Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Life after death anyone?

Patient Zero

i got to thinking the other day (you probably smelled the smoke) about what happens after we die.

i broke it down to two schools of thought.

My self diagnosed ADD prevented me from giving it serious, in depth thought as it got burried under a hundred other non related thoughts.

The first is, well, nothing. Everything goes black and the world continues on without you.

The second was that we do move on and reunite with our loved ones. But then what?

Is it like a family reunion where after catching up on old times you wanna just get the hell out of there?

i can't imagine all one does is stand around for eternity.

So what is there to do after hugging Elvis, having a drink or five with Dean Martin and making jokes regarding the whereabouts of Hitler?

Give me your idea's would you kindly?

• Like 1

I don't know if an afterlife exist or not but you seem to have a very limited imagination when it comes to it.

If a afterlife exist then anything is possible, so you wouldn't be bored lol

• Like 1

cannot remember which faith, but if you die and ended up in heaven or paradise, you will be surrounded by beautiful lusty women... or was that just a dream!!

i can't imagine all one does is stand around for eternity.

This I think is called becoming harp-weary. I would think if there is some kind of existence after our death it would be completely different than our life on earth, but none of us knows, of course, it's all speculation on our part. In eternity perhaps time has no meaning, so it wouldn't be boring, and we could play our harps forever and keep on enjoying it.

About a week after my mother died I was getting gas at a gas station not even thinking about her, and suddenly this immense feeling of warmth and love filled my body. It was so powerful I had to lean against my car for support. I knew it was my mother's love saying goodbye to me. This may have been psychological in origin, but it was so strong and so unique a feeling, one that I had never felt before, it makes me wonder (I'm not a religious person).

The nature of the physical universe is also a total mystery to us. We can explain its behavior, but not what's behaving or why it should exist at all. If the physical universe is all there is, where is the explanation for its existence? This cannot be imbedded in the universe itself if the universe just is.

I think there's more to the story, just my opinion, and what this 'more' is of course I don't know, none of us knows. At my age I'll find out pretty soon.

Edited by StarMountainKid
  • Like 4

I don't know if an afterlife exist or not but you seem to have a very limited imagination when it comes to it.

As i mentioned, the sdADD tends to obliterate my thought process before i can get deeply involved.

Maybe it's better that way sometimes...

cannot remember which faith, but if you die and ended up in heaven or paradise, you will be surrounded by beautiful lusty women... or was that just a dream!!

Ooh, ooh. i'll take that afterlife please!

About a week after my mother died I was getting gas at a gas station not even thinking about her, and suddenly this immense feeling of warmth and love filled my body. It was so powerful I had to lean against my car for support. I knew it was my mother's love saying goodbye to me. This may have been psychological in origin, but it was so strong and so unique a feeling, one that I had never felt before, it makes me wonder (I'm not a religious person).

Gasoline fumes can take you for a helluva ride.

Just kiddin' with ya'.

i actually know where your coming from because i too had one of those mom i know it's you moments.

Only happend once a few years back but it was unique, you're right about that.

I think there's more to the story, just my opinion, and what this 'more' is of course I don't know, none of us knows. At my age I'll find out pretty soon.

We all will find out, that's just plain unavoidable.

But, until that day comes, live it up my friend!

• Like 1

I've studied religion and the topic of death and dying for over 5 years now. I've taken my fair share of college courses on the nature of death and the after life.

What I can tell you is this:

I think I can safely rule out that the theory of consciousness ending upon physical death. I believe that there is a universal consciousness akin to "god" as we know it and we can choose to go back to it.

We can also maintain our individuality. For example, my grandfather passed away a few months ago and he appeared in my dream with a message to give to my father. He looked as I remembered him best but then as the dream presses onwards he looked how he did in his prime. I do believe if we strongly want to stick around we can. I knows grandfather will be watching over us all and waiting for my grandmother to pass over when her time comes.

I've also dreamt of the afterlife. I met a young woman who I believe to be my spirit guide. We traveled under a large white tree and when came to a beautiful place in the woods with many other souls. It was like a big party. I strongly believe this was a real experience.

As far as ghosts go I do believe our consciousness/soul can be damaged and we get stuck in a loop until we can successfully cross over.

From their I believe we can choose to reincarnate if we feel there is more about this world we want to learn.

Our consciousness is all connected to each other and I feel that there are many possibilities and we may even have our own individual heavens.

Hope that helped!

• Like 1

We dunno what happens at death. A few have come back with a variety of stories, but they aren't credible since they were all very sick at the time.

Does life give us any clues? We seem to be purpose driven, but that could have other explanations. If we do have a purpose then life after death seems likely since few of us achieve much in one lifetime.

I have had a few profound deja vue experiences, leading me to think I had at least one rather miserable previous life, but it's hard to be sure, and this is a personal experience and therefore not acceptable as evidence to others except as testimony, which makes poor science.

All in all, I suspect mind is like other aspects of this universe and is "preserved" (neither created nor destroyed) but that doesn't mean it can't be changed, and such change could be loss of memory, which might as well be destruction.

i got to thinking the other day (you probably smelled the smoke) about what happens after we die.

There was a suspicious erasure of the after life, when the new world religions appeared.

For thousands of years we believed in the afterlife - far longer than we have been christians etc...

More than anyone, royalty took steps to ensure a 'luxurious' afterlife.

This indicates to us, the clinging onto material objects.

I know in my heart , with the support of the stars, life is about stages and development.

I know as clear as day, i must strive to action goodness, if i want to get through

to the next stage and so on...

I do not need contradictions, therefore i have seperated from the state and established

conventions.

I have faith in the cosmos - my home. There we are all equal - no class.

Fluxed & Frank, thank you both for your contributions.

i like the way you two think!

Nobody know what happens when we die. its all hear say lol unit we die our selfs. There could be a place where good souls and bad souls go.or we could go in to the void.

Nobody know what happens when we die. its all hear say lol unit we die our selfs. There could be a place where good souls and bad souls go.or we could go in to the void.

You pretty much repeated my first post sans the details, ya' silly goose. :)

i was thinking about how when i die there will be people still here to remember me though no one will carry on the name as i have no children.

Fast forward 50 years (after death) and everyone i know and whoever's known me will be dead.

The only remaining traces of me would be old dusty files found in city/state and federal file cabinets which will probably be located in a damp, musty basement with poor ventilation.

A bit bleak but m'eh, what can you do?

There are a few things where I function with the working assumption that they are true, even though no convincing evidence exists. One is the falsehood of solipsism. Another is the reality and unity of the world. Another is that things we sometimes call value judgments are in fact realities -- like justice and beauty and goodness. Another is that I have at least a little conscious willful control over my actions.

The reason is simple; without making these assumptions the world is just too bleak for me to handle.

• Like 2

We dunno what happens at death. A few have come back with a variety of stories, but they aren't credible since they were all very sick at the time.

Does life give us any clues? We seem to be purpose driven, but that could have other explanations. If we do have a purpose then life after death seems likely since few of us achieve much in one lifetime.

I have had a few profound deja vue experiences, leading me to think I had at least one rather miserable previous life, but it's hard to be sure, and this is a personal experience and therefore not acceptable as evidence to others except as testimony, which makes poor science.

All in all, I suspect mind is like other aspects of this universe and is "preserved" (neither created nor destroyed) but that doesn't mean it can't be changed, and such change could be loss of memory, which might as well be destruction.

The stories that stand out to me are the ones where there was some type of terrible accident. Many of those people reported having a out of body experiance, before going on to some other place. Whats really crazy is many know details of what was going on, saying they saw it happen. Now thats not 100% solid proof, but it is very interesting.

There are a few things where I function with the working assumption that they are true, even though no convincing evidence exists. One is the falsehood of solipsism. Another is the reality and unity of the world. Another is that things we sometimes call value judgments are in fact realities -- like justice and beauty and goodness. Another is that I have at least a little conscious willful control over my actions.

The reason is simple; without making these assumptions the world is just too bleak for me to handle.

I would say the external world exists, but its true objective nature is transformed by the human mind into what we experience as consciousness. Our conscious experience is a construct of the mind.

Justice and beauty and goodness, etc. are concepts that exist only within the mind and do not exist externally in the objective world (which we can never experience due to the limitations of our perception).

In this sense I would say that our experience of life after death, however we may imagine it, must still exist within the mind, within our own consciousness. Only if our own personal consciousness survives our physical death can there be some kind of 'life' after death. Whatever we may experience in this heavenly realm would still exist only within our own mind and consciousness. It would still be a construct of the mind, which would now be separated from the physical brain.

So, I think as consciousness creates its own internal model of the external world while alive, existence after death would also only be a model created by our disembodied consciousness. One could say the purpose of the physical world is to allow for the evolution of the human mind so that it can be conscious of its own model of this physical world. Whether this evolved mind and resultant consciousness continues after physical death, alone and by itself with only its own memories of its physical life, or within some universal consciousness is an open question, in my view.

• Like 1

I think the Universe recycles and you return to give it another try to get it right.

MisterSuperGod- for a good description of Heaven from the Christian point of view, I recommend the book "Heaven" by Randy Alcorn. One caveat: it's not written for people with ADD (such as myself). I found I had to slog through many passages. However, the book was a life-changer for me, and offered a perspective on Heaven that made me a better person.

You pretty much repeated my first post sans the details, ya' silly goose. :)

i was thinking about how when i die there will be people still here to remember me though no one will carry on the name as i have no children.

Fast forward 50 years (after death) and everyone i know and whoever's known me will be dead.

The only remaining traces of me would be old dusty files found in city/state and federal file cabinets which will probably be located in a damp, musty basement with poor ventilation.

I did not know I repeated your post I did not read any of them sorry

A bit bleak but m'eh, what can you do?

Sorry I did not i repeated what u said I did not read any posts

Edited by coolguy

Sorry I did not i repeated what u said I did not read any posts

Well... i'm gonna' let it slide this time, but i got my eye on you buddy! :)

Well go forward 5000 years and maybe Shakespeare will still be remembered in a few University back-rooms, but that will be it. At some point even the earth will vanish. If you want immortality you had best not depend on being remembered,

Well go forward 5000 years and maybe Shakespeare will still be remembered in a few University back-rooms, but that will be it. At some point even the earth will vanish. If you want immortality you had best not depend on being remembered,

Good point Sir. *Thumbs up*