Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Police warn about roadkill dangers

Still Waters

Police have issued a public health warning yesterday (Mon) after a respected surgeon revealed that he is feeding his family on roadkill.

Dr Austin Hunt says he has turned animal carcasses found on the roadside into tasty, nutritious dishes including tenderloin of wild venison and badger balti.

http://www.telegraph...dger-balti.html

Where I live, the consumption of roadkill is legal, but I think it should be certfied by a vet as "safe"

As far as cooking, low temps for many hours will not kill the little nasties that might be there. I think it has to be 140-160 for 10-minutes or even much longer. Not sure. I don't eat roadkill.

I would have thought the biggest danger was having a Deer go through your windscreen while trying to source a cheap dinner...

• Like 2

That's pretty dangerous. I've seen people take game that was freshly killed by a car (usually they were driving it), but I'd never consider consuming something that I simply came across on the side of the road.

• Like 1

When an animal is prepared for consumption, it is first gutted so that all the stomach and intestinal fluids do not leak all over the meat, thus ruining it. With roadkill I would expect the meat to be tainted.

• Like 2

I hit a deer one time. Some guys stopped and help me put down the poor deer. My car was wrecked just as I was about to sell it. They took the deer and later brought me some nice steaks from it. I saw nothing wrong with that.

I knew a man years ago, who worked for the Salvation Army. He told the highway patrol that if they had a freshly hit deer, let him know and he'd retrieve it in his pickup.

Meanwhile, he made arrangements for after-hours contact with a local butcher.

The butcher would cut and wrap it, and label it VENISON.

A lot of families got frozen venison from the Salvation Army, until the damnable lawyers got into it. He had to stop picking up roadkill deer and elk.

Such a waste of meat.

He couldn't even bring it home for his own consumption.

Nothing wrong with fresh road kill, if the bruised meat is cut away and it's rinsed clean. If it can safely fill some bellies, where's the harm?

But road kill that has been exposed to hot sun, forget it. Drag it 100 yards off the road for the coyotes, ravens, magpies and bald eagles. They have to eat too, you know.

• Like 1