Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Search - author's posts (only) within topic?

ChrLzs

Sorry if I've missed it, but is there an easy way to find all posts by an author within a topic?

Yes, I know you can do a search on the author's name within a topic, but that returns every mention of the poster's name, and on a long thread that can be a nightmare to navigate through. I'd really like to be able to look at every post by a particular poster (eg to track consistencies (or otherwise), or to find a quotable quote from someone.

As an entirely random example :) I'd like to see all Turbonium's posts in the 155 page "Did We Land on the Moon" thread. It would be great to be able to extract those posts without all the other mentions of the poster's name..

It can be done at some other forums, and it seems to me a bit strange that the Advanced Search screen allows you to do an author search, but only within the following sections:

Forums

Members

Help Files

Calendar

Blogs

Gallery

.....?

Missing is the one I want - CURRENT TOPIC! If anyone knows the secret or can embarrass me by pointing out the thing I've missed, please do!

And yes, I could probably work out a way to Google them up.. but that sounds like hard work and lots of Open-Link-In-New-Tab annoyance..

I don't think this is supported by the current version of Invision Board, it might be in a future release though.

Brian - have you got a way to get just the posts by that author, and not all the other posts where they are quoted and their name is mentioned?

Plus if you are at Google, you then have to either open a whole pile of tabs or go forward and back a lot of times... In the cases where I want to do this, the poster may have posted hundreds of times in a thread, and been replied to many, many more.. so the logistics make me give up...

I hate to name names, but one good thing ( :)) about Abovetopsecret (where I am no longer an active contributor, by choice) is that it gives a really simple option to show all the posts by a given author in a single thread. It was very handy at times...

I know, I'm asking too much... :D I shall wait on a new version of the forum software..

As an entirely random example :) I'd like to see all Turbonium's posts in the 155 page "Did We Land on the Moon" thread. It would be great to be able to extract those posts without all the other mentions of the poster's name..

Hi ChrLzs. Try the following using the advanced search page:

Search in section: Forums

Find author: turbonium

Find in forum: Conspiracies & Secret Societies

Display results: As posts

Result sorting: Title Ascending

That search should give you a list of all the posts turbonium has made in the Conspiracies section sorted by thread title. You'll have to page down the list until you find the start of the posts titled "[Merged] Did we land on the moon?", but you should then have a full set of all of turbo's posts on that thread.

I'm not quite sure how the search results within a single thread title are arranged. They seem to be roughly chronological, but not quite. It's not perfect, but it's the best I've been able to come up with. I'd be really interested to hear about other options if anyone has a better solution!

• Like 1

Thanks, Pericynthion - that's definitely better than what I had...

Thanks, Pericynthion - that's definitely better than what I had...

You're welcome! Glad it was helpful.