Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

World Court Orders Halt to Japanese Whaling

Still Waters

Japan has been ordered to halt hunting whales in the Antarctic by an international court, after ruling it was "not scientific".

Australia had sued Japan at the UN dispute-resolution forum in a bid to end whaling in the icy southern region.

Japan hunts around a thousand mostly minke whales each year as part of what it claims is a scientific programme.

https://uk.news.yaho...35.html#gtBIEMP

I suspect it'll mean bog all to the Japanese, they'll just go on hunting.

Perhaps it'll mean the Aussie government can refuse to harbor whaling ships or even allow them into Aussie territorial waters but I doubt it.

• Like 1

I suspect it'll mean bog all to the Japanese, they'll just go on hunting.

Perhaps it'll mean the Aussie government can refuse to harbor whaling ships or even allow them into Aussie territorial waters but I doubt it.

I hope you're wrong. It's way past time that Japan stopped with BS scientific study story and stopped hunting. A firm stance is way overdue from us down here, it's so frustrating.

• Like 2

Well, Japan doesn't have a very good history of doing what they are ordered to do by foreigners. It has tried to play nice, but in all honesty, I wouldn't be surprised if this was the straw that broke the camel's back, and Japan just decided to walk out of the joke that is the IWC. You can only take being screwed by hypocrites so long.

What power does the "World Court" have?

Do their threats have any teeth.

I don't think this will stop Japan at all.

• Like 1

I would tend to agree, this won't stop Japan for long. Basically, the court wasn't able to say that Japan was doing anything illegally. The most it could say was that the reasons for the Antartic permits weren't scientific enough, so no more permits for these reasons. Japan has to go back to the drawing board and come up with new, more convincing scientific reasons, to issue permits, to present to the organization that has openly refused to acknowledge the scientific conclusions reached by its own panel of experts.

That, or they could just abandon the IWC altogether. That gets my vote.

1,000 whales a year for research. That's a boatload of research. Where are the studies?

Yeah, right.

It might make a slight difference if people would consider stopping using products made from whales

Or maybe if they even knew what products were made from whales.

brit3a.jpg

SCRIMSHAW!!! SCRIMSHAW!!!!

According to this http://www.ehow.com/...used-today.html, not much of anything other than food.

I think it's just high time we just let the whales be.

Yeah I agree. At least this might be a start. Hopefully where I live they wont cull sharks anymore either. Puppies of the sea they are.

*Sometimes they bite though but its the risk we take by swimming with them.

http://news.ninemsn....killed-by-shark

post-33493-0-61078000-1396498230_thumb.j

Edited by Kazahel