Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Why can't some people see ghosts?

Hvashi

I have always wondered about people who've never seen nor experienced anything paranormal. They adamantly deny the existence of ghosts with the same response, "well, I've never seen one, so they must not exist". I look at them in incredulity because my own experience is the exact opposite. I know that each individual has a subjective viewpoint, but I cannot fathom how somehow has never seen anything even remotely curious or peculiar to make them question.

Why do you think some people are apparently unable to see spirits or ghosts?

• Like 4

To be fair to the OP, everyone has different experiences, and everyone experiences them differently. If you say you saw a ghost, then I will agree that you saw something. But it's not a ghost--mainly because they don't exist; or, at least, haven't been proven to exist. I have seen a few strange things, but through excruciating use of common sense and logic, I have deduced what each thing was. There is absolutely no need to jump to the wildest conclusions the instant something unexplained happens. What you see, to you, may be ghosts, but if you looked into it with a logical approach and a healthy dose of common sense, you will most likely discover that it wasn't ghosts at all.

So, to counter you directly, I cannot fathom how somehow who sees something unexplained, or at least unexpected, must always think it's a ghost first and foremost. I nigh-inconceivable that their minds would jump to such conclusions in this day and age (well, it's fairly conceivable, I'm just being nice about it).

• Like 4

I'm not certain that "ghosts" exist per se, but to have never seen anything that has even made you question the mere possibility is strange to me. I have noticed that many "intellectual" types who argue for logic and rationality and science seem to completely look past the fact that many scientific discoveries were once deemed impossible or crazy-talk. If every scientist was close-minded and not even open to the discovery of subatomic particles, black holes etc, then our world would be so bleak. The same goes to spirits or ghosts ... scientists should at least try to figure out just what is being experienced.

Also, I know that many "intellectual, rational" people prefer to ridicule rather than discuss things respectfully, so I'm not surprised at the snarky comments...it doesn't bother me. I'd just prefer a little more substance to the comments. *shrugs*

• Like 5

I have always wondered about people who've never seen nor experienced anything paranormal.

I've always wondered about people that say they have. And I'm not alone.

They adamantly deny the existence of ghosts with the same response, "well, I've never seen one, so they must not exist". I look at them in incredulity because my own experience is the exact opposite. I know that each individual has a subjective viewpoint, but I cannot fathom how somehow has never seen anything even remotely curious or peculiar to make them question.

I've never seen, heard, or experienced anything that I would say was supernatural. I think that makes me normal. I've also never seen a Bigfoot, Chupacabra, or any other cryptid. No UFOs either and especially no reptillians. Again, that makes me normal in my opinion.

What exactly makes you believe that you have seen a ghost? Why is it that what you may or may not have seen is to you a ghost? What exactly is a ghost? Who gets to decide the definition? Who says it's not some trick your mind is playing on you like pareidolia?

Too many questions to just say.......there's a ghost......things generally have a rational explanation.

Why do you think some people are apparently unable to see spirits or ghosts?

Like others have said, they don't exist except in people's minds that are highly susceptible to vivid imaginations.

• Like 3

Iv never seen. Had one sketchy experience. I know people who claim to have though.

Edit: just wanted to point out that their are quite a few people on this site who claim to have, the skeptics tend to answer these threads the fastest though, just a warning lol

Edited by spartan max2
  • Like 2

Ok, well for substance.

The mind doesn't like an incomplete picture, so when you see something out of your peripheral vision, your mind wants to decide what it is, if you're the type to believe in the supernatural, then the likelihood of you deciding it was a ghost is greater.

Light does weird things when it's refracted and reflected, so a glimmer that you may see or a bit of strange color someone might see at a certain point everyday can be that.

Memory- our minds take in millions of bits of information a day, we can't usually remember specifics about conversations we've had 15 minutes ago. as such, when we're scared our minds don't do so well remembering things aside from the emotions experienced. Therefore it is likely that someone who was scared, as someone who sees a ghost is probably going to be, doesn't entirely remember details 100 percent correctly.

Furthermore, our minds make us believe our flawed memories are correct. So, when our memory's correctness is brought up, we're offended and are less likely to change our minds, because in the human mind the idea is "I saw it, so it must be"

Now, all of this said, ever believer likes to throw out "well you cant prove it's not there" and you're correct in that, but it's also the incorrect application of science and logic.

Science and logic aren't bouncers who throw annoying ideas our of the bar that is reality, instead think of them as standards.

All the things that exist were held to that standard, and we have them because they passed, there are also thousands of flawed ideas we don't hold onto, because they didn't meet the standards.

And, as of yet, ghosts haven't met the standards for reality. As such, more evidence is needed.

The difference between sub atomic particles and black holes is that there is enough evidence given to the ideas that they are close to being accepted. However, if you notice, black holes are still a bit of controversy in science.

Don't take it so personally when jokes are made.

You're also going to say "I didn't take it personally," and, yes you did because you're arguing the point with me.

I'll admit I took the

I'd just prefer a little more substance to the comments. *shrugs*

personally, because it's passive agressive and obnoxious

• Like 3

To all you lovely members I've known for awhile now, they do exist.

I don't know why some don't have paranormal experiences, or if they acknowledge them as perceptions gone wack.

From all of the extensive research I have on the subject, polls have stated that at least 70% claim to believe in the paranormal. But, that's not the same as seeing a demon face to face.

• Like 3

I'm not certain that "ghosts" exist per se, but to have never seen anything that has even made you question the mere possibility is strange to me.

Then why should anyone jump to the conclusion that ghosts exist?

I have noticed that many "intellectual" types who argue for logic and rationality and science seem to completely look past the fact that many scientific discoveries were once deemed impossible or crazy-talk. If every scientist was close-minded and not even open to the discovery of subatomic particles, black holes etc, then our world would be so bleak. The same goes to spirits or ghosts ... scientists should at least try to figure out just what is being experienced.

This sounds exactly like something a religious person would say about god.

Also, I know that many "intellectual, rational" people prefer to ridicule rather than discuss things respectfully, so I'm not surprised at the snarky comments...it doesn't bother me. I'd just prefer a little more substance to the comments. *shrugs*

Not ridiculing......just questioning...

I don't know why some don't have paranormal experiences, or if they acknowledge them as perceptions gone wack.

From all of the extensive research I have on the subject, polls have stated that at least 70% claim to believe in the paranormal. But, that's not the same as seeing a demon face to face.

No disrespect, but claims are not scientific proof.

How is one to believe when they haven't had any experiences?

• Like 4

Conditioning is the likely answer...governed by rationales, if you weren't programmed to 'see' things others 'see' then you wont as your mind will simply subdue the 'seeing' and revert to type.

The same goes for any subject matter really so its a no brainer, folks 'see' what they are comfortable 'seeing'.

• Like 3

interesting questions and interesting comments. I personally dont think its weird at all for people not to believe in something they havent seen at all and dont understand why they havent esp when they have a peer group who believe the same as they. They just are basing what they believe on their own experiences, just like one who sees a spirit will base their belief on that. When it comes to belief, its just two sides of the same coin.

"I've never seen, heard, or experienced anything that I would say was supernatural. I think that makes me normal. I've also never seen a Bigfoot, Chupacabra, or any other cryptid. No UFOs either and especially no reptillians. Again, that makes me normal in my opinion."

What is normal thou? Maybe 50% of people have seen something weird so maybe its normal to see something weird? I havent seen a study saying the percentage of people who have either seen a UF0, ghost or something else weird. Have you?

"Why do you think some people are apparently unable to see spirits or ghosts?"

There is a couple of different answers for that I can think of.

1/ If someone who doesnt believe in spirits sees one.. they are very likely to try to deny to themselves what they saw and will try to put it down to having an active imagination etc. People even believe in "group halluncinations" when more then one person sees something at the same time. So even if they do see one, it can be dismissed.

Ive seen an example of this in my own very Christian sister... She was on holiday with me one time and we both saw a reptilian (a guy lost his form and this other image came over him.. he wasnt aware it happened but both sister and I clearly saw it.. there was nothing at all which triggered this incident off for us.. we were out at the time, we dont drink, we dont do drugs, it wasnt dark). She freaked so badly her nails into my arm nearly drew blood, she left me with bruises from her fingers where she clutched at me in horror. When she finally settled down.. she started going on that we must of both had like a group hallunicination.

She actually for a few years, then it was her belief that is what happened, a mutual halluncination (I find this lack of finding something so hard to believe kind of funny esp when both saw, it wasnt the first time Ive experienced reptilians). It took her to be visiting a friend one day and seeing a book sitting on a table with a drawing of a reptilian on its front cover (she freaked out when she saw that and phoned me about it shocked to see a picture of what she'd seen) for her to be back to believing that what we experienced was real.. mentally, she still struggles with that fact but can now no longer put it down to mutual halluncination.

2/ Another why people cant see ghosts is to do with their own energy fields (chakra development etc). Unlike my other two sisters, that sister of mine had NEVER seen anything strange in her life before and I know she would of never had that experience that day with me had she not be walking right next to me at the time.. she was in my auric field and hence my energy was affecting hers and that allowed her to get some psychic sight come in when mine kicked in strong.. allow her to see what I saw at the same time (I didnt thou react to it as Im used to weirdness but she wasnt..so she majorly reacted with a big gasp, stopping dead in her tracks and grabbing hold of me.. I actually had to prise her fingers off of my arm.. she was like frozen to the spot).

Some advanced yogis use the knowledge that being near and the intermingling then of auras, can help the other to see (transmit the ability).. to help teach their pupils (so Im not guessing that is what happened in my sisters case..

So my advice is for anyone wanting to experience this stuff who hasnt before.. hang out with psychics or get yourself a clairvoyance teacher (this skill can be taught.. Ive no idea if it can be easily taught to all but it can be taught to ones who couldnt previously see things.. find yourself a yogi master or something like that to learn from). Thirdly.. working on your spiritual development and energy... helps develop bigger chakras and that in turn can end up with the unexpected affect of experiencing some of the stranger stuff as the chakras become bigger and more active. (some are lucky and are just born with larger chakras).

Edited by sea-dove

I'm not certain that "ghosts" exist per se, but to have never seen anything that has even made you question the mere possibility is strange to me. I have noticed that many "intellectual" types who argue for logic and rationality and science seem to completely look past the fact that many scientific discoveries were once deemed impossible or crazy-talk. If every scientist was close-minded and not even open to the discovery of subatomic particles, black holes etc, then our world would be so bleak. The same goes to spirits or ghosts ... scientists should at least try to figure out just what is being experienced.

I'm totally open to the idea that ghosts might exist. If you're willing to put forth some evidence, I'd be happy to look at it. Yes, many scientific discoveries seemed impossible at one point, and then evidence was discovered. Until evidence is put forward for the paranormal there is no reason to believe in it. The entire paranormal field is based on arguments from ignorance. You can put quotes around the terms rational and intellectual all you want, it doesn't make your argument any more valid.

Care to provide evidence?

It wouldn't surprise me, but just because a large group of people believe in something doesn't make it true.

• Like 2

If ghosts do exist I would say most never see them due to lack of opportunity.

Me personally, the closest I've ever come to *seeing* something would be back when I was a teenager. I kept seeing what looked like my arm/leg walking around corners for a few weeks, and when I would investigate the room it would be empty. I just shrugged it off as something I couldn't really do anything about and life went on.

Then towards the end of the few weeks this was going on, I was in the kitchen looking through the fridge when I heard my friend walk into my room talking to me. A few moments later he found me in the kitchen and asked how I got there since he saw me walk into my room.

I have no idea what was going on, but a few days later I stopped seeing these things and that was that.

It wouldn't surprise me, but just because a large group of people believe in something doesn't make it true.

So true. Everyone used to believe the world was flat, which is a good example of people just believing something just due to others they respected believing it.

Hence I personally think its better if people keep an open mind and let their own experiences guide a lot too and use whatever logic there is to analyse ones own experiences. One can learn a lot from that esp when it comes to fields in which there are quite opposing views out there.

• Like 1

I'm not certain that "ghosts" exist per se, but to have never seen anything that has even made you question the mere possibility is strange to me.

The things I have seen that, and I'm sure others will agree, have made me question the mere possibility that you mention. However, I was able to rationalize what I saw...then I moved on.

I have noticed that many "intellectual" types who argue for logic and rationality and science seem to completely look past the fact that many scientific discoveries were once deemed impossible or crazy-talk. If every scientist was close-minded and not even open to the discovery of subatomic particles, black holes etc, then our world would be so bleak. The same goes to spirits or ghosts ... scientists should at least try to figure out just what is being experienced.

Why would you put intellectual in quotations? Are you trying to insult those that logically approach these sightings? Do you hold yourself superior to them because you don't approach these sightings with a bit of rationality?

Seems to me that the snarky side of this is when someone's claim is approached rationally, and logical solutions are offered, only to be angrily spurned by the person in question--usually because the explanations refute their own wild conclusions. Though at times, the logical side can be snarky, and that has to do with running out of patience with the illogical side.

• Like 2

Great point made by Euphorbia.. "What exactly is a ghost? Who gets to decide the definition?" No one gets to decide the definition, it has to come direct from so-called spirits themselves.. surely?

Edited by -Desiderata-
  • Like 1

For whatever reasons just seeing anything at all that isn't clearly visible to others is considered very wrong by society's opinions, there are very concrete social standards about what is real and very definately, definately about what isn't. I don't know if this is the universal experience but anybody who says stuff like that is sent to see a psychiatrist.... right away. Ouch...testing was rather expensive.

Edited by spacelizard667
  • Like 1

Maybe it's like a TV, you might get that channel and you might not.

i could have came up with a better analogy but you get the idea.

• Like 1

Yes exactly. Very much like seeing ghosts on a television set, but without turning the television on.

I believe ghosts, I had a few experiences, but your topic title is wrong, its not why cant SOME people see ghosts it is why cant MOST people see ghosts

• Like 2

The problem with this way of thinking is that whilst the odd "impossible or crazy-talk" theory turns out to be true, most of them remain impossible and crazy-talk.