Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Baffling coded messages discovered

Still Waters

Calling all cryptographers - there's a real-life mystery unfolding at Western University.

At least 15 hidden messages have been discovered at the school's D.B. Weldon Library, written entirely in symbols on standard printer paper, and concealed in plain-white envelopes tucked inside the pages of various books.

http://www.thestar.c...university.html

• Like 2

ahhhh young girls these days...... bringing their fantasy world into reality world...

most probably from fantasy genre video games

role playing video games these days are very elaborate indeed,. right down to the characters (in the game)values and customs

It looks like a more artistic version of the infamous zodiac killer cyphers

• Like 1

The fact that they were found in books, usually between the same number pages suggests the books themselves might be the key to cracking the code. Since they were removed from the books if they didn't note which book they were found in it might make it impossible for them to be solved.

• Like 3

Hilarious. :w00t: Seems like one or more students are exercising their creative muscles.

• Like 2

We should get in on this. Everybody get a couple friends, invent a code, and start leaving messages. They don't even have to mean anything, just look mysterious. It would be a good followup to 8:00 PM April 5, 2014.

8:00 PM April 5, 2014.

Wish I still flew.......

_ _. _ _ _ _ _ _ _ . . _ . .. _ _ . .... _

• Like 1

Was just reading up on this. It is interesting to me that here we have an ACTUAL mysterious event that is unsolved, and it is worth only one page, but Atlantis.... OH BOY! That's a 100 page minimum baby.

I would tend to agree this is a student, or former student, or even a professor. Maybe trying a stunt to show to themselves that they are just oh so smart. Every day that goes by this guy will think he's a winner. Though the truth, IMHO, is that actually just no body cares....

• Like 1

Yes, it's very interesting. According to Weldon's blog pg, the symbols are not wingdings.

This will be very tough to decode, esp. if it's not in English. :yes:

Most all of the full-length lines on the notes contain either 14 or 15 characters, (symbols). :cry:

Also, w/ at least 40 different symbols it's most likely not a single symbol to a single letter translation.

Where's S. Holmes when you need him??? :unsure2:

I'd probably use 3 or 4 languages in such a message, with every word rotating into a different language. And then each paragraph/page would be a different pattern.

Or maybe use 4 languages off 4 continents...

• Like 1

Most all of the full-length lines on the notes contain either 14 or 15 characters, (symbols) and most envelopes were found between pgs. 16/17 in each book.

One half-baked idea I had was the 3 main symbols represented animals-vegtables-minerals (Feather-leaf-gem).

Another impression I got was that they could be chemistry formulas, and the mixing of chemical compounds to create...something. :unsure2:

Maybe they are recipes for roast duck, etc, who knows. :unsure2:

My first impression was it was something associated with LARPing - perhaps a riddle LARPer's have to figure out.

• Like 2

If the messages aren't intended for anything but a mystery, they very well might not say anything at all. Or something like, "Congratulations! You solved it!" or something.

• Like 2

My first impression was it was something associated with LARPing - perhaps a riddle LARPer's have to figure out.

Could very well be. I've known some LARPers and that sounds like something that a game master might set up.

Wonder if anyone has actually broken down each message into a spreadsheet or table with symbol count and position in the message. Also, I'd be curious to see a list of the dewey decimal system/card catalog numbers and ISBN numbers of the titles of the books to see if there are any clues with those.

• Like 1

I would tend to agree this is a student, or former student,

Looks like I was right in this at least.... :yes:

• Like 1

Could easily be a psychotic person. And the symbols mean something to that person *only*.

Just an opinon.

And Still Waters, Question: Do "Still Waters run deep"?

Somebody tried to tell me they don't. Said that Still Waters were actually still. Just sayin'! :whistle:

Would ideally go for a frequency count. Then go over the known ciphers. Observe the layout and consider "meshed" symbols (one symbol representing a number of letters).

If the books are of any meaning to it as aforementioned then one would need to look for any possible links with certain patterns in the symbols that show any correlation to passages on the particular pages to produce a sensical piece of text.