Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Color blind artist is able to 'hear' colors

UM-Bot

Neil Harbisson has had a special 'eyeborg' device implanted in to his skull that can interpret colors.

Despite having only ever viewed the world in black and white due to a rare form of color blindness, Harbisson has been able to perceive color using a special device that produces unique vibrations to represent the colors in whatever he is looking at.

Read More: http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/news/264043/color-blind-artist-is-able-to-hear-colors

• Like 1

Sadly the article explains practically nothing about how the device works.

How does one "hear" a color if color is solely dependent on light waves?

Does the man actually "see" the colors or is he just being told, via a speaker, what color he is looking at?

Sadly the article explains practically nothing about how the device works.

How does one "hear" a color if color is solely dependent on light waves?

Does the man actually "see" the colors or is he just being told, via a speaker, what color he is looking at?

Some people "see" music even though they are sound waves could this be related?

I was a bit disappointed after the article title that a device helps him. Nevertheless electronics interacting with the human senses is the future (and amazing he has been using this for 10 years) for a lot of people with physical debilitations and eventually will eventually enhance the senses of the norm.

Unfortunately looking at the colour mismatch of his jacket and shirt I would guess the device does not work...

Edited by Junior Chubb
  • Like 1

I think it induces synesthesia. No idea how that would work, though.

His days of eating yellow snow are over! Yay!

You'd think being color blind wouldn't affect his tastebuds though. Eww.

I once had a color-blind art instructor. Sometimes obstacles become the crucible events that lead to greatness. He was a brilliant sculptor.

• 7 months later...

I was just coming to post this and found this thread. This guy seems to be making the news again, in the latest article there's a video of him explaining how he's able to hear colors -

https://uk.news.yaho...48.html#Fxwu7yy

Imagine watching those latest MTV videos ~

He infact has a very colourful personality as demonstrated in this entertaining TED talk...