Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Aborted babies incinerated to heat hospitals

OverSword

Oh my. This just doesn't seem kosher at all does it?

From the article:

The bodies of thousands of aborted and miscarried babies were incinerated as clinical waste, with some even used to heat hospitals, an investigation has found.

Ten NHS trusts have admitted burning foetal remains alongside other rubbish while two others used the bodies in ‘waste-to-energy’ plants which generate power for heat.

Last night the Department of Health issued an instant ban on the practice which health minister Dr Dan Poulter branded ‘totally unacceptable.’

At least 15,500 foetal remains were incinerated by 27 NHS trusts over the last two years alone, Channel 4’s Dispatches discovered.

The programme, which will air tonight, found that parents who lose children in early pregnancy were often treated without compassion and were not consulted about what they wanted to happen to the remains.

Read the rest of the article here

This just sounds satanic to me. What is wrong with people?

• Like 1

That's kind of F@#$%ed up :cry:. I mean I guess from a purely practical standpoint something has to be done with them, might as well power energy and recycle...

Edited by spartan max2
  • Like 1

That's kind of F@#$%ed up :cry:

Why, would you hold a funeral for 2.1 OZ of human tissue? How about one for an amputated hand? It contains more tissue.

• Like 3

Well, they're not regarded as human beings, are they? They're just superfluous waste products.

Why, would you hold a funeral for 2.1 OZ of human tissue? How about one for an amputated hand? It contains more tissue.

I don't think its fair to compare something that is a human being, (just because it is not fully developed yet doesn't mean it some how is not human anymore. in my book anyways) to an amputated hand.

I never said give it a funeral but life should always be treated as scared and with respect even when at times it would be more practical to do something else.

Edited by spartan max2
  • Like 8

Well, they're not regarded as human beings, are they? They're just superfluous waste products.

Regardless, they should have realized the reaction this would generally get from people. Mind you this was not just abortions but also miscarriages. If its no big deal then why did the DOH call the practice unacceptable and put an immediate ban in place?
  • Like 1

When a women is pregnant there is a developing baby inside here. Do you not count that as human?

Like iv said in other threads im undecided about the legality of abortions but it is most defiantly life inside a pregnant women.

• Like 1

Regardless, they should have realized the reaction this would generally get from people. Mind you this was not just abortions but also miscarriages. If its no big deal then why did the DOH call the practice unacceptable and put an immediate ban in place?

When a women is pregnant there is a developing baby inside here. Do you not count that as human?

Like iv said in other threads im undecided about the legality of abortions but it is most defiantly life inside a pregnant women.

Don't worry, I was being facetious. I try to stay out of the abortion argument, but I do agree with you.

Edited by Colonel Rhubarb
  • Like 1

I don't think its fair to compare something that is a human being, (just because it is not fully developed yet doesn't mean it some how is not human anymore. in my book anyways) to an amputated hand.

I never said give it a funeral but life should always be treated as scared and with respect even when at times it would be more practical to do something else.

Dead (former) life is a health hazard for all and has to be taken care of as soon and as effective as possible. The most effective way is to incinerate it. The traditional way is to bury it. Any of the two have to be used ASAP... and you will either create fertilizer by burying it or you will create heat by burning it.

Edited by questionmark
  • Like 3

Dead (former) life is a health hazard for all and has to be taken care of as soon and as effective as possible. The most effective way is to incinerate it. The traditional way is to bury it. Any of the two have to be used ASAP... and you will either create fertilizer by burying it or you will create heat by burning it.

I think we all understand that, can't you understand how this news is going to be beyond merely offensive to some people, and why they've put a ban in place?

Well that's better than ending up in a jar of preservative in some student's digs. All amputated limbs end up in the furnace which is a proper way of disposal rather than ending up in a dustbin for some stray dog to find.

• Like 1

I think we all understand that, can't you understand how this news is going to be beyond merely offensive to some people, and why they've put a ban in place?

Unless those same people want to pay for the funeral: NO.

• Like 2

Although hospitals should get permission from the parent, I'm not sure what people thought happened to unwanted abortions. One of the possible outcomes for unused IVF embryos is incineration, why is anyone surprised abortions were/are?

Edited by Rlyeh

Unless those same people want to pay for the funeral: NO.

I think they didn't put a ban on incinerating them, just using them to heat the hospitals. You really can't understand how that may be viewed as insensetive huh?

What's Satanic about it?

Oh I don't know, burning human corpses for our own comfort. Strikes me as a little off personally.
  • Like 3

I think they didn't put a ban on incinerating them, just using them to heat the hospitals. You really can't understand how that may be viewed as insensetive huh?

No, I view it as insensitive to let the heat go to waste.

No, I view it as insensitive to let the heat go to waste.

Sure, I guess this way at least those who have been deemed not worth living can still contribute in some way to the good of society. I mean in some other way than being an unwanted burden that is. :tu:

Sure, I guess this way at least those who have been deemed not worth living can still contribute in some way to the good of society. I mean in some other way than being an unwanted burden that is. :tu:

That is your interpretation. At the point we are referring to, regardless of what it might have been an hour earlier, it is dead meat.

And whether it was worth living or not is a discussion that generally is never done, all that is examined is whether it is possible to save that life or whether it is wanted. What happens afterwards is of no relevance to life... because it is dead and nobody seems to have any attachment to the remains.

But I guess it is as usual: The moralists scratch themselves where others itch.

• Like 1

That is your interpretation. At the point we are referring to, regardless of what it might have been an hour earlier, it is dead meat.

And whether it was worth living or not is a discussion that generally is never done, all that is examined is whether it is possible to save that life or whether it is wanted. What happens afterwards is of no relevance to life... because it is dead and nobody seems to have any attachment to the remains.

But I guess it is as usual: The moralists scratch themselves where others itch.

So that's how you explain the ban placed on the practice now? Moralists scratching others itches?

I thought aborted fetuses were the only source of stem-cells ? I wonder if they harvested them before incinerating them ? I would think the fact they have stem cells makes them a person.

I thought aborted fetuses were the only source of stem-cells ? I wonder if they harvested them before incinerating them ? I would think the fact they have stem cells makes them a person.

Wouldn't that make plants and animals a "person" too?

http://www.nature.com/scitable/topicpage/stem-cells-in-plants-and-animals-14164783