Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

What is religion?

Ligia Cabus

Most definitions given so far in this thread appear (at least to me) to not actually define "religion" but rather define "Organised Religion". Though the two terms have come via modern society to be synonymous, they aren't actually the same thing. At its simplest, religion can be defined as "belief in God", that's the first definition provided in pretty much every dictionary I've ever read.

So that's the definition I'm going to use.

I agree that "religion" has been used as a synonym for "faith" or "belief", but I prefer to not confuse the terms - keeping the latter for personal/individual use, while using the former in group contexts.

My reason for doing so is that "faith" and "belief" are defined with no set ritual or dogma and so are appropriate for use as personal/individual descriptors - while "religion" is defined as involving common ritual/dogma and so I see it's use as a synonym for personal faith/belief as somewhat oxymoronic.

Edited by Leonardo
  • Like 1

I agree that "religion" has been used as a synonym for "faith" or "belief", but I prefer to not confuse the terms - keeping the latter for personal/individual use, while using the former in group contexts.

My reason for doing so is that "faith" and "belief" are defined with no set ritual or dogma and so are appropriate for use as personal/individual descriptors - while "religion" is defined as involving common ritual/dogma and so I see it's use as a synonym for personal faith/belief as somewhat oxymoronic.

It's an easy distinction to draw, and while I see yours (and others) reasons, I prefer to use the term in its original sense (most of the time I use words as such, unless it "prevents" me from doing so (the word "prevent" has a unique etymological reference, for the record)).

But as I mentioned, the word "religion" has many meanings, and I'll take the first meaning provided by most dictionaries. I could offer alternatives, but that would just muddy the waters. I believe the phrase "lowest common denominator" fits in right about now. :)

Religion is a theory which have been proposed to prove the existence of a creator/sacred power.

Religion is a theory which have been proposed to prove the existence of a creator/sacred power.

Let's think: This is theology

Or religion develops as a way/methodology of explaining the physical presence of a god or gods.