Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Holy Grail Found?

Lilly

Hmmm indeed...

It seems that the people who found it are certainly certain.

I'm reserved about it.

Good find on the article!!

:tu:

smells like an April's Fool to me.

That's what I thought as well. But...I can't seem to find any confirmation.

• Like 1

smells like an April's Fool to me.

I think I would put money on that....

I think the sheer fact that these 'Historians' didn't have to fend off any attack rabbits is proof enough for me that is a hoax.

• Like 7

Caramba! If this is Holy Grail I imagine the rest of the Saloon - (Cenaculo, Cenacle). Must has been a luxury this Holy Supper (or Last Supper). If it were genuine it would be time for historians and theologians pay attention to the scholars who deny the poverty of the family of Jesus, the Christ. Scholars who, incidentally, are often ridiculed and despised by orthodox researchers, the called respectable academics, those who claim for themselves, the status of true scientists ...

Edited by Ligia Cabus
  • Like 1

Well... first off, unless I am way wrong... it wasn't Jesus' cup... it belonged to the person that ran the inn or what ever it was... It's not like he walked around with a 13 person place setting all the time...

So it would most likely look like an Inn's "dinnerware" - i.e. tough, serviceable and inexpensive... The goblet in the OP does not look like it fills this bill to me...

(Of course i've been wrong before)...

Edited by Taun
  • Like 5

The scientists admit the first 400 years of the cup’s history remain a mystery and they can’t prove the chalice ever actually touched Christ’s lips.

http://nypost.com/2014/03/31/historians-claim-to-have-recovered-fabled-holy-grail/

They can prove nothing, considering the arabs did not conquer Jerusalem until around 638 ce, this cup, if not made in Taiwan! Could have been anybodies.

Hoax... I hope so, surely someone would not make this claim with no evidence at all.

• Like 3

The provenance of this grail is certainly questionable. Even after proper dating is accomplished and a chain of ownership established, we still have the problem of "did this ever touch the lips of Christ?"

It's the same problem of the Shroud of Turin or the first-century heel bone pierced by an iron nail: Perhaps legitimate artifacts of Jesus' time, but absolutely no evidence connecting such to Jesus directly.

• Like 2

you know. the inn where they had their supper probably just served him from the same cups everyone else before him drank from and then gathered his cup and washed it with the others (or not, not sure the clean habits).. then served the next group and passed it on.

It probably was destroyed with the other cups, if made from wood.. then burned when replaced.

I mean, how many inns/resteraunts et et save all their cups when they get new ones?

If you had an important dinner at Dennys (lets face it, at that time... the last supper was just an important dinner meeting between a group of pple.. important only to themselves)... and it changed your life, could you and your group go back to dennys one yr later or so and actually expect the same cups to be served to you that you drank from previously? Heck would they even be there, or would they have been dropped and replaced by then?

Edited by willowdreams
  • Like 1

so a $10,000 just to get a 10 second glimpse at it...

• Like 1

you know. the inn where they had their supper probably just served him from the same cups everyone else before him drank from and then gathered his cup and washed it with the others (or not, not sure the clean habits).. then served the next group and passed it on.

It probably was destroyed with the other cups, if made from wood.. then burned when replaced.

I mean, how many inns/resteraunts et et save all their cups when they get new ones?

If you had an important dinner at Dennys (lets face it, at that time... the last supper was just an important dinner meeting between a group of pple.. important only to themselves)... and it changed your life, could you and your group go back to dennys one yr later or so and actually expect the same cups to be served to you that you drank from previously? Heck would they even be there, or would they have been dropped and replaced by then?

Pilgrim (10 years later): "Inn Keeper! I am here to claim the most holy grail. That devine chalice that our Lord drank from at the Last Supper, which was held in this very room!"

Innkeeper: "Oh... Ummm... Why Sure! Ummm... Here it is! (grabbing a cup off of the shelf) I remember serving him myself! This is the very same cup... er... chalice!"

Pilgrim: "I must have it! It is a holy relic!"

Innkeeper: "Certainly! I can let you have it for a mere pitance of 200 shekels... After all I must be recompensed for the most holy of relics being taken from here!"

Pilgrim: "Yes! A bargin!"

a week later:

2nd Pilgrim: "Inn Keeper! I am here to claim the most holy grail."

Innkeeper: "I was expecting you! I have it right here (with all the others). A mere 250 shekels!"

Edited by Taun
  • Like 5

How can something from a 'legend' or a 'myth' ever be found, then proven to be associated to Jesus?

the jesus i know wouldn't have drank from a jewel encrusted cup.
  • Like 2

The article indicated that the gold and jewels were slapped on it afterwards. I guess after they (Church officials?) determined it was a holy relic they needed to dress it up a mite.

The article indicated that the gold and jewels were slapped on it afterwards. I guess after they (Church officials?) determined it was a holy relic they needed to dress it up a mite.

But IIRC it also said the base cup was made of onyx... Seems a bit pretentious for a neighborhood cafe or inn or whatever it was...

• Like 1

quote: "But the reality, says historian Richard Barber, author of The Holy Grail: Imagination and Belief, is that the Grail stories are just that— stories".

Archaeologist Fred Hiebert, a National Geographic Society fellow, agrees. "I'm always interested in finding remains of ancient people, especially pottery or metal vessels," he says. But when it comes to linking any such object to a specific legend or biblical story? "We can't do it."

http://science.nationalgeographic.com/science/archaeology/holy-grail/

• Like 2

But IIRC it also said the base cup was made of onyx... Seems a bit pretentious for a neighborhood cafe or inn or whatever it was...

True, but I'm not sure what cups of the time were made of? Remember, the last supper was a Passover dinner (a 'big deal'). Some innkeeper could have put out their best stuff and Jesus did have a good sized following by that time (he held what we'd call 'celebrity status').

• Like 2

All I can say is cue Indy's music. :yes: Is Lucas getting a cut out of this?

Correct! If that's a cup of a carpenter.. ..Remember the movie? Cue music again.

They left out the fact that stories of the grail don't even begin until the late 12th century and that the earliest descriptions of the grail are of a wide, deep dish or bowl. Not a cup.

That's the beauty of fiction, however. You can make it into anything you want.

• Like 2

Yeah, possibly an April fools joke.

'Tis the time of the year...

I doubt jesus would of been telling his disciples to give up worldly possessions while drinking out of a jewel encrusted cup.

• Like 3

True, but I'm not sure what cups of the time were made of? Remember, the last supper was a Passover dinner (a 'big deal'). Some innkeeper could have put out their best stuff and Jesus did have a good sized following by that time (he held what we'd call 'celebrity status').

Most 'cups' back then would have been made of wood, or ceramics... I'm not sure when pewter came into general usage - perhaps the middle ages (a thousand years later)... The very rich and royalty (not always the same thing)

could have used gold goblets, and perhaps onyx... The very poor probably used wood, goat or ox horns... A poor family might pass down a stone cup as an 'heirloom'...