Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Idea about Punt civilisation

Chaldera

Hi everyone. Just a little idea I had about the Punt civilisation...

http://www.en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Land_of_Punt

Judging by the fact that the only evidence we have of their existence is through Egyptian artifacts and a potential identification as the land of Put in the Bible, is it possible that they were merely made up by the Egyptians as a sort of story to show off Egypt's success or as some sort of mythical civilisation which was later incorporated into the Bible by its writers as either some sort of allegory or else as a false belief?

I'll admit, I'm by no means an expert, and expect to be proven wrong. I just wish to learn more

http://www.en.wikipe...ki/Land_of_Punt

Judging by the fact that the only evidence we have of their existence is through Egyptian artifacts and a potential identification as the land of Put in the Bible, is it possible that they were merely made up by the Egyptians as a sort of story to show off Egypt's success or as some sort of mythical civilisation which was later incorporated into the Bible by its writers as either some sort of allegory or else as a false belief?

I'll admit, I'm by no means an expert, and expect to be proven wrong. I just wish to learn more

That's not entirely true since amongst items that were brought back from the Land of Punt by the Egyptians were baboons, which have been traced genetically as having originated in the area of Eritrea and Ethiopia. This means that there is more to the identification of the Land of Punt than mere allegory or false belief.

Baboon mummy analysis reveals Eritrea and Ethiopia as location of Land of Punt

cormac

• Like 1

it sounds a little too circumstantial to definitively locate Punt.

ancient Rome for instance had all kinds of wildlife brought in from Africa. so i would not assume that Punt is necessarily located where they sourced their baboons.

Very interesting link, cormac. D'anka

You're welcome.

cormac

Thank you for replying aha. I admire your resourcefulness in finding that article, although I do wonder what drove the Egyptians to import these baboons

Punt = Atlantis. Heck, why not? :P

Punt = Atlantis. Heck, why not? :P

No, Punt = offensive failure.

Stargate = Atlantis.

Harte

• 2 months later...

http://www.en.wikipe...ki/Land_of_Punt

Puntland is still shown on maps of Africa. It's in the actual Horn of Africa.

So I don't think it was an Egyptian invention.

Puntland is still shown on maps of Africa. It's in the actual Horn of Africa.

So I don't think it was an Egyptian invention.

The name "Puntland"originated in the 1990s only because The Autonomous Puntland State of Somalia came to existence only then.

Naturally, they have named the state after the land of punt, which archaeologists/ historians etc beleive is located some place along the east coast of africa, the most probable being the somalian coast.

• Like 1

Punt is likely just ancient Egyptian shorthand/slang for another major trading center that they frequented... but apparently it was mainly just a verbal Egyptian thing only... too bad we can't figure out what everyone else around them called that particular trade center...