Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

solving the mystery of the afterlife

ask21771

All I can see, if the after life is proven, is people committing mass suicides because they hate it here so much. I'm kinda hoping it can never be proved or I fear the value of our lives now will cheapen.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

it will become very clear for all of us, eventually...

Nonsense! I plan to live forever. So far, so good. :tsu:

• Like 1

All I can see, if the after life is proven, is people committing mass suicides because they hate it here so much. I'm kinda hoping it can never be proved or I fear the value of our lives now will cheapen.

Probably not. Most religions would be somewhat confirmed by the existence of an after life. Most have tennents of anti suicide.

Just a thought:

I do not think that there will ever be un-refutable evidence for the afterlife. Not to say I do not -believe- in an afterlife, but that if it does exist it would be wholly outside of the realm of comprehension for us. Perhaps NDEs are real, perhaps they are like dreams, where the actual dreaming is short but the dream seems long. I do not believe that quantum physics will answer spiritual questions. Seems a lot of people like tacking quantum physics/mechanics to their ideas/faith/doctrine/agenda without understanding anything real about it. If I recall, there was a QM scientist that stated something along the lines of "If you understand QM, you are doing it wrong".

In the end, each person will discover (or not, depends) the situation.

Disclaimer: I am not here to attack (or even defend) any viewpoint. I may be incorrect and welcome adjustment/correction to factual error.

There are some intriguing evidences of reincarnation. Reincarnation seems to imply some sort of "afterlife". IMO consciousness certainly does exist outside of a physical body. Objective proofs will be hard to come by.

Is science coming closer to proving the afterlife exists (or doesn't exist)

Science? It is a problem. Current Science uses what methods?

To proving the afterlife exists you need spiritual methods. Physics does not help, bilology nor.............. :innocent:

But what methods? Astral traveling, magick evocations, meditations, yoga, ....................and similar.

To understand after life, you need to understand consciousness. What is consciousness? How did it start? What created/triggered its existence? How will it end? Will it just shutdown as your body decayed or will it be transferred to another realm of existence such as the realm of dream or the realm of the dead?

Is science coming closer to proving the afterlife exists (or doesn't exist)

If they proved the afterlife doesn't exist you will have billions of people rioting out of anger due to disrespecting religions ... So even if they did discover it I doubt they will say anything.

I dislike the word "mystery" for things that are unknown and will remain so till we die.

To understand after life, you need to understand consciousness. What is consciousness? How did it start? What created/triggered its existence? How will it end? Will it just shutdown as your body decayed or will it be transferred to another realm of existence such as the realm of dream or the realm of the dead?

We know the basic properties of existence (energy, charge, momentum and angular momentum) are "preserved," which means they can change their form but not be destroyed or created. Even the universe conserves all these properties since it seems each of them nets to zero.

Now one can't help but wonder if maybe the same rule applies to mind.

I just want to know this based on the latest evidence does it loo more or less likely that there is an afterlife

That will depend on who you talk to. But in reality you only have a few choices.

1) a created universe by a god that will give you life after death if you believe.

2) a universe with some sort of spiritual reality that is not so dogmatic that grants you life after death.

3) a one time materlistic deterministic universe that popped out of "nothing" never to do it again.

4) a deterministic material universe that popped out of "nothing" but will repeat at some point.

5) so massive no concept can fit in your head

Number one seems highly unlikely

Number 3 seems highly unlikely.

Number 4 seems most likely from a materialistic deterministic perspective. But matter can only arrange itself in so many ways. Eventually the exact combination of this universe will repeat, so the information that is you, will recombine and you will live your exact same life over and over and over again for eternity. Heaven or hell only you can decide.

number 2 seems more likely than 1 and does seem to be confirmed by shaman, NDEs etc etc at least from a spiritual perspective.

There might be a 5th option that the universe/multiverse is so large and complex that even a tiny fraction of knowing what it is about cannot even fit in your head.

Take your pick. 5 may or may not involve an afterlife but its probably big enough to have the same effects as number 4.

In all likely hood 2 is not really our reality and the rest of the options have some sort of afterlife, though repeating this life is not really an afterlife. 4 really makes your life a constant.

To answer your question... Yes in all likelihood you will live forever in some fashion. Unless you are like Dr. McCoy and are afraid of transporters. If you can't believe that it's information that makes up who and what you are, then 4 is a death sentence and not a path to eternal life.