Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

New X Prize offered for TED AI speaker

UM-Bot

The prize is available to anyone who can build an artificial intelligence capable of delivering a talk.

X Prize co-founders Peter Diamandis and Chris Anderson recently announced the prize during their own recent TED talk in which they suggested that the endeavor could help to spur innovation in biological research, education and several other fields "not yet even imagined".

Read More: http://www.unexplain...-ted-ai-speaker

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• WoIverine

• regeneratia

• pallidin

• DieChecker

The more I read the article, the more I was hearing the theme song for "Terminator 2: Judgement Day".

• Like 1

My biggest worry about the next generation of computers is what it will do to human society. We already have so much information at our disposal that I fear we will never again see an Isaac Newton or an Einstein. We are rapidly losing our ability to come up with new ideas. Alvin Toffler predicted something like this in The Third Wave many years ago when he described the coming information age. As ideas reach around the globe in minutes, little by little our cultural differences erode. While many see this as a good thing, the danger is we will cease to evolve congnitively. Ideas will become white washed. As people become more connected they will become more and more isolated. I remember reading it in 1986 and I couldn't even wrap my head around what he was saying then. Computers hadn't even made it into people's homes yet.

Looking at where we are today, add more computing power to the mix and humans have even less incentive to create something new and outside of itself. We are quickly becoming slaves to our own creations and I am fearful for the young of our society.

Edited by Calibeliever

So let me get this straight. The robot/AI will need to give a speech that will get a standing ovation? That would mean being able to show some type of emotion for the subject, wouldn't it. If the AI can have no human interation, will the AI have to research the subject on its own? Sounds like the "Data" issue from ST:TNG. When would the AI become "alive"?

OH! And if you could also add to the robot the ability to lead an technological revolt against humans, that would great! Please and thank you!

I have NO interest in Ted whatsoever. They have been fired as a valid source of information.

I deleted the Ted apps on all devices.

Edited by regeneratia

So let me get this straight. The robot/AI will need to give a speech that will get a standing ovation? That would mean being able to show some type of emotion for the subject, wouldn't it. If the AI can have no human interation, will the AI have to research the subject on its own? Sounds like the "Data" issue from ST:TNG. When would the AI become "alive"?

But real valid researchers don't even get to be ON Ted. Ted is a mental scam.

You know, my wife sometimes say's she doesn't understand a word I'm saying... much less a standing ovation. :w00t:

I hope they allow the audience to select the question for the speech. I'd choose, "How would you take over the internet and then the whole world?"

I hope they allow the audience to select the question for the speech. I'd choose, "How would you take over the internet and then the whole world?"

SKYNET

Edited by WoIverine