Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Girl who shaved head for friend

BiffSplitkins

A 9-year-old Colorado girl who shaved her head in solidarity with a friend with cancer was to be allowed back in school Tuesday, two days after officials told her mother she couldn't attend because her bald head violated the school dress code.

"It felt like the right thing to do," Kamryn Renfro, speaking to 9News.com, said of her decision to support 11-year-old Delaney Clements. The older child has neuroblastoma and has lost her hair from chemotherapy.

READ MORE

They probably should have checked with the school beforehand knowing that its a policy.

• Like 1

So does that mean that a bald teacher cannot teach at this school either? Would they kick out a cancer patient if they lost their hair? What a bunch of ...! That's the stupidest thing I have ever heard coming from a school. Hair is not a dress code! Clothes are!

• Like 8

Armies usually want men to shave heads, this originates from realising the practise would prevent lices, I think it was first realised in 19th century. But I heard some US military division revised this because native american scouts were supposed to have better performance in their duty when they were allowed to keep their long hair.

It should definetely be up to individual imo, but I dont understand the dress codes anyhow. Feels like a soviet "one size for all" thing.

And though we're talking about children, I just want to say as a man, that bald girls can be beautiful, and are some. Bald just fits better for some whether you're a male or female.

Edited by Mikko-kun

Well..technically hair IS part of the dress code because it can be styled and colored in very wild ways so therefore, barring age or illness, the school can, will and should impose some general restrictions on it.

These sorts of restrictions will be encountered wherever you go, especially in the working world and while I can appreciate the girl wanting to show support for her friend, her parents really should have thought this through. The child shouldn't be kicked out though.

• Like 1

Hair is not a dress code! Clothes are!

The reason for those rules is about distractions and potential problems for all, which can involve clothes, hair, tattoos, piercings, etc.

I think you know that a naturally bald man makes less potential schoolyard problems than a young girl who shaved her head, and that cancer patients would not be treated the same way.

Kids are immature and so harsh to each other at school. Schools just try to give them less reason to exercise this. Give them a break; they're not trying to hurt anyone, but the opposite.

Yet another bone headed administrator who acts before they think.

Edited by OverSword
  • Like 3

There is a need for a dress code but I don't see how this matters, its not like she is going to be joining a gang and wearing gang colors. However before you decide to do something like this you should consult the dress code.

I think it was nice of her to want to support her friend.

people do get jealous of others who did a good deed

in this case the person doing a good deed is getting punished by school officials who claims the shaven head has violated the schools dress code

• Like 1

There is a need for a dress code but I don't see how this matters, its not like she is going to be joining a gang and wearing gang colors.

Did you ever have a girl that shaved her head and wore spikes for attention? The one who was always getting teased and getting into fights? She wasn't in a 'gang'; just looking for attention, and unfortunately, she always got it.

Complete and utter nonsense (to the max no less).

Agreed, how the hell do these people even get these jobs? Did all of the useful people move on to better things? I remember having an AP who was fond of saying "This is a school, your here for an education, not to socialize." I happily pointed out several studies showing just how much socialization was important to a developing brain, which it turns out is about a million times more important than knowing the starting date of the French Revolution.

I'm pretty sure my words fell on deaf ears.

• Like 1

My mom has cancer again and will start losing her hair when they start the chemo again. I think this little girl is very informed and did what she thought was right. The school should have looked into why she shaved her head before suspending her. If a guy shaved his head, who would care? Very ignorant of the school and very brave of that little girl.

• Like 3

But how does bald hair prevent socializing? I get it it can be a taunt for potential bullies but so? We had a long-haired boy in our elementary, he wasn't bullied but had friends instead, unlike this otherwise regular guy who had the kind of personality that made him a more likely target, he still was and is a very decent guy and my oldest & most trustworthy & keep-it-real friend. And you can still have friends even if you're bullied, and there's something wrong with you if you bully for stuff like hair instead of personality, because it's easier to not like someone's personality or how they bring it out than just hair or clothes.

And why it's more acceptable for guys to have long hair than girls to shave bald? I know the answer but why really? It's like being interested in the same sex if you lived in Russia for us, stay in closet or be on your toes. Is that what we really want?

• Like 1

I remember having an AP who was fond of saying "This is a school, your here for an education, not to socialize."

In most ways I agree with the statement. When you are in school/college, you aren't there to party..you are there for a particular reason just as you are at work for a particular reason as well.

When I was in high school, some stupid teacher was whining because I wasn't talking to the other kids when in class except for when a project demanded it. My counselor asked why and I told her pretty much the same thing. I said I was not there to make friends, I was there because I had to be.

Anyway if the parents knew, and I assume they knew, the schools stance on the dress codes including hair styles then they should have instead had her do something more useful and constructive like maybe giving a report to her classmates detailing just what cancer does to the body and what chemo does as well and how teasing and tormenting those in pain is not conducive to anything because it could easily be one of them.

Maybe even have the other girl, who is afflicted with cancer, detailing to the class what a typical day is like for her and how having her hair fall out and her body weakened does to her.

and there's something wrong with you if you bully for stuff like hair instead of personality, because it's easier to not like someone's personality or how they bring it out than just hair or clothes.

There is something wrong with you if you bully anyone for any reason. Period.

Edited by Ryu

In most ways I agree with the statement. When you are in school/college, you aren't there to party..you are there for a particular reason just as you are at work for a particular reason as well.

Oh I certainly agree in the classroom setting, but this was during the mid-morning and lunch breaks, with a megaphone, at point blank range. I see I failed to mention that.

idiotic American laws

• Like 3

idiotic American laws

I've tried to explain twice why this rule was put in place. Do you not understand, or disagree with the reasoning? If the latter, I'd be curious to see how. It's too often people say something is 'idiotic' when they really don't understand reasoning behind it. Schools deal with these type of situations on a regular basis. The 'stupid American [insert thing here]' comment is misplaced here, in my opinion.

Edited by _Only

How is having a shaved head related to a dress code at all? I can understand them not wanting someone walking around with 2 feet long jelled/glued up spikes(a few kids at my high school did that) but to try and punish someone for a shaved head is just silly.

I wonder how many kids would have done that themselves just to avoid class if they knew they could get away with it lol.

I've tried to explain twice why this rule was put in place. Do you not understand, or disagree with the reasoning? If the latter, I'd be curious to see how. It's too often people say something is 'idiotic' when they really don't understand reasoning behind it. Schools deal with these type of situations on a regular basis. The 'stupid American [insert thing here]' comment is misplaced here, in my opinion.

No I agree with SolarPlexus, it's a stupid law. It's probably related to the knee-jerk no tolerance laws we have around nowadays. To try and claim a mildly-odd hairstyle(or lack thereof) should be punished because other kids might tease that person is like saying kids shouldn't be allowed to wear velcro shoes because they might be teased for not knowing how to tie laces, or they shouldn't be allowed to bring old/knockoff/high quality brand backpacks to school because they might be teased by/tease others over how poor they are.

Edited by Wickian

But how does bald hair prevent socializing?

It doesn't. Some people still have the view that if you shave your head that you must be a racist 'skinhead' and love Hitler... even if you are only 9 years old.

It doesn't. Some people still have the view that if you shave your head that you must be a racist 'skinhead' and love Hitler... even if you are only 9 years old.

Oh of course, 9 year old girls who love Barbie and My Little Pony would most certainly read 'Mein Kampf' and go 'skinhead'.

Good grief...the people running that school district are absolute/utter morons.

• Like 4

idiotic American laws

Ummm...it's not a law. It is a dress code rule of an individual school. One of which schools all over the world have.

I do think this is a special circumstance that should have been taken into consideration.