Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The importance of deepening our interior life

markdohle

The importance of deepening our interior life and some more about AA

It was a good weekend with the AA group. We have different types of groups here that follow different formats, both equally valid for the needs of each group. One group that does the AA program is very much into sharing, staying up late at nigh, talking and having fellowship. It is wonderful having them, and I can see that those who come leave refreshed and ready to continue to live their lives in a’ Higher Power’ centered way. The last time they were here I think they did the 11th step.

This group that was here this weekend was of a different sort. They were more into silence, healthy foods, yoga and seeking to deepen their prayer life. So there was not as much sharing late into the night and much less coffee was consumed…..though enough was of course. Even the snacks were of the healthy variety.

Both groups doing the same thing, dealing with the different needs of those who on the 12th step program on a daily basis….which takes discipline and courage I believe. In both groups I met people who were humble in their self knowledge and loving and accepting of others.

This weekend I had the honor of speaking with a few of them and was amazed at their depth of commitment as well as their love of “their higher power”. I could sense the healing power of their faith and in their deepening trust in the process that they are involved in. They learn to take responsibility for their lives, to owe up to their mistakes and deeply hurtful moral failures towards others, without turning in on themselves in a self destructive manner. They seek to make amends, some traveling great distances over the years to meet and to ask for pardon for what they had done, as well as to make restitution if able to.

They understand paradox. Strength comes from letting go of control. Powerlessness, the concept, leads to allowing grace to work in their lives, which leads to greater freedom. To admit to being powerless is not an invitation to despair in the 12th step program, but a call to greater freedom by embracing reality as it is….in doing that they find the way out of destructive cycles of behavior that will, if left unchecked, eventually lead to death.

Perhaps most of us need to be brought to a point I our lives wherein we learn the importance of deepening our interior life. To seek a connection with the infinite and to allow the relationship to heal our lives by giving the strength to let go of all that keeps us from the deeper streams of living water that live in our souls and are released by the grace of a loving and trusting relationship with the infinite.

Religion can hurt; destroy others if used in a cruel and controlling manner. So often something is needed where the baggage can be let go of so a relationship with the transcendent can be reestablished on a deep, loving and trusting level One day a woman asked me why she can read from other traditions so easily but have trouble with her own. I responded that when we read from others traditions there is often little if any baggage that has to be shifted through. So we can be more open. I believe the 12th steps do that for many people. I do encourage seekers to go back and learn from their own religious past so that they can either re-connect or to understand what they are leaving behind. That way the intimate connection that anger brings can be let go of. Unresolved anger is a heavy burden to carry, and sad to say, religion can be one of those burdens.

• Like 1

A great post, in so many ways, Mark. I hope many people read it and try to comprehend the power/truth in the words.

Edited by Mr Walker
  • Like 1

They understand paradox. Strength comes from letting go of control. Powerlessness, the concept, leads to allowing grace to work in their lives, which leads to greater freedom. To admit to being powerless is not an invitation to despair in the 12th step program, but a call to greater freedom by embracing reality as it is….in doing that they find the way out of destructive cycles of behavior that will, if left unchecked, eventually lead to death.

Why do you think that some people feel they have to avoid powerlessness at all costs? Do some people have a controlling factor built into their being, so that they can be no other way? My ex-wife is one like that. She has to be in control of everything and everyone in her life. Powerlessness is equated with being weak, and some people seem to fear that.

• Like 1

Why do you think that some people feel they have to avoid powerlessness at all costs? Do some people have a controlling factor built into their being, so that they can be no other way? My ex-wife is one like that. She has to be in control of everything and everyone in her life. Powerlessness is equated with being weak, and some people seem to fear that.

The bottom line is that control over life and others is an illusion. There is a saying, you can't herd cats nor people.... true I believe. I am sure you wife has a lot of frustration from passive aggressive behavior from those she attempts to dominate. There is always paradox at work in our lives. If you want to destroy a relationship just become jealous or demanding for all of the loved ones attention......the saying if you love let it go has a measure of truth to it. Control can work for infants, but as we age that ability lessens as the years go by. We wish to be around those who can love and accept us, but also not use us as a means to overcome some sort of inner insecurity that can be hidden deeply. I suppose we all struggle with this, but in the end, we choose, some choices are easier than others, the ones that are important can be harder.....for they call to a death to an old way of life into something larger.

Peace

Mark

A great post, in so many ways, Mark. I hope many people read it and try to comprehend the power/truth in the words.

Thank you Mr. Walker. I learn a lot from those on the 12th step path.

peace

mark

29:00-38:00 in the video below has alternate opinions on AA if anyone is interested?

29:00-38:00 in the video below has alternate opinions on AA if anyone is interested?

[media=]

[/media]

Everyone has an opinion, then there are those who experience what it can do fo rthem.

Will look at the site, thanks.

Peace

mark

• Like 1

[media=]

[/media]

Ok this time I had jaz music despite turning all other tabs off. I listened as best I could I would say that AA, based on a belief in god works. There might be other secular alternatives Some individuals, like the one speaking, might be so anti god that this gets in the road of success at AA. But for millions o f people it has worked BECAUSE they use god as a support.Even where that is only a belief in god it works very effectively. if you took god out of AA you would have most of its members still alcoholic, because they CANNOT heal them selves using only their inner resources. This is common in human beings.We doubt ourselves, but who can doubt a very powerful and loving god.

• Like 1

Atheist have their own spiel on things just like everyone else. Also their beliefs just like for the rest of us,are both a window to the world but also a cell. I think atheist live in a very small one.

peace

mark