Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

UFOs sighted over southern Alberta

UM-Bot

A mother and daughter near Nanton witnessed two mysterious objects flying over their ranch last week.

Sam Martine and her 14-year-old daughter Baylie had been watching TV when they noticed some strange lights through the window. After venturing outside they observed two bright objects hovering over a field approximately 1km away.

Read More: http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/news/264142/ufos-sighted-over-southern-alberta

Its an insect.. in the genus.. ufolookatit wowagati. Even if this was a long exposure, it looks like multiple orbs. Neat!

Maximus

• Like 1

So that tiny, horribly compressed image, which is showing clear pixellation presumably from being cropped to within an inch of its life, was taken on a genuine DSLR camera, not a camera phone? And they are saying it was 'out of focus'?

I'm sorry, but if that is all true and the image is a full and good representation of what was captured on a DSLR that was unfocused, I'm a pink unicorn.

(I'm NOT a pink unicorn.)

I'd love to hear the TRUE story and see the real unmessed-with image, but as usual, that doesn't seem to be anywhere on the webz. And they say she got a FEW photos, so where are the others?

I'm getting truly sick to death of this sort of crappy story, with no original images and the single image* we do get is processed/cropped and seems to completely contradict the story - that image is nothing like what they described.. and the timeline of events is highly questionable.

Grrr.

* Stop Press - another image found...!

I did find a second image.. not that it helps:

http://nationalufocenter.com/2014/03/ufo-sightings-in-nanton-have-people-looking-to-skies-south-of-calgary/

FTR - I think these folks know exactly what those images actually show... But I'll wait until they turn up here and/or post all the original imagery somewhere. Including images taken immediately before and after these...

Just for the search engines, so they find who has mentioned their names:

Sam Martine Nanton UFO DSLR Southern Alberta

Edited by ChrLzs
  • Like 4

So that tiny, horribly compressed image, which is showing clear pixellation presumably from being cropped to within an inch of its life, was taken on a genuine DSLR camera, not a camera phone? And they are saying it was 'out of focus'?

I'm sorry, but if that is all true and the image is a full and good representation of what was captured on a DSLR that was unfocused, I'm a pink unicorn.

(I'm NOT a pink unicorn.)

I'd love to hear the TRUE story and see the real unmessed-with image, but as usual, that doesn't seem to be anywhere on the webz. And they say she got a FEW photos, so where are the others?

I'm getting truly sick to death of this sort of crappy story, with no original images and the single image we do get is processed/cropped and seems to completely contradict the story - that image is nothing like what they described.. and the timeline of events is highly questionable.

Grrr.

I feel your pain ChrLzs.

I found an article with one of the larger images for you, still cropped and optimised though.

http://www.nantonnew...ted-near-nanton

What is interesting (well not that interesting really :whistle: ) is in this article there are more excuses for the poor quality of the images ('She said her camera would only work if she moved, but wouldn't work if she was aiming directly at the lights.') and the objects sat there hovering where as in the original article the objects where moving and its implied that lack of time was the reason for the poor quality images. But it's the magic self deleting photo mentioned in the first article that made me chuckle especially as the second article says the camera phone was unable to take pictures due to it failing to work.

Bad reporting or bad witnesses? A bit of both probably...

Edit to add: This article has two pictures (http://www.thewhig.com/2014/03/20/ufos-sighted-in-south-alberta-sky-report). Don't get excited before you hit the link though.

Edited by Junior Chubb
  • Like 2

Thanks JC. That image you found is obviously still not an original - no DSLR takes an image of those proportions (ie at a close-to-square 1/1.2 aspect ratio). And naturally all of these image have had the exif data stripped from them. I'm smelling a big rat..

And yes, some of the testimony is quite funny, as is some of the 'analysis' provided by self-proclaimed UFO experts (a special hi to Peter Davenport..)..

The pictures are quite interesting in that it is quite difficult to get those effects from a typical night scene - namely several bright single points of light, along with several trails that are not similar to each other (although there are faint 'echoes'), nor are the trails aligned to any of the bright lights.. There are a couple of scenarios I can think of which could give those results.. but I'd prefer to keep those under my hat until the originals (inc exif data) turn up or someone simply admits it is a hoax...

I think anyone who has done a lot of time exposures (like me..) will know what I mean when I say that these images are 'unusual' and also do not match the description of the event at all. I think the exif data would be VERY interesting...

• Like 3

I think anyone who has done a lot of time exposures (like me..) will know what I mean when I say that these images are 'unusual' and also do not match the description of the event at all. I think the exif data would be VERY interesting...

I see what you mean about the 'moving' trails and the static lights, I can't explain this myself outside of image manipulation but hey, I'm no Peter Davenport.

I think anyone who has done a lot of time exposures knows they create more enigmatic images (especially with lights in the dark).

I don't think you will be getting that exif data... :no:

• Like 1

The pics definitely look like a time lapse photos. Even if the "objects" were moving as quickly as estimated, the distance probably wouldn't leave a trail like the ones in the photos.

Another one bites the dust.

• Like 1

If anyone finds any more imagery (ie originals), decent interviews, hoax admissions, or stuff on those folks Facebook pages (I'm not an FBer..) that is relevant, please post here..

Otherwise, I ain't wasting further time... although after I've waited a reasonable while to see if the claimants do anything to support their story - eg release the original images - I'll drop back and explain what I think those images actually show, and why I am of the VERY strong opinion that they have little or nothing to do with what was described...

So, search engines :), that's SAM MARTINE from NANTON in SOUTHERN ALBERTA, who saw a UFO and shot it with their DSLR.

Allegedly.

Anyone like to talk Sam into visiting here?

• Like 2

Nanton UFO Sighting: Additonal Witnesses Come Forward

People in the Nanton area are looking up at the skies more this week after UFO sightings on March 16.

Sam Martine, who lives three miles west of Nanton, says two bright lights appeared about 11 p.m. in the sky above their neighbour’s house about a quarter of a mile away.

“The first light was about as big as a large yard light — that is what I thought it was at first — but very bright white,” says Martine, who was in her house when the lights first appeared.

The second light was higher in the air than the first, and the two lights sat in one spot for about four or five minutes before moving upward. That’s when Martine and her daughter Baylie went outside, and the lights came toward them, making no sound.

http://www.nantonnews.com/2014/03/24/second-sighting-of-ufos

Photographer here. The image is of a solid light with a blinking light beside it, the squigliness is from the camera not being on a tripod. Here's a helicopter at night. Rgardless it's just a light in the sky.

6493f459f60c2aa4.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Another "Bad shot" moment. Seems this always happens to UFO and Ghost photos. Darn the luck.

• Like 2