Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

ADHD 'Not a Real Disease' Says Neuroscientist

Still Waters

Leading American neuroscientist Dr Bruce D Perry has claimed that attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) is not "a real disease".

"It is best thought of as a description. If you look at how you end up with that label, it is remarkable because any one of us at any given time would fit at least a couple of those criteria," he said.

https://uk.news.yaho...56.html#D9rlkC9

• Like 3

Indeed it's a great way to sell drugs to children. We have also created a society of hoop jumpers. If for whatever reason a kid doesn't line to jump through the obstacle course we have for him/her they get a label and a pill. The brave new world is fast approaching.

• Like 4

Indeed it's a great way to sell drugs to children. We have also created a society of hoop jumpers. If for whatever reason a kid doesn't line to jump through the obstacle course we have for him/her they get a label and a pill. The brave new world is fast approaching.

I would say it's already here, the BNW.

I tend to agree with Dr. Perry. I wonder if our relatively new digital world and its many devices contribute to the behavior we call ADHD?

• Like 1

I would say it's already here, the BNW.

I tend to agree with Dr. Perry. I wonder if our relatively new digital world and its many devices contribute to the behavior we call ADHD?

I'm sure of it as well as other things. I teach martial arts and the coordination level of children in general has decreased drastically. I live in a mature market for electronic devices, and I have been utterly shocked at the number of preteens that I meet that cannot even do a summer sault roll or a push-up. It's scary actually.

• Like 2

I really totally agree with this article. I think it is also so over diagnosed it is pathetic.

However, I say that with a little bit of knowledge about what they diagnose as ADHD. My grandson was diagnosed with severe ADHD when he was four. On top of being hyper active, there some other symptoms that don't seem to be mentioned as often. He had terrible depth perception. He would run right straight into a wall or jump so high on the bed that he went off the bed and into the dresser and just seem to have poor conception of depth and space.

He was of course placed on Ritalin. My daughter abhorred the aspect of giving a four / five year old a pill ever day to control his behavior. Control it that is until the pill wore off. Then you looked at the prospect of giving him another pill. She started researching ADHD and found a theory out there that it is caused by diet, all of the food colorings and additives that we take in every day. She immediately decided to try it and to stop the Ritalin. It was difficult to say the least. There are specific additives that are felt to be at blame, so she had to read each and every label. She found things that are shocking such as Green Giant frozen baby peas have a color additive to make them such a lovely shade of green that is an oil derivative ! Simple things like pasta sauce in a jar were totally out of the picture. I swear she became so dedicated to this she was almost to the point of grinding her own flour.

But it WORKED !!!! When she took him back to the doctor who made the diagnosis, he was stunned and asked her what in the world she had done. When she told him he said that he had read about it but had never found anyone who would actually do it ! Needless to say, he was never on Ritalin again ! She was able to slacken the restrictions little at a time. If something didn't digest right, you could actually see it "hit" and cause a change in his behavior almost immediately. If you take a minute and correlate this to the common saying, don't give the kids any sugar, they'll be up all night. You can begin to think about it might not be the sugar in the treat, it might just be the food coloring.

I hope anyone that has a child with ADHD that reads this thinks about it and makes some changes in diet. My grandson is now 6'2" and does not have female breast which I am now hearing is another side effect, has an IQ in the 150's just got a bachelor's from OSU in languages and is now in grad school. It was difficult but it was worth it.

PS My daughter is allergic to nylon. Taking her in a carpet store is always good for a laugh ! She is also a radiologist but had trouble doing that because using the chemicals to develop film

caused sarcoid tumors in her lungs. I have always wondered if his condition was related to that allergy.

Edited by Vincennes
  • Like 3

I was diagnosed with AADD when I was 32. They started me on methylphenidate, which did work, but only for a limited time, and there were side effects I didn't like. It did help me get my MBA and my degree in Network Engineering (wish I had know about it in college).

I was off meds for a while, but have been taking new ones for the past couple of years. There's three pills taken at different times, which is sort of a pain, but I prefer it because it gives much greater control over the dosage, not like Ritalin, which is like using a double-barrel for hunting squirrels.

I haven't heard of ADD being referred to as a disease for a while. I've always known it as a cognitive disorder.

I'm sure of it as well as other things. I teach martial arts and the coordination level of children in general has decreased drastically. I live in a mature market for electronic devices, and I have been utterly shocked at the number of preteens that I meet that cannot even do a summer sault roll or a push-up. It's scary actually.

In respect of what you have brought up, I felt that I should mention that my grandson was entered in a qualified martial arts school that was operated by a former Marine Drill Sargent and, of course, a black belt to not only improve his physical coordination but to enhance his concentration.

In respect of what you have brought up, I felt that I should mention that my grandson was entered in a qualified martial arts school that was operated by a former Marine Drill Sargent and, of course, a black belt to not only improve his physical coordination but to enhance his concentration.

In my opinion there are few things better for those things. Dance and gymnastics are close seconds but martial arts is also a practicle skill if taught properly.

Edited by White Crane Feather
  • Like 1

Vincennes- that was an awesome, awesome post about your grandson. It made my day!

• Like 1

Leading American neuroscientist Dr Bruce D Perry has claimed that attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) is not "a real disease".

"It is best thought of as a description. If you look at how you end up with that label, it is remarkable because any one of us at any given time would fit at least a couple of those criteria," he said.

https://uk.news.yaho...56.html#D9rlkC9

I beleive this. the label ADHD is just to push drugs, drugs that effect growing, rapidly maturing brains.

• Like 2

Reminds me of this . And for the record I do think A.D.H.D is not real

e6507b8fedc281fa47c443d77166c8fc.jpg

Edited by spartan max2
  • Like 7

Vincennes- that was an awesome, awesome post about your grandson. It made my day!

Thank you, Bill, from the very bottom of my heart.

I hope someone who has a child with this affliction reads this and realizes this was not an easy course, it was probably the most difficult thing my daughter ever undertook but I will always say she did it with her entire heart, knowing the other choice was forcing a pill down a 4 year olds throat every 6 hrs. But the rewards came within 4 months, the changes started to happen. By the time he was 8 she was able to introduce him to the other world of food but slowly.

Our immune systems are worn out by what we endure every; e.g , Green Giant baby peas only not the only thing our children now are faced with every day . I wonder who read this and will ever feel the same about Green Giant peas again. That colorful dye is an oil derivative. Think about it and have another helping. Give it to your baby because peas are a good thing, right ???

In my opinion there are few things better for those things. Dance and gymnastics are close seconds but martial arts is also a practicle skill if taught properly.

Again, you are so correct !!! Please keep telling them !!!

The doctors that did his diagnosis and the ones stunned at the recovery he had achieved were at Bethesda. His father at the time was an army surgeon from a full scholarship. That's how he was diagnosed so competently from the start but it was my daughter that realized she also need to reconnect him physically. White Feather, keep telling them !

Because of these two things we are losing our children, their minds and their physical abilities.

Anyone interested in further information can contact me.

Edited by Vincennes

Vincennes - I was writing this post when yours popped up. Here's my take on ADD:

I could have been the poster boy for ADD when I was a kid. Even now, as an adult, I have to expend an enormous amount of energy to fit into everyday society. Rather than seeing it as an affliction, I've been able to incorporate it into my lifestyle, with good results. Years ago, I read this book by Thom Hartmann:

http://www.amazon.com/Attention-Deficit-Disorder-Different-Perception/dp/1887424148

His views gave me an entirely different outlook on ADD, and helped me to harness the energy that comes with it.

This Wikipedia article gives a brief overview of Dr. Hartmann's ideas:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hunter_vs._farmer_hypothesis

Your post was a real encouragement, Vincennes. Just hearing how a loving family can steer an ADD kid in the right direction gives me hope for the world!

I agree with you, Vincennes, that the "Hyperactivity" component of ADHD is likely environmentally induced. The "hyper" needs to be brought under control. The attention deficit may just need to be redirected, as you and your family have done with your grandson. I'm uncomfortable calling "simple" ADD an affliction, as my own experience has turned out to be a positive thing in my life.

• Like 1

You understand that isn't the doctor's position, right?

Speaking as a teacher, I get the kids who have either been on the medication for a long time or who are in the process of being given the medication.

Either way, I see them when the medication is active and when it's not. There is a categorical and very obvious change in behaviour patterns when the medication is "on" and when they're off their pills. Now, this could be because of the effect the drugs have had but ... they're different people without the medication. Disruptive, rude, almost uncontrollable.

Whether or not the medication have made them thus, or they were always that way I don't know. But I do know that when the medication is working, they're just like everyone else.

So the medication does change the medicated.

Take away the cell phones and social media availibilty from immature children, and ADHD will lessen on a substantial level.

The more they talk to others, the less they talk with their parents. Just the way it is.

Edited by pallidin
  • Like 1

It has little to do with talking to parents, but it is true that electronic communication has brought ADHD into focus. Technology basically caught up to the speed of the hyperactive. It wasn't till now that we had something to compare the behavior to that we began realizing that there was an actual condition involved.

Speaking as a teacher, I get the kids who have either been on the medication for a long time or who are in the process of being given the medication.

Either way, I see them when the medication is active and when it's not. There is a categorical and very obvious change in behaviour patterns when the medication is "on" and when they're off their pills. Now, this could be because of the effect the drugs have had but ... they're different people without the medication. Disruptive, rude, almost uncontrollable.

Whether or not the medication have made them thus, or they were always that way I don't know. But I do know that when the medication is working, they're just like everyone else.

One of the reasons I prefer my more complex dosage over the single pill solution is because it gives me better control over when the meds wear off. If I have been using the pills on full dosage, then later in the evening I will feel a certain anxiety, a sort of tightening in my chest and increase in pulse that if I wasn't an adult, I might well consider to be fear or anger, and would likely act rude to others.

• Like 1

What gets me is how easily some folks seem to be able to diagnose everyone else's problems accurately on the basis of a personal experience, and immediately know that medication won't work for others, or that disorders are just made up for no reason, or diet changes are everyone's answer... Don't get me wrong, that may work for some and that's great...

But you know why they use the term 'spectrum'? And is it not possible that what works for one won't work at all for another? We are, after all, talking about the most complex device ever... But yeah, just hold off on the red cordial and you'll be fine..

ChrLzs- I think the concern for many people is that medication has become the default position for most healthcare providers. Of course, a lot of the blame lies with the patients themselves, who don't trust their own ability to make healthy lifestyle changes.

One of my goals in life is to never require a pharmaceutical drug to maintain my health. When I'm having any sort of health problem, I first consult a doctor, and then search for a natural approach for healing. Thus far, any health problems I've had have responded to changes in diet and exercise: ADD, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, anxiety, sinus conditions. I have a lot of faith in our bodies' ability to heal.

Yes, modern food additives affect everyone differently, but it's always wise to eliminate additives as the cause before relying on medications that may affect our natural ability to heal as we age.

• Like 2

ChrLzs- I think the concern for many people is that medication has become the default position for most healthcare providers. Of course, a lot of the blame lies with the patients themselves, who don't trust their own ability to make healthy lifestyle changes.

One of my goals in life is to never require a pharmaceutical drug to maintain my health. When I'm having any sort of health problem, I first consult a doctor, and then search for a natural approach for healing. Thus far, any health problems I've had have responded to changes in diet and exercise: ADD, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, anxiety, sinus conditions. I have a lot of faith in our bodies' ability to heal.

Yes, modern food additives affect everyone differently, but it's always wise to eliminate additives as the cause before relying on medications that may affect our natural ability to heal as we age.

Well said.

While I tend to trust doctors, doctors themselves often disagree, so it falls to the individual to educate themselves and be prepared to make decisions.

I'm not 100% against medicating those kids that just are not going to get along in our society without it if the parent is not dedicated to other effective means if control and the kid is going to end up In prison... Well medication has its place.. I often end up in private lessons with some very down the spectrum kids. There is no way some of them are going to learn boundaries, read, math or make friends without some major intervention. One was physically picking on my son last year at a camp simply because he couldn't control himself. (My son is a jujitsu competitor and I have taught him a specific set of pinning techniques for bully's so as not to hurt them.) he was forced to pin the kid until he started crying. I felt bad for him because I know he can't Control himself.

If the parent is unwilling to get involved and the kid is going to be miserable what choice do they have. But the is not entirely what's happening. There is a culture of medicating kids really just to give them an edge and turn them a into traditional hoop jumpers. College kids get their hands on the stuff to enhance their performance at school. Hell who doesn't want to be able to focus better. It's becoming out off control. Parents want calm manageable kids so they dose up the difficult ones. I have sat and listened to a parent complain about their kid and tell me she is going to seek medication, when the kid is actually quit normal just a little active.

There are ways to beat this as mentioned without dosing kids. When I work with them I actually teach them meditation. We start off with 10 seconds and increase over time, but not all of them have access to adults willing to take the necessary measures. In severe cases it will improve the quality of the child's life, but its a slippery slope in a world where parents want it easy and everybody wants an edge.

In athletics, anything you do artificially to enhance yourself is usually illegal, in academia it seems that its not.

• Like 1

I beleive this. the label ADHD is just to push drugs, drugs that effect growing, rapidly maturing brains.

You're suggesting that pharmaceutical companies are making an excuse to push pills. I used Ritalin when I was a child for autism for 4 years and my behaviors improved (I was no longer hyper at times), but at age 12 the doctors felt Ritalin could affect the onset of puberty. I'm 34 years old now and surprised the rate of autism has climbed since I was a child, now found in 1 out of 68 children (esp. 1 out of 52 boys). I feel ADD, ADHD and the like are real mental disorders, but when you have a hysteria of an epidemic, there's a chance a child could be misdiagnosed by hurried doctors and I guess the guidelines to treat children with "Behavioral problems".

e6507b8fedc281fa47c443d77166c8fc.jpg

You forgot to add - 1980: Nerd, Gifted, Feminine boy. 2014: AUTISM. :unsure2:

I would also like to clarify that I don't believe its all made up. just over used and exaggerated.

The arguably "inventor" of A.D.D and A.D.H.D said that 90% of kids getting pills for the disorder do not need it. I

SPIEGEL: In the 1960s, mental disorders were virtually unknown among children. Today, official sources claim that one child in eight in the United States is mentally ill.

Kagan: That's true, but it is primarily due to fuzzy diagnostic practices. Let's go back 50 years. We have a 7-year-old child who is bored in school and disrupts classes. Back then, he was called lazy. Today, he is said to suffer from ADHD (Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder). That's why the numbers have soared.

SPIEGEL: Experts speak of 5.4 million American children who display the symptoms typical of ADHD. Are you saying that this mental disorder is just an invention?

Kagan: That's correct; it is an invention. Every child who's not doing well in school is sent to see a pediatrician, and the pediatrician says: "It's ADHD; here's Ritalin." In fact, 90 percent of these 5.4 million kids don't have an abnormal dopamine metabolism. The problem is, if a drug is available to doctors, they'll make the corresponding diagnosis.

Read more at http://www.snopes.co...dgXLCsHfwckG.99

Edited by spartan max2
  • Like 3

Now, this could be because of the effect the drugs have had but ... they're different people without the medication. Disruptive, rude, almost uncontrollable.

That could be 100% of society if some of us weren't brought up in a disciplined environment. I didn't need drugs as a child to keep me from being disruptive, rude and uncontrollable, I had my father that did all that for me. :yes: