocritical to be defending the police here?

• Like 1

Weren't a couple of y'all screaming "conditioning" about a lockdown drill in a school? Don't you find it somewhat hypocritical to be defending the police here?

Do you mean me? How is this hypocritical of anything I said in that thread or how was I defending the police?

IMO the reason to be carrying a weapon is to defend yourself not to make a point and in a city environment you are better off not bringing a bunch of attention to yourself so carry a pistol in a holster instead of just being a dick.

Could it be that he was just being prepared to defend himself. In a city environment you never know when you might be assaulted. As for carrying a pistol perhaps he is a terrible shot with a short gun, but much better with a rifle (I know I am).

The point is that the authorities shouldn't hassle anyone that is just exercising their rights.

• Like 2

Could it be that he was just being prepared to defend himself. In a city environment you never know when you might be assaulted. As for carrying a pistol perhaps he is a terrible shot with a short gun, but much better with a rifle (I know I am).

The point is that the authorities shouldn't hassle anyone that is just exercising their rights.

and you belive that???? it is clear he had it out in the open to get attention to himself, and tick off cops. and his buddy videotaping him, sure it just a coincedense.

autorities have a right to hussle you, and they gladly do it every single time you give them a reason. and what that reason is, is up to them, not you.

in a perfect world may be everyone would carry ak's and no cop would pay much attention, but we do not live in such world. you wanna fight for gun rights, join NRA and contribute, because this is the only way to do it. and get results.

your "i have my right" ticking off cops will not get you "freedom fighter" title, or make authorities respect your right, no, it wont happen in real world. you will get in trobble, that is what will happen.

I kind of agree with Thanato on this.... If the man would have had his weapon slung differently it might have had a less threatening appearance for the initial officer which might have lead to a different reaction. IMO, the weapon being down his side is no different than a man walking down the street with a loaded handgun in his hand. Both situations would be handled the same, again IMO. The initial contact that was made by the officer was to assess and control a possible "bad" situation and not to make sure that an individual right to open carry was ensured. An officers first duty is to ensure his own safety and that is why he contacted the "suspect" the way he did, IMO. Again, possible different initial contact if it was on his back.

Does anyone know if he was released with his weapon and allowed on his way?

Weird, because despite what is being said, neither video shows the gun carrier getting 'in trouble'. They're harassed then left to be on their own free will.

• Like 2

Yep, he was doing that in order to get harrassed and...Mission accomplished.

Yep, that good ol conditioning tactic.... do as the badge says, cede your rights!!

• Like 3

Yes that's what you already said. It's probably a difference of about one second or so.

it would take longer. In the fraction of a second I can bring up the rifle in the way he has it slung. To take off the back sling rifle you have to make alot more movements and easier to notice intent.

No, both videos show a non-threatening man. Neither men were holding their guns in a threatening way, or making any threats at all.

If I saw both men walking down the same street, I would treat them differently due to how they treat their weapon. One is slung in an active manor, meaning that it takes little effort to bring that to the shoulder to get rounds down range fast. The second man has it slung in a passive manor, meaning he has no intention to use that weapon in a split second.

How hard is it to understand this. The two situations are different, though the weapons similar, based on body posture and the treatment of their weapons.

Yep, that good ol conditioning tactic.... do as the badge says, cede your rights!!

No rights where ceded, both kept their weapons and walked on.