Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Iran is building mock-up of US carrier

toast

WASHINGTON — Iran is building a nonworking mock-up of an American nuclear-powered aircraft carrier

that United States officials say may be intended to be blown up for propaganda value. Intelligence analysts

studying satellite photos of Iranian military installations first noticed the vessel rising from the Gachin shipyard,

near Bandar Abbas on the Persian Gulf, last summer.

http://www.nytimes.c...tml?action&_r=0

:blink:

Edited by toast

They will probably blow it up and blame us.

If I was the U.S. Navy, I'd be flattered.

Next on the Iranian list will be...a Abraham tank. Maybe a U.S. drone after that....no wait, they already did that one didn't they?

Here I go again...I promised to stay out of the Politics sections and the such...

I have to agree with the report, their wasting a lot of money (instead of using it to fix their own problems) to build this mock-up so it can be used for purely propaganda-esque purposes. I welcome it in a way--it's always funny to see these Wacky Iranians and their apologists running around with their wild claims about the West in general, and the US specifically. It's slightly-better-than-average comedy.

A fake Iranian aircraft carrier, so we can continue engaging in the cognitive dissonance which is laughing at our "enemies" military forces while railing about how much of a threat they are at the same time.

• Like 6

Am I missing something? The article says the mock carrier has a number 68 painted neatly near the bow and mock fake air craft on the deck. Am I blind?

Is there another photo some where?

lol

Edited by acidhead
  • Like 4

They could have an updated photo that they just aren't releasing.

Why would they build that just to blow it up though? How do we know they aren't building it to use it? That would be a massive waste of time and money as far as I'm concerned.

Why would they build that just to blow it up though? How do we know they aren't building it to use it? That would be a massive waste of time and money as far as I'm concerned.

To quote anyone in Iran when they do something wacky like this:

"Taa-Daa!!!!"

The article says the number 68 is painted neatly near the bow... how can a satelite see it?

Here's a pic of a bow of a ship:

post-50209-0-28202300-1395462028_thumb.j

This nytimes article doesn't make any sense to me.

Haha

• Like 3

Then again... it is the nytimes.. the same newspaper that sold the iraq invasion in '03.

Some people I know refer to the nytimes as the toilet paper of record.

lol

• Like 2

Looking at that picture, it don't even come close to looking like a Nimitz-class aircraft carrier. Could it possibly be, they're just trying to build their own aircraft carrier?

• Like 2

And some people believe every single word of this nonsense.

Here I go again...I promised to stay out of the Politics sections and the such...

I have to agree with the report, their wasting a lot of money (instead of using it to fix their own problems) to build this mock-up so it can be used for purely propaganda-esque purposes. I welcome it in a way--it's always funny to see these Wacky Iranians and their apologists running around with their wild claims about the West in general, and the US specifically. It's slightly-better-than-average comedy.

Replace the word "Iranians" with "hawks in Washington", and "the West in general and the US specifically" with "Islamic countries in general and Iran particularly" and you have a pretty good description of the ever more absurd propaganda turned out by Washington.

I don't think this is "whacky" at all.... I think it could be deadly serious.

The US spokesman described this vessel as an unpowered barge, possibly to be used for some propaganda excercise (such as blowing it up).

OK... how about THIS ?

It is an unpowered, towed barge that will allow the Iranian air force and navy to use as target practice. Not to sink it (initially), but to calibrate their aircraft radars, missile seeker heads, and torpedoes, for an attack on the real thing.

They could also mount radars on the barge to get a feel (albeit only crudely) as to what their small-attack-craft "look like" from the aircraft carriers perspective. (all the better to refine their "swarm" tactics, should a US carrier every be foolish enough to get within range of these vessels).

IF that is what they are doing, then it is VERY clever. The barge wouldn't give a true representation of a real Nimitz, but its better than nothing.

Very clever - and very inventive. A classic piece of assymetrical warfare. It also has a powerful psychological effect: the US are now going to be VERY wary of getting a carrier too close to the Iranian navy. (such as it is).

I have to say... I'm impressed.

Which is all something that all navies do, of course, but as usual, if Iran does it, as far as the Hawks are concerned, it's uniquely sinister and proof that they've evil Intent.

• Like 1

Which is all something that all navies do, of course, but as usual, if Iran does it, as far as the Hawks are concerned, it's uniquely sinister and proof that they've evil Intent.

Its called propaganda.

Br Cornelius

orrrr.. they are building an aircraft carrier? Seems like a logical place to build one... IN a shipyard... very near the Gulf?

... from the link : When the mock-up will take its maiden voyage — if it ever does — is anyone’s guess, analysts said. The vessel is nearing completion, they said, and will presumably be shipped by rail on tracks that run through the shipyard, to its destiny in the Persian Gulf just a few hundred yards away.

Replace the word "Iranians" with "hawks in Washington", and "the West in general and the US specifically" with "Islamic countries in general and Iran particularly" and you have a pretty good description of the ever more absurd propaganda turned out by Washington.

No, I got it right. I'm not an Iranian apologist, and I'll take my own country over any other, especially over that of a fanatical Islamic terrorist state.

I don't think this is "whacky" at all.... I think it could be deadly serious.

The US spokesman described this vessel as an unpowered barge, possibly to be used for some propaganda excercise (such as blowing it up).

OK... how about THIS ?

It is an unpowered, towed barge that will allow the Iranian air force and navy to use as target practice. Not to sink it (initially), but to calibrate their aircraft radars, missile seeker heads, and torpedoes, for an attack on the real thing.

They could also mount radars on the barge to get a feel (albeit only crudely) as to what their small-attack-craft "look like" from the aircraft carriers perspective. (all the better to refine their "swarm" tactics, should a US carrier every be foolish enough to get within range of these vessels).

IF that is what they are doing, then it is VERY clever. The barge wouldn't give a true representation of a real Nimitz, but its better than nothing.

Very clever - and very inventive. A classic piece of assymetrical warfare. It also has a powerful psychological effect: the US are now going to be VERY wary of getting a carrier too close to the Iranian navy. (such as it is).

I have to say... I'm impressed.

Actually, you would have to discount Iran's utter incompetency in all things military if what you posted were to be true. You're vastly overestimating Iran.

Actually, you would have to discount Iran's utter incompetency in all things military if what you posted were to be true. You're vastly overestimating Iran.

I suspect you are vastly underestimating Iran. The only way America could win a war against Iran is if they flattened the whole country. They fight differently to the US and they fight for different reasons - but do not doubt that they would fight to the last man standing.

Br Cornelius

Its a shipyard and they are making a ship in it!

We must stop them.

• Like 1

I suspect you are vastly underestimating Iran. The only way America could win a war against Iran is if they flattened the whole country. They fight differently to the US and they fight for different reasons - but do not doubt that they would fight to the last man standing.

Br Cornelius

Ok, what makes you think I am underestimating Iran? What, in the past history of these two countries, can you possibly show that makes Iran an equal to the US in military matters? What makes you think they will fight to the last man standing?

Iraq ended up with the mother of all surrenders--and it, then, had a more powerful force than Iran does now. Look up Operation: Praying Mantis (and that was when Iran had a better navy than it does now). It's preposterous to think that they stand any sort of chance against the US.

I'm not underestimating Iran at all. You're overestimating them, and underestimating the US (though with Obama in charge, be certain that we aren't as strong as we could be).

I'm sorry that Iran terrifies you so much. Do some research, you'll feel better afterward.

• Like 1

Ok, what makes you think I am underestimating Iran? What, in the past history of these two countries, can you possibly show that makes Iran an equal to the US in military matters? What makes you think they will fight to the last man standing?

Iraq ended up with the mother of all surrenders--and it, then, had a more powerful force than Iran does now. Look up Operation: Praying Mantis (and that was when Iran had a better navy than it does now). It's preposterous to think that they stand any sort of chance against the US.

I'm not underestimating Iran at all. You're overestimating them, and underestimating the US (though with Obama in charge, be certain that we aren't as strong as we could be).

I'm sorry that Iran terrifies you so much. Do some research, you'll feel better afterward.

Perhaps he'll feel better once the ground is leveled with an Iranian nuclear capability. He seems to hate America so much that he thinks it will be a good thing for the world.