Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Floating wind turbines could power the future

UM-Bot

A remarkable new type of wind turbine that floats in the sky could soon become a common sight worldwide.

With an appearance that bears more than a passing resemblance to a UFO, the "Buoyant Airborne Turbine" by Altaeros Energies has the potential to revolutionize energy generation in a wide variety of circumstances.

Read More: http://www.unexplain...ower-the-future

• Like 1

perfect in emergencies, hardly a long-term solution as a permanent instalment, unless fit to be retractable. Imagine the havoc during a heavy storm or hurricane, spinning blades flying all over the place.

• Like 1

i swear i seen these floating wind turbines in one of the old sonic the hedgehog game on mega drive in late 80's (possibly dr robotnik level)

• Like 1

perfect in emergencies, hardly a long-term solution as a permanent instalment, unless fit to be retractable. Imagine the havoc during a heavy storm or hurricane, spinning blades flying all over the place.

I think they would move them out of the way something like that approaching, kinda like all the yachts disappear from harbors where typhoons are on the way. As such it might be superior -- you can't move wind farms or nuclear plants.
  • Like 2

its all good until 1 malfunctions and lands on someones head

Airplanes do that from time to time; keep them mainly over unpopulated places.

I say give them a try and let's see them produce.

• Like 1

Somewhat similar Tethered Aerostat Radar Systems (TARS) have been in operation along the US border since the 1980s. They are pulled to ground during high winds and operate at much higher altitudes than the proposed generator.

• Like 1

Why aren't we using scalar energies to power our households?

Why do we have to restrict people to needing utility companies, when every household could have their own small, pollution-free power-plants?

We already have the technology to get this done.

I may well get why, but I certainly DON'T agree with the governments' and corporations' praise of an atrocious money god. Why are they holding the people of this world back from living a better and well-powered life without the presence of pollution and health-challenging effects of electrosmog?

Every household should be able to access free unlimited energy to use for personal energy needs.

Edited by regeneratia
  • Like 2

Why aren't we using scalar energies to power our households?

Why do we have to restrict people to needing utility companies, when every household could have their own small, pollution-free power-plants?

I may well get why, but I certainly DON'T agree with the governments' and corporations' praise of an atrocious money god. Why are they holding the people of this world back from living a better and well-powered life without the presence of pollution and health-challenging effects of electrosmog?

Every household should be able to access free unlimited energy to use for personal energy needs.

Could you possibly explain to me what scalar energy is?

Cheers,

Badeskov

• Like 1

Cheers,

Badeskov

Again, while you asked so sweetly (sincerely said), I think the "search" for it allows you to choose what sources you come across regarding scalar energy, and you are more likely to read about it if you locate it yourself and pick your web sources. But I adore that this question is in your mind. You rock! Oh please, continue to be curious about scalar energy. Knowledge is power, ... literally, regarding this issue.

I did a lot of research on Wind Turbines when I was getting my BSME like 15 years ago, so I'm not up on the current technology, but a lot of the logic is clear to me.

I see a number of problems...

1) Helium - It is running out.

2) The technology has to be scalible upward. The one in the video looks to have about a 10 foot span, which puts it into the 10kW range probably. Double that if their high altitude data is true. To replace a single 2.5 MW giant wind turbine, like we have in Oregon, and which are all over the US now, would take 120 of these little guys.

3) 2000 foot long cable. Given winds change that means you have a 4000 foot range where you can't install another of these guys, or they might crash together, or interfere with each other's cables. I certainly wouldn't put them closer then the length of the cable being used. This also would present a huge no-fly zone within the floating wind farm. The giant wind turbines used today have a span of 100 meters approximately and can be spaced every 500 meters or so. They take a lot less surface space.

4) I wonder what the line loss of electricity over that 2000 feet of cable will be?

So, these will be fine for emergency work, or like for powering a remote home, or small facility. An average US home uses about 11,000 kWh per year, so that would be about 1 kW needed per hour. So this floating wind turbine, depending on its size, could power up to 20 homes. Or about 100 people. So a small remote town of like 10,000 would need 100 of these... spaced 2000 feet apart. Or about 11 square miles of surface area. Not un-doable, but not easily done either.

Looks totally impracticle on the macro scale to me.

• Like 1

Cheers,

Badeskov

It is basically zero-point energy collection. From what I've just read, it is mathmatically shown to be possible, but has never had proof of theory done, and no natural occurance have ever been reported.

No site that I could find that was not totally out in la-la land claims that such technology exists. The people claiming such technology exists also claim that we've conquored time travel, world wide mass mind control, super weapons much more powerful then a 100 megaton nuke, and most also claim we (The USA) are working directly with the aliens.

No site that I could find that was not totally out in la-la land claims that such technology exists. The people claiming such technology exists also claim that we've conquored time travel, world wide mass mind control, super weapons much more powerful then a 100 megaton nuke, and most also claim we (The USA) are working directly with the aliens.

Just check out military technology. That is where you will find it.

There is some here too, so pick your poison.

http://search.eureka...scalar&x=7&y=12

ok, I broke down and did it, did a search on "Los Alamos scalar". it is a startpage search so I cannot give the searh url. I suggest you just follow those words in any search engine.

https://en.wikipedia...ar_Quantization

http://journals.aps....sRevLett.75.240

http://arxiv.org/abs/hep-ph/0106158 I am not pretending I understand this stuff.

http://home.itp.ac.r...s/pdf/07CKL.pdf

I am dune being off-topic. Do the searches yourself. My point, I restate, is that every single household and building should and could have their own small power=plants that provide for their energy needs. There is no more use for utility companies, even those who use wind energy, as they pollute and bilk the public into conditions of near stavation.

I will NOT be repressed (!!) and enslaved, when there is technology out there that keeps me free.

always remember what enron did to California. Always remember how much money your congressmen gets from energy companies. I sure do.

http://www.renewable...nsas-statehouse

Utility-Backed Anti-Solar Bill on the Move in Kansas Statehouse

Gabe Elsner

March 05, 2014 | 3 Comments

Edited by regeneratia

This is a persistent problem not just on this board but the entire internet and indeed the world's press -- how do you know what to believe and what to disregard. People have many reasons to lie -- hype to raise money perhaps most common, but wishful thinking and pious fraud (frauds to "save souls" are seen by many as being acceptable behavior) ranks right up there.

I don't know about these stories; I tend to take technology at face value but usually it turns out to be hype. This is why the conspiracy theories about evil giant oil companies suppressing new technology are around -- people get the wrong impression from the hype that replacing oil is easy.

I have to question the caliber of the engineers who designed this floating wind turbine in that they don't plan to use a more efficient and far cheaper lifting gas, i.e. hydrogen. Hydrogen would be perfectly safe far this purpose. In addition to its greater lifting potential, hydrogen is also in inexhaustible abundance on Earth. Yet the so-called engineers/designers of such aerial devices seem always to never even consider it for such a purpose and instead inevitably plan to use helium, presently producible only through nuclear fusion inside stars, as well as being a very rare element which is near depletion on Earth. This is apparently only because they believe hydrogen is so scarily dangerous.

• Like 2

Just check out military technology. That is where you will find it.

The main problem is that scalar is not only used for this fictional zero point energy collection devices.

Scalar may refer to:

•Scalar (mathematics), a quantity that can multiply vectors in the context of vector spaces

•Scalar (physics), a quantity that is independent of specific classes of coordinate systems

•Variable (computing), or scalar, an atomic quantity that can hold only one value at a time

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scalar

In mathematics and physics, a scalar field associates a scalar value to every point in a space. The scalar may either be a mathematical number, or a physical quantity. Scalar fields are required to be coordinate-independent, meaning that any two observers using the same units will agree on the value of the scalar field at the same point in space (or spacetime). Examples used in physics include the temperature distribution throughout space, the pressure distribution in a fluid, and spin-zero quantum fields, such as the Higgs field. These fields are the subject of scalar field theory.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scalar_field

So the problem is picking out the zero point enery "scalar" technology links/references/sites from the math and physics sites using the term in a more conventional way. Right off I saw that several of your links did not apply to exotic energy technology at all.

I have to question the caliber of the engineers who designed this floating wind turbine in that they don't plan to use a more efficient and far cheaper lifting gas, i.e. hydrogen. Hydrogen would be perfectly safe far this purpose. In addition to its greater lifting potential, hydrogen is also in inexhaustible abundance on Earth. Yet the so-called engineers/designers of such aerial devices seem always to never even consider it for such a purpose and instead inevitably plan to use helium, presently producible only through nuclear fusion inside stars, as well as being a very rare element which is near depletion on Earth. This is apparently only because they believe hydrogen is so scarily dangerous.

There are at least 3 key issues against using hydrogen as lifting gas:

1.) Costs. As hydrogen is flamable and there is a permanent electrostatic field arround the device due to

airflow, the whole electrical/electronic setup like the generator and the onboard control units of the device

must be designed explosion-resistant and explosion-resistant electrical/ electronic parts must be used.

These kind of parts are more expensive that non explosion-resistant ones. In addition, the gas-proof factor

of the lifting body must be higher than for helium, so additional costs will occur.

2.) Applicability. As hydrogen is flamable, the local applicability of the device would be limited based on

local fire protection restrictions those may prohibit the use of the device in the most areas. Also the

transport of hydrogen, e.g. to the place of action like disaster areas or remote research spots , is subject to

more restrictive provisions than it is for helium. The transport of hydrogen by airplane is subject to the

IATA DG regulations and to road transport regulations as well, so it is limited and may avoid the use of the

device at remote locations where hydrogen cannot be supplied locally.

3.) Third party risk/public liability/insurance. The use of the device is subject to the owners accountability. As

hydrogen is flamable, insurance companys may refuse the risk to cover insurance for the use of the device.

If not, the insurance amount would be very high and subject to various constraints, so additional costs again.

So in conclusion, the engineers and project responsible managers did well with the decision to avoid hydrogen.

The company`s target is to sell as much devices as possible. The use of hydrogen would limit the number of

potential clients by math to a number where the project would not reach a status of economic success ever.

And do not underestimate the psychologic factor, catchword Lakehurst.

Edited by toast

I did a lot of research on Wind Turbines when I was getting my BSME like 15 years ago, so I'm not up on the current technology, but a lot of the logic is clear to me.

I see a number of problems...

1) Helium - It is running out.

It isn't really running out. Helium is one of the most abundant elements in the universe. We have a production problem hampered by archaic government policies.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/science/health/med-tech/why-is-there-a-helium-shortage-10031229

2) The technology has to be scalible upward. The one in the video looks to have about a 10 foot span, which puts it into the 10kW range probably. Double that if their high altitude data is true. To replace a single 2.5 MW giant wind turbine, like we have in Oregon, and which are all over the US now, would take 120 of these little guys.

For large scale use I agree, but these could be ideal for a remote area's power needs. A community with only a few dozen buildings would not have to ship power over long distances and could maintain their own grid.

3) 2000 foot long cable. Given winds change that means you have a 4000 foot range where you can't install another of these guys, or they might crash together, or interfere with each other's cables. I certainly wouldn't put them closer then the length of the cable being used. This also would present a huge no-fly zone within the floating wind farm. The giant wind turbines used today have a span of 100 meters approximately and can be spaced every 500 meters or so. They take a lot less surface space.

I would image that these would need to be anchored from four corners. I don't think the design would allow for a single cable for stability reasons. You should be able to get them fairly close together.

4) I wonder what the line loss of electricity over that 2000 feet of cable will be?

Good question

So, these will be fine for emergency work, or like for powering a remote home, or small facility. An average US home uses about 11,000 kWh per year, so that would be about 1 kW needed per hour. So this floating wind turbine, depending on its size, could power up to 20 homes. Or about 100 people. So a small remote town of like 10,000 would need 100 of these... spaced 2000 feet apart. Or about 11 square miles of surface area. Not un-doable, but not easily done either.

Looks totally impracticle on the macro scale to me.

I agree it doesn't seem very practical for even a good sized town of 50,000 or more but I could see these being very practical in farming communities across the midwest and more remote towns where power transmission is costly and vulnerable.

• Like 1

It isn't really running out. Helium is one of the most abundant elements in the universe. We have a production problem hampered by archaic government policies.

http://www.popularme...ortage-10031229

I thought the only real way to "make" or collect helium is by way of natural gas and oil processing. Because it gets trapped underground and can be processed out. I don't know of any way to process helium economically from our atmosphere. We can create helium in fusion processes, but that would be cost prohibitive.

For large scale use I agree, but these could be ideal for a remote area's power needs. A community with only a few dozen buildings would not have to ship power over long distances and could maintain their own grid.

Agree. But that does not jive with their company claim that this is the next generation of wind turbines. At best it will be a small niche market.

I would image that these would need to be anchored from four corners. I don't think the design would allow for a single cable for stability reasons. You should be able to get them fairly close together.

That would be a better way of anchoring them, but they would still be able to move around quite a bit, I think, and need a lot of ground area compared to what they are rated for.

I agree it doesn't seem very practical for even a good sized town of 50,000 or more but I could see these being very practical in farming communities across the midwest and more remote towns where power transmission is costly and vulnerable.

Agree! :tu:

The main problem is that scalar is not only used for this fictional zero point energy collection devices.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scalar

http://en.wikipedia....ki/Scalar_field

So the problem is picking out the zero point enery "scalar" technology links/references/sites from the math and physics sites using the term in a more conventional way. Right off I saw that several of your links did not apply to exotic energy technology at all.

They did too. The used the word scalar. There was one that was a interesting application in testing. I just brought in the top links. How far did you go? How much do you really really want to know? Or did you just look enough merely to actually try discussion here?

BTW, I don't respect the info on wikipedia.

Edited by regeneratia

It makes me wonder, if matrix-like learning is 30 years away, why we are still stuck into the old ways of generating energy? We have the technology to energize the planet without fossils, and wind. Why aren't we using them?

What happened to THIS invention?

Could be scalar, is magnetic.

Edited by regeneratia

It makes me wonder, if matrix-like learning is 30 years away, why we are still stuck into the old ways of generating energy? We have the technology to energize the planet without fossils, and wind. Why aren't we using them?

What happened to THIS invention?

Could be scalar, is magnetic.

From some brief google checking on Steve Mark and his TPU, I am inclinded to believe it is magnetic and that it draws the electricity by way of magnetic lines from overhead powerlines, or from the electrical lines inside the building. I lot of current can pass through a magnetic field. The technology doubtless disappeared after someone bought it (I read it was the UAE) and back engineered what was going on and found it novel, but not actually to be generating electricity.