Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Measles Outbreak, over 200 confirmed cases

Thanato

Widespread use of the measles vaccine has dramatically reduced the numbers of cases in Canada over the past 45 years. But the recent outbreak in British Columbia is underscoring how the highly contagious virus can very effectively seek out groups of unprotected children.

More than 200 cases of measles have been confirmed in the Fraser Valley, an outbreak health officials have linked to a region east of Vancouver where immunization rates are low in certain school and religious groups.

"It’s in those pockets of unimmunized or under-immunized kids where measles can, because it's such an infectious disease …. get into those populations," says Dr. John Spika, director general of the centre for immunization and respiratory infectious diseases at the Public Health Agency of Canada.

The B.C. case appears to be linked to a similar community in the Netherlands that is also not vaccinated, he says.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/health/b-c-measles-outbreak-reveals-vulnerability-of-unvaccinated-children-1.2585457

So basically because people chose not to vaccinate their kids they put them at risk of death due to the Measles.

Vaccinate your kids.

• Like 1

What's next....Whooping Cough.

• Like 1

This is why the anti-vaccine crowd is horrible =(

• Like 1

To be fair though (not supporting eitherside in this argument), this isn't really a massive pandemic as they are trying to make it sound like (coming from someone who lives in the area this is taking place in).

Edited by Bavarian Raven
  • Like 1

Whats so horrible about getting measles? I mean yeah im sure it sucks, but just as many will die or be harmed by vaccines pound for pound.

Whats so horrible about getting measles? I mean yeah im sure it sucks, but just as many will die or be harmed by vaccines pound for pound.

From: Measles: a dangerous illness, by Roald Dahl (source)

“Are you feeling all right?” I asked her.

“I feel all sleepy, ” she said.

In an hour, she was unconscious. In twelve hours she was dead.

The measles had turned into a terrible thing called measles encephalitis and there was nothing the doctors could do to save her.

That was twenty-four years ago in 1962, but even now, if a child with measles happens to develop the same deadly reaction from measles as Olivia did, there would still be nothing the doctors could do to help her.

So what about the risks that your children will run from being immunised?

They are almost non-existent. Listen to this. In a district of around 300,000 people, there will be only one child every 250 years who will develop serious side effects from measles immunisation! That is about a million to one chance. I should think there would be more chance of your child choking to death on a chocolate bar than of becoming seriously ill from a measles immunization.

Edited by BiffSplitkins
  • Like 1

Here in America we have a vaccine called MMR (Mumps, Measles, Rubella).

Before you can even ask what the side effects of Mumps and Rubella are, here you go.

(source) - Mumps only have long term effects which include deafness and it can develop from infection harming the nerves of the inner ear. Meningoencephalitis is also another effect and it can lead to perpetual paralysis, seizures, cranial nerve paralysis and hydrocephalus. Mumps is a contagious virus that can be avoided by vaccination.

(source) - Rubella, also known as German measles or three-day measles,[1] is a disease caused by the rubella virus. The name "rubella" was derived from Latin, meaning little red. Rubella is also known as German measles because the disease was first described by German physicians in the mid-eighteenth century. This disease is often mild and attacks often pass unnoticed. The disease can last one to three days. Children recover more quickly than adults. Infection of the mother by rubella virus during pregnancy can be serious; if the mother is infected within the first 20 weeks of pregnancy, the child may be born with congenital rubella syndrome (CRS), which entails a range of serious incurable illnesses. Miscarriage occurs in up to 20% of cases.[2]

• Like 3

To be fair though (not supporting eitherside in this argument), this isn't really a massive pandemic as they are trying to make it sound like (coming from someone who lives in the area this is taking place in).

Well in all fairness, with the rarity of outbreaks today (at least in Western countries), just about anything is an "epidemic".

Edit: You know what, scratch that "fairness" bit in the beginning. Its really just a lack of perspective.

Edited by DecoNoir

What's next....Whooping Cough.

My two older sisters took the whole vaccine for that but I was not able to. I was and probably still allergic to the vaccine. My kid(s) might be the same way. :/

I hope they get this under control.

Not something you could demonstrate as been statistically true. On a per capita basis what is the percentage of people who die from having a vaccine compared to the number who die from measles ? Comparing the proportion of people who contracted measles and subsequently died to the proportion who died from taking the MMR is the appropriate metric - not the absolute numbers. The chance of dying from the vaccine is vanishingly small - the same cannot be said of the disease.

What the data demonstrates is that the vaccines have been amazingly effective at preventing death's and avoiding suffering.

Br Cornelius

Edited by Guest

Thats just cause they refuse to admit vaccines kill people in many cases. A kid dies 24 to 36 hours after a vaccine, and they just call it SIDs, or whatever they want to make up to avoid liability.

Thats just cause they refuse to admit vaccines kill people in many cases. A kid dies 24 to 36 hours after a vaccine, and they just call it SIDs, or whatever they want to make up to avoid liability.

A kid dies from polio but at least he didn't get Autism!

• Like 3

Citation needed.

BTW, you do know that the vast majority of SIDS deaths occur between 0-5 months and the MMR vaccine isn't even given until 12 months.

Edited by Rafterman
  • Like 2

Citation needed.

BTW, you do know that the vast majority of SIDS deaths occur between 0-5 months and the MMR vaccine isn't even given until 12 months.

Well this conversation is just to predictable to continue. Your are not going to trust my sources, Im not going to trust your sources. And around and around we will go, till someone takes it personal, ect ect ect. Im just gonna agree to disagree Rafterman

• Like 1

Try ?

Give us some credible peer reviewed sources to back up your claim. Anecdotal evidence need not apply.

The death rate for measles in developed countries is 0.3% of those who contract it. Before vaccinations about 95% of people contracted measles at some point in their lives. This vastly under represents the range of serious complications up to and including blindness, deafness and brain damage.

Postinfectious encephalomyelitis (PIE) occurs in 13 per 1000 infected persons, usually 3–10 days after onset of rash [39, 131]. Higher rates of PIE due to measles occur in adolescents and adults than in school-aged children (table 2 [124, 132, 133]). PIE usually begins with the abrupt onset of new fever, seizures, altered mental status, and multifocal neurological signs [131, 134]. Although measles virus was found in cerebrovascular endothelial cells in a person who died during the first few days of rash [135], the virus usually is not found in the central nervous systems of persons with PIE. PIE appears to be caused by an abnormal immune response that affects myelin basic protein [61, 136]. As many as 25% of people with PIE due to measles die, and ∼33% of survivors have lifelong neurological sequelae, including severe retardation, motor impairment, blindness, and sometimes hemiparesis [39, 131].

http://jid.oxfordjou...ement_1/S4.long

These are just the type of brain damage which could lead to autism like symptoms.

Br Cornelius

Edited by Guest

Well this conversation is just to predictable to continue. Your are not going to trust my sources, Im not going to trust your sources. And around and around we will go, till someone takes it personal, ect ect ect. Im just gonna agree to disagree Rafterman

Well you need to actually present a source for me to disagree with it.

As for disagreeing with me, what do you disagree with - that the vast majority of SIDS deaths occur between 0-5 months or that the recommended vaccine schedule for MMR is 12-15 months?

Edited by Rafterman
  • Like 1

What's so horrible about measles? How about that it killed about 130,000 people around the world in 2010. How about that it killed about 630,000 people around the world in 1990? (source http://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736%2812%2961728-0/fulltext)

In 2010, there were 52·8 million deaths globally. At the most aggregate level, communicable, maternal, neonatal, and nutritional causes were 24·9% of deaths worldwide in 2010, down from 15·9 million (34·1%) of 46·5 million in 1990. This decrease was largely due to decreases in mortality from diarrhoeal disease (from 2·5 to 1·4 million), lower respiratory infections (from 3·4 to 2·8 million), neonatal disorders (from 3·1 to 2·2 million), measles (from 0·63 to 0·13 million), and tetanus (from 0·27 to 0·06 million).

Are you seriously going to say that more than 130,000 people died in 2010 from vaccinations?

• Like 2

Well you need to actually present a source for me to disagree with it.

As for disagreeing with me, what do you disagree with - that the vast majority of SIDS deaths occur between 0-5 months or that the recommended vaccine schedule for MMR is 12-15 months?

Well I was in the process when I decided, being we have had similar conversations at least a few dozen times already that there was little point. Again neither of us are gonna hear each other. True or false?

What's so horrible about measles? How about that it killed about 130,000 people around the world in 2010. How about that it killed about 630,000 people around the world in 1990? (source http://www.thelancet...1728-0/fulltext)

Are you seriously going to say that more than 130,000 people died in 2010 from vaccinations?

Around the world hu? You mean in places where infant mortality rate is already horrendous cause people dont even have clean drinking water? Yea thats a fair stat. My goodness

These are just the type of brain damage which could lead to autism like symptoms.

Br Cornelius

THATS funny. A vaccine supporter, who doesnt even have a problem with using mercury in them, telling me about autism like symptoms from the measles.

THATS funny. A vaccine supporter, who doesnt even have a problem with using mercury in them, telling me about autism like symptoms from the measles.

Nothing funny about it, and no one has established a statistically robust connection between the Mercury based preservative used in some vaccines and Autism.

What I was pointing out was that Measles could and probably does cause brain damage which produces symptoms which could be called autism.

As I said, if there is a strong case to answer for autism been caused by vaccines - propose the mechanism and conduct a study to prove it. Last I heard Dr Mr Wakefield lost his license to practice medicine when he failed to support his claims with credible evidence.

Br Cornelius

Edited by Guest

I asked:

What's so horrible about measles? How about that it killed about 130,000 people around the world in 2010. How about that it killed about 630,000 people around the world in 1990? (source http://www.thelancet...1728-0/fulltext)

Preacherman76 said:

Around the world hu? You mean in places where infant mortality rate is already horrendous cause people dont even have clean drinking water? Yea thats a fair stat. My goodness

So you're sure that there's a correlation between people dying from measles and a lack of clean drinking water?

And so you think that measles deaths dropped from 630,000 in 1990 to 130,000 in 2010 solely because of improvements in access to clean drinking water?