Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Danish zoo kills healthy family of lions

seeder

OK this zoo has made it to the news before, I understand the need for keeping healthy breeding stock, but surely we can send Lions like this to 'sanctuaries' or something instead of just killing them? Fair enough the story implies they tried to re-home them, but maybe could have tried harder?

Outrage as Danish zoo kills healthy family of lions

A zoo in Denmark that provoked outrage after putting down a healthy giraffe has killed a family of four lions to make way for a new young male lion.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-26745179

• Like 2

Surely this zoo must be poorly managed. They are just asking for a boycott.

• Like 1

Who is managing this zoo to begin with? I find it odd that there doesn't seem to be any organizations overseeing this zoo.

Did any other zoo's offer to take in the lions like they did for the giraffe?

• Like 1

think about the cubs.... THINK ABOUT THE CUBSSSSSS

• Like 2

Okay, the giraffe was weird. This is just wrong. Are these people even trying to run a functioning zoo?

• Like 2

Okay, the giraffe was weird. This is just wrong. Are these people even trying to run a functioning zoo?

Apparently not. Seems that their focus is on breeding only the "best" or whatever and appear to view the animals merely as a commodity to be bought, sold and, when they have outgrown their use, killed off.

Sad and disturbing.

• Like 3

There is something seriously wrong with the way this zoo is being managed - why were the cubs who are not old enough to fend for themselves yet allowed to be born? The decision to euthanize would never have to have been made if they had thought ahead. The young lion that is displacing the family, including cubs that was killed is 2 years old - bringing in a young lion would have been a long term planning process. So how could young cubs be in the mix when they knew they were going to do this?

The callousness is just mind-blowing.

Edited by libstaK
  • Like 3

I would like to ask the zoo managers how killing off healthy lions, including cubs, so they can introduce a new male any different from what happens in the wild where the new male usually kills off all the cubs (and maybe even some of the females) anyways?

I am sure there were other zoos and preserves that would have taken them in just as there were zoo's willing to take that one giraffe too.

Makes me wonder what is being done in other zoos then. Are animals in other zoos being treated as cheap and expendable merchandise as well? I shudder to think.

I would like to ask the zoo managers how killing off healthy lions, including cubs, so they can introduce a new male any different from what happens in the wild where the new male usually kills off all the cubs (and maybe even some of the females) anyways?

I am sure there were other zoos and preserves that would have taken them in just as there were zoo's willing to take that one giraffe too.

Makes me wonder what is being done in other zoos then. Are animals in other zoos being treated as cheap and expendable merchandise as well? I shudder to think.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-26356099

Not that rare but no one knows the actual figures as some Zoos dont record them

I have a feeling this zoo is bankrupt, cant afford to feed 4 lions :(

And yet they went and purchased a young breeding male - just the transport costs alone would have fed the other four for at least a year.