Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Turkey Shoots Down Syrian Warplane

questionmark

Turkey downed a Syrian warplane that crossed into its airspace, escalating already inflamed tensions with its neighbor as the Turkish government battles widening corruption allegations.

The Turkish air force fired a missile today at a Syrian MiG-23 that had ignored four warnings and briefly penetrated 1 kilometer (0.6 mile) into Turkish airspace, Turkey’s military said in a statement.

“A Syrian plane violated our airspace. Turkish F-16s took off and shot it down,” Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan said during an election rally in Kocaeli province, east of Istanbul, ahead of March 30 local elections. “Our slap will be heavier if you violate my airspace again.”

Read more

Always a good way to cause a distraction from personal unpopularity of the current Government.

Did Erdogan announce it on Twitter?

• Like 2

F16 vs Mig23 ? Pfft... it would have been a Turkey-shoot. Umm.. so to speak.

• Like 2

F16 vs Mig23 ? Pfft... it would have been a Turkey-shoot. Umm.. so to speak.

I doubt the MiG pilot ever heard anything but a warning squawk...maybe...

Well Turkey can release some of its aerial shame from getting owned by the Greeks. Get some of that old school Ottoman groove back

Well Turkey can release some of its aerial shame from getting owned by the Greeks. Get some of that old school Ottoman groove back

I think Turkiye just dont care about Greeks. I have never heard the word "Greek" from the mouth of any Turk. Countries allow each other to small scale invasions of the airspace, but Syria stay out of this situation.

Erdo gunn is a serious player

Yes, he is. He wants to be your new Caliph.

Yes, he is. He wants to be your new Caliph.

Serbia can remove kebab.

...Erdogan is a Islamic dictator that has local elections next month and a little war with a depleted and exhausted Syria seems to be the tonic for all these authoritarian types to increase their popularity...just look at Putin, 78% satisfaction rating after he invaded the Crimea.

• Like 1

...Erdogan is a Islamic dictator that has local elections next month and a little war with a depleted and exhausted Syria seems to be the tonic for all these authoritarian types to increase their popularity...just look at Putin, 78% satisfaction rating after he invaded the Crimea.

Wrong interpretation. If Turkiye want a war, they would not warn the planes before the attack. One of them returned after the warnings, other one insisted on staying in the area and was shot down.

Wrong interpretation. If Turkiye want a war, they would not warn the planes before the attack. One of them returned after the warnings, other one insisted on staying in the area and was shot down.

What does "wrong interpretation" mean? You don't think that Erdogan and the AKP faithful are capable and willing to engineer a hot incident or even a war to distract from the scandals and wire taps that have rocked the ruling Islamo/democratic party...I'll remind you my dear of Erdogans and Davidogalou's neo-ottoman foreign policy of 'zero problems with neighbours' and where it has lead to now. The AKP has used foreign policy in the past (mani mavara, Syria, Armenia and Cyprus) to further he's domestic standing and with the current scandals threatening his political survival it wouldn't surprise anyone that he use's Syria again to distract from his troubles. The Syrian planes had not entered Turkish airspace BUT rather came close. So the warnings mean nothing since they were still in Syrian airspace...

Edited by Harry_Dresden

What does "wrong interpretation" mean? You don't think that Erdogan and the AKP faithful are capable and willing to engineer a hot incident or even a war to distract from the scandals and wire taps that have rocked the ruling Islamo/democratic party...I'll remind you my dear of Erdogans and Davidogalou's neo-ottoman foreign policy of 'zero problems with neighbours' and where it has lead to now. The AKP has used foreign policy in the past (mani mavara, Syria, Armenia and Cyprus) to further he's domestic standing and with the current scandals threatening his political survival it wouldn't surprise anyone that he use's Syria again to distract from his troubles. The Syrian planes had not entered Turkish airspace BUT rather came close. So the warnings mean nothing since they were still in Syrian airspace...

I dont think that Government would start a war just to change country agenda, would be a major obstacle to the development of Turkiye. According to whom the planes had not entered Turkish airspace ? According to Syria ? For Turkiye, it was in their area and shoted down. You dont know what is policy. Policy means "you're right if you're stronger".

Salaam

• Like 1