Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Russia May Change Stance on Iran

OverSword

OK, this may be talk but it's dangerous talk.

From the article:

MOSCOW (AP) — Russia may revise its stance in the Iranian nuclear talks amid tensions with the West over Ukraine, a senior diplomat warned Wednesday.

Russia's Deputy Foreign Minister Sergei Ryabkov said, according to the Interfax news agency, that Russia didn't want to use the Iranian nuclear talks to "raise the stakes," but may have to do so in response to the actions by the United States and the European Union.

The statement is the most serious threat of retaliation by Moscow after the U.S. and the EU announced sanctions against Russia over its annexation of Ukraine's Crimea region.

Ryabkov, who is Russia's envoy to the Iranian talks, said that Russia considers the "reunification" with Crimea as far more important than the developments surrounding the Iranian nuclear program.

Russia has cooperated with the United States and other Western nations in the Iranian talks, but Ryabkov warned that its attitude may now change.

"We wouldn't like to use these talks as an element of the game of raising the stakes taking into account the sentiments in some European capitals, Brussels and Washington," Ryabkov was quoted as saying by Interfax. "But if they force us into that, we will take retaliatory measures here as well. The historic importance of what happened in the last weeks and days regarding the restoration of historical justice and reunification of Crimea with Russia is incomparable to what we are dealing with in the Iranian issue."

Read More Here

Edited by OverSword
  • Like 1

there is a NO stopping russia now

• Like 1

As far as I can see Russia has been a protector of Iran rather than helping the west deal with them so this is an empty threat. Russia could make it difficult for us to remove equipment or move fuel in Afghanistan though. In fact if this turns out to be a cold war redux there are many changes coming and Europe will be the ones who decide whether Russia succeeds or not. Putin could be stopped cold at this point if the west had a single leader with a spine.

Russia says it may change it's relationship with Iran but doesn't say how or why? Iran is a different kettle of fish.

Russia says it may change it's relationship with Iran but doesn't say how or why? Iran is a different kettle of fish.

The most obvious change would be to no longer support the UN sanctions on Iran that Russia has voted for in recent years. If we're going to sanction Russia in the same fashion, Russia isn't going to participate in pouring the poison we're making it drink.

And to think the war hawks in Washington called Ron Paul an isolationist with his foreign policy of non intervention.

It's almost laughable if we knew what we know today when he was debating them during the 08 and 2012 republican primaries.

• Like 1

this is old news ..

and yeah blackmail is normal in diplomacy.... much , much worse things happen so chill

Putin knows that if the west impose sanctions the hardship will fall on his people who will start to grumble and he will become less popular and when the riots start he will realise that they may want a new leader,so he's offsetting this by causing diplomatic waves as the last thing he wants is unrest and rebellion and sanctions will cause this.

the last thing he wants is unrest and rebellion and sanctions will cause this.

BS..... Putin's popularity in Russia hit the new record yesterday, 75,7% (VSTIOM public opinion agency)

• Like 1

Putin knows that if the west impose sanctions the hardship will fall on his people who will start to grumble and he will become less popular and when the riots start he will realise that they may want a new leader,so he's offsetting this by causing diplomatic waves as the last thing he wants is unrest and rebellion and sanctions will cause this.

Putin knows the west cannot impose sanctions which would hurt Russia, in fact this Ukrainian issue will see him consolidate his power at home. Political opponents are weak, In the recent Moscow mayor elections showed that even in Moscow the dissidents stronghold the opposition hasn't got huge support. a poll from Friday showed his popularity rise to 75.5%

Seeing how this crisis was caused by the continued policy of rubbing Russia's nose in it. i see it only fitting that the EU should send their EuroCorps. 60,000 Strong into Ukraine. they want to play a mans game, let them now stand up and be counted.

http://www.eurocorps.org/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eurocorps

LOL @ Russia changing its attitude on Iran. Russia is already on Iran's side on this issue. Just empty words that have no meaning.

• Like 1

The most obvious change would be to no longer support the UN sanctions on Iran that Russia has voted for in recent years. If we're going to sanction Russia in the same fashion, Russia isn't going to participate in pouring the poison we're making it drink.

Russia issued it's own retaliatory sanctions against Western states that imposed them, although what these were meant to achieve is beyond me other than "if you can do it, we can do it too".

I really don't understand what the mindset there is sometimes.

• Like 1

Well I guess a military strike on Iran's nuclear plants must be looking more and more feasible for the USA.

Well I guess a military strike on Iran's nuclear plants must be looking more and more feasible for the USA.

Obama will never do that. Israel might but I doubt it. Why should they? Why get attacked politically and economically for doing what the whole world needs to be doing? But Netanyahu is a true believer type and who knows? He may decide to jump and let others count the costs.

Obama will never do that. Israel might but I doubt it. Why should they? Why get attacked politically and economically for doing what the whole world needs to be doing? But Netanyahu is a true believer type and who knows? He may decide to jump and let others count the costs.

...considering how much Obama adores the use of soft power (economic and political sanctions) i tend to agree with ya that he won't. But Israel will for sure once they get the green light from the US hawks and Obama will more than likely step back with his hands in the air saying ' wasn't me'