Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

New dwarf planet hints at giant distant world

Waspie_Dwarf

New Object Offers Hint of "Planet X"

The discovery of 2012 VP113, a sizable object roughly twice Pluto's distance from the Sun, has dynamicists wondering whether a super-Earth-size perturber lies undiscovered even farther out.

This week's issue of Nature features an interesting announcement by Chadwick Trujillo (Gemini Observatory) and Scott Sheppard (Carnegie Institution for Science). These two observers have found an object orbiting the Sun, designated 2012 VP113, that they first spotted 17 months ago with the 4-m Blanco Telescope on Cerro Tololo in Chile and then followed up last year with the 6.5-m Magellan-Baade reflector at nearby Las Campanas Observatory.

arrow3.gifRead more...

• Like 2

wow amazing stuff. So much Space!!

Astronomers have discovered a new dwarf planet in our own solar system and it might not be alone.

Known as 2012 VP113, the new dwarf planet is thought to be 450km wide and exists in a distant orbit twice as far from the Sun as Pluto. It is the second such body ( the other being Sedna ) to be found within this cold and desolate region of our solar system.

Read More: http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/news/264326/new-dwarf-planet-hints-at-giant-distant-world

There has been a lot of speculation that a large planet resides in the Oort cloud but just as many astronomers say deny it. You can't use a Kepler like scope because this planet would never pas between its star, the sun, and us from our perspective.

Edited by Merc14
  • Like 2

Pretty sure the WISE survey ruled out a large planet. Though they may have just ruled out a large gas giant. I would have to check on that to be sure...

• Like 1

Pretty sure the WISE survey ruled out a large planet. Though they may have just ruled out a large gas giant. I would have to check on that to be sure...

I read that as well a week or so ago. Something is going on out there but was this paper after or before that announcement. So damn busy right now I don't have the time to dig around..

• Like 1

I read that as well a week or so ago. Something is going on out there but was this paper after or before that announcement. So damn busy right now I don't have the time to dig around..

I'm on my phone so it's too much of a hassle to post links, but pretty sure it was no gas giant.

Edited by Imaginarynumber1
  • Like 1

I'm on my phone so it's too much of a hassle to post links, but pretty sure it was no gas giant.

:tsu: Two cripples. I am home now and done working so let I'll take a look and report back

WISE survey was March 7th http://www.nasa.gov/...x/#.UzTbfIWKXKs

New Scientist article was published March 26th http://www.newscient...ml#.UzTbsIWKXKt

So they crossed paths and in both studies they admit that given the circumstances they can't be sure of what is going on. No new planet seems to be the way to go but.... I guess we have to wait as that is a tough place to "explore". I'm just amazed about how much we are learning about that region of our solar system. Great stuff.

I guess the decision to exclude Pluto from the list of Sol planets was the right one. My son will be disappointed as he is a big Pluto proponent. "It has three moons Dad!"

Edited by Merc14
  • Like 2

:tsu: Two cripples. I am home now and done working so let I'll take a look and report back

WISE survey was March 7th http://www.nasa.gov/...x/#.UzTbfIWKXKs

New Scientist article was published March 26th http://www.newscient...ml#.UzTbsIWKXKt

So they crossed paths and in both studies they admit that given the circumstances they can't be sure of what is going on. No new planet seems to be the way to go but.... I guess we have to wait as that is a tough place to "explore". I'm just amazed about how much we are learning about that region of our solar system. Great stuff.

I guess the decision to exclude Pluto from the list of Sol planets was the right one. My son will be disappointed as he is a big Pluto proponent. "It has three moons Dad!"

Good find!

I'm all right with Pluto being left out. It now has this new guy floating a round and is keeping company with Ceres, Makemake, Huamue, Eris, Sedna... Sooo many more to come, I'm sure.

Oh, and let your son know that Pluto has 4 moons now! Charon, Nix, Hyrda and Kerberos. Also, the New Horizions probe will be there next year! I cannot wait.

:su

• Like 2

Good find!

I'm all right with Pluto being left out. It now has this new guy floating a round and is keeping company with Ceres, Makemake, Huamue, Eris, Sedna... Sooo many more to come, I'm sure.

Oh, and let your son know that Pluto has 4 moons now! Charon, Nix, Hyrda and Kerberos. Also, the New Horizions probe will be there next year! I cannot wait.

:su

He is on pins and needles about New Horizons. He is only eight but very bright and they "demoted" Pluto is his little lifetime and it is taken as some kind of affront. I'm just glad he is into this stuff, so much, that he could take Pluto's demotion as an affront. :tu: I will pass on the info, however, so thanks, I need all the help I can get to keep up with him.

Edited by Merc14
  • Like 1

Can this be planet hoth with a rebel base on it.very cool find.

In a few years they will say its a moon not a planet lol.

• Like 1

Can this be planet hoth with a rebel base on it.very cool find.

In a few years they will say its a moon not a planet lol.

Two whole lines coolguy! It's a first brother!

• Like 5

When I read those reports I was quite puzzled. It indicated that Sedna and this new object are moving toward the solar system at about the same angle, whatever that means (I assume toward the ecliptic but they didn't say) and this somehow implies the existence of a much larger object. However, I have also heard of surveys that have ruled out such a thing.

Oh dear. Whatever will they announce tomorrow? Dwarf planets with asteroid rings perhaps?

Oh dear. Whatever will they announce tomorrow? Dwarf planets with asteroid rings perhaps?

Funny you should say that, one of the things New Horizons will be looking for when it arrives at Pluto in July 2015 is rings.

• Like 1

hmmm... well :whistle:

http://www.planetary.org/blogs/guest-blogs/2014/0326-a-centaurs-shadow-reveals.html

''a team of astronomers announced that they discovered a set of planet-like rings around Chariklo, an asteroid-like body that currently resides in the unstable region between the orbits of Saturn and Uranus.''

It fascinates me, just seeing how much there is to learn in this world and in the greater universe. It's really humbling. I can't wait to see the first clear images of Pluto in 2015! Distant Pluto...it's hard to even fathom these distances. Just mind-boggling.