Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Haunted Oak Lawn?

Brian Topp

What is a ghost?

“It’s a spirit,” answered one child.

“It’s an angel,” said another.

For paranormal investigator Carl Johnson, one answer stood out.

“A ghost,” a youngster said, “is a memory of someone who lived before.”

Over the course of Johnson’s March 14 program at the Oak Lawn branch of the Cranston Public Library, no conclusive answer emerged as to whether the historic building is home to any apparitions, or what the exact nature of those “ghosts” may be. But those on hand overwhelmingly felt they had seen enough to believe the presence of something unexplained is possible.

Read more: http://www.cranstononline.com/stories/Haunted-Oak-Lawn,90794?category_id=4&content_class=1&town_id=3&sub_type=stories

• Like 3

EVP's and a dowsing rod? Good grief. And I love the warning of 'kids don't try this at home'. lol

• Like 5

"The group spent several minutes in the schoolhouse".

A through investigation i'd say!

Well done.

• Like 4

Since 'ghosts and apparitions' are open for interpretation let me share a post I made yesterday in another thread here:

What kind of proof is needed?

Posted by spacelizard667 on 2014 March 20, 08:34 PM in Ghosts, Hauntings & The Paranormal

In psychology and neuroscience there is a broad category for describing 'ghosts' which can include hallucinations [yes these are considered valid nonordinary sources of perceptual information not readily accessible in ordinary conscious states], appraritions which have a few sub-categories 1. Apparitions resulting from medications (all types) or hallucinagenics, and

2. Apparitions that are not found to be produced by the human brain itself in the monitoring of the human brain's activities and functions but which seem to be perceived by the brain anyway. 3. Apparitions not originating from that individual's own brain but that seem to exert an influence that seems controlling or manipulative, a sort of 'ghost in the machine' if you will. This is possibly a residual entity influence or fear that their own personality can't seem to dislodge that continues to interfere or disrupt their lives. 4. The spiritual perception of beneficial apparitions or entities which might or might not be brought on by faith or personal beliefs in some sort of

universal goodness.

This is possibly the one kernel of truth to parapsychology research, it seem very unreliable only for the lack of test subjects for further experimentation perhaps. If any of you young buckos feel adventurous enough...... but behind this research there is also the sense that there is something yet further, something not unreachable.... that reaches for us with the more effort involved to establish a contact with them.

I sure hope this helps.

Since 'ghosts and apparitions' are open for interpretation let me share a post I made yesterday in another thread here:

What kind of proof is needed?

Posted by spacelizard667 on 2014 March 20, 08:34 PM in Ghosts, Hauntings & The Paranormal

In psychology and neuroscience there is a broad category for describing 'ghosts' which can include hallucinations [yes these are considered valid nonordinary sources of perceptual information not readily accessible in ordinary conscious states], appraritions which have a few sub-categories 1. Apparitions resulting from medications (all types) or hallucinagenics, and

2. Apparitions that are not found to be produced by the human brain itself in the monitoring of the human brain's activities and functions but which seem to be perceived by the brain anyway. 3. Apparitions not originating from that individual's own brain but that seem to exert an influence that seems controlling or manipulative, a sort of 'ghost in the machine' if you will. This is possibly a residual entity influence or fear that their own personality can't seem to dislodge that continues to interfere or disrupt their lives. 4. The spiritual perception of beneficial apparitions or entities which might or might not be brought on by faith or personal beliefs in some sort of

universal goodness.

This is possibly the one kernel of truth to parapsychology research, it seem very unreliable only for the lack of test subjects for further experimentation perhaps. If any of you young buckos feel adventurous enough...... but behind this research there is also the sense that there is something yet further, something not unreachable.... that reaches for us with the more effort involved to establish a contact with them.

I sure hope this helps.

Where is the broad category for ghosts defined and documented in the fields of psychology and the neurosciences? That is quite a lot to swallow without some kind of verification. Do you have anything sciencey we can read about it?

Edited by sinewave
  • Like 1

Where is the broad category for ghosts defined and documented in the fields of psychology and the neurosciences? That is quite a lot to swallow without some kind of verification. Do you have anything sciencey we can read about it?

So what have you got yourself that is sciency to show that even contrasts or conflicts against what I have just said ? What do you think is wrong with that yourself ?

Why don't you make a sciency commitment of your own if you have one.

Edited by spacelizard667

It's a shame the kid would be declared schizophrenic by a psychologist and be force fed antipsychotics which do nothing just to keep the "doctors" job.

Down with ghost trollers.

It's a shame the kid would be declared schizophrenic by a psychologist and be force fed antipsychotics which do nothing just to keep the "doctors" job.

Down with anti-psychiatry trollers.

• Like 1

This is sheer dribble, I know I am sorry mods but come on! kampz, I notice you like calling people trollers while doing an almost off topic rant. I also like how you show how uneducated you are when it comes to people who suffer mental health problems. You think that every person who see a ghost instantly get classed as mental case and drugged up? That does not happen! I for one think you need to educate yourself before spilling sheer total nonsense on these boards.

Down with stupidty trollers.

• Like 1

Cool, thats a very brave attempt by the school to encourage interest in a broader field of study material, all I got at that age was ghost stories on school field trips where camping out was involved, especially the one about the Axeman......thump...thump...thump...!

• Like 1