Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Holy Grail Found?

Lilly

Hey is she still alive? Now that would be holy grail.

I doubt jesus would of been telling his disciples to give up worldly possessions while drinking out of a jewel encrusted cup.

But Jesus did come from a rather affluent sector of Egypt, in a Jewsih outcast cult that maintained some of the rejected but sacred rituals, in Leonides or something like that, near Alexandria. This outcast Jewish cult were the financiers of his treks, and the guides to his teachings. It could well be that he did drink from rich, ritualistic cups.

I suggest you read Victoia LePage's book, for her history of early Jewish antics (Oh gods, the politics that was constantly washing and rewashing the jewish religion back then!) and the travails of Jesus is remarkable.

Edited by regeneratia

But Jesus did come from a rather affluent sector of Egypt, in a Jewsih outcast cult that maintained some of the rejected but sacred rituals, in Leonides or something like that, near Alexandria. This outcast Jewish cult were the financiers of his treks, and the guides to his teachings. It could well be that he did drink from rich, ritualistic cups.

I suggest you read Victoia LePage's book, for her history of early Jewish antics (Oh gods, the politics that was constantly washing and rewashing the jewish religion back then!) and the travails of Jesus is remarkable.

Mike: "Everybody's realizing now that Jesus was really an Ethiopian."

Archie Bunker: "Aw,c'mon--an Ethiopian claims he was an Ethiopian, a Presbyterian says he was a Presbyterian. . ."

{from USA sit-com "All in the Family," circa 1972)

I doubt jesus would of been telling his disciples to give up worldly possessions while drinking out of a jewel encrusted cup.

Once again, the gold and jewels were slapped onto the onyx cup later on. I suspect this was to somehow make it seem more 'glorious'.

• Like 1

Dubious at best.

Besides, doesn't someone have to actually prove that Jesus himself existed before we can prove his cup did?

• Like 1

Funny that amount of times people go out to solve a very old puzzle and the solution just happens to be exactly in their home country... sorry but I don't believe this.

Most likely it was a cup made of pottery.I don't recall if he the owner of the house where the Last Supper took place was rich or poor or even named. It could have been even made of alabaster or some other material if they were wealthy,even glass as the ancient eygptians and romans made glass items which have survived and been found in museums today.You might want to also look up the Grail of San Juan de la Pena.

It now sits in the Santo Caliz chapel in Valencia Catherdral and can be traced back in its present form to 1399,according to the art historian Antonio Beltran. It consists of two cups. the oldest one sits on he top of a gold and jewel base.Below it is another another cup.The two are joined together by a heart shaped mount. This one is said to have been brought to Spain by St.Lawrence who came from Huesca. Later on it arrived in Valencia in 1437. Before that it had resided in Huesca until 716 when the bishop sent it to the Monastery of San Adrian de Sasabe to protect it from the muslim invaders. It was later sent to jaca in 1063 to the new King of Aragon. When the bishop's seat was moved to San Juan de la Pena, it wound up in the monastery there. Source; The Holy Grail, Legend of the Western World byFranjo Terhart, Parragon ,publisher.

• Like 1

It seems unlikely that a short time after Jesus' death that someone went back to the Inn where they ate and retrieved the cup that he drank from for safe keeping. The disciples were insurgents according to the Roman goverment and were most likely worried about more important things. If it is a cup that is associated with being in one of the disciples keeping, it was probably a prop that was used to retell the story of the ceremony at the last supper. In a bit of showmanship he might have even stated it was the very cup Jesus used to give credibility.

That being said, it's still a cool find if it can really be traced back that far and linked to the story in any way.

It seems unlikely that a short time after Jesus' death that someone went back to the Inn where they ate and retrieved the cup that he drank from for safe keeping. The disciples were insurgents according to the Roman goverment and were most likely worried about more important things. If it is a cup that is associated with being in one of the disciples keeping, it was probably a prop that was used to retell the story of the ceremony at the last supper. In a bit of showmanship he might have even stated it was the very cup Jesus used to give credibility.

That being said, it's still a cool find if it can really be traced back that far and linked to the story in any way.

Mark be like "I gone sell this **** on EBay bro".

• Like 1

Dubious at best.

Besides, doesn't someone have to actually prove that Jesus himself existed before we can prove his cup did?

His name is only in a bazillion copies of the Bible. Isn't that enough proof for you? Remember perception becomes reality. Repeat something over and over again and it will become fact to many. Prove it wrong and it's still a fact to the believers.

• Like 1

His name is only in a bazillion copies of the

So? There are a bazillion websites and books claiming bigfoot is true also

• Like 1

I googled around to find out where onyx is mined and Pakistan was as close as i got to the Holy Land.. but i didn't look very long...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Onyx

WIKI says this : Onyx was used in Egypt as early as the Second Dynasty to make bowls and other pottery items.

http://www.history.com/news/is-the-quest-for-the-holy-grail-over

Found this which says this Cup is actually two cups :

"The chalice, made of gold and onyx and sprinkled with precious stones, is actually two goblets fused together, one turned up, the other down."

The problem (as I see it) is that even if we could prove that Jesus existed, how is anyone going to prove that he drank from any particular cup?

• Like 3

I googled around to find out where onyx is mined and Pakistan was as close as i got to the Holy Land.. but i didn't look very long...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Onyx

WIKI says this : Onyx was used in Egypt as early as the Second Dynasty to make bowls and other pottery items.

http://www.history.c...holy-grail-over

Found this which says this Cup is actually two cups :

"The chalice, made of gold and onyx and sprinkled with precious stones, is actually two goblets fused together, one turned up, the other down."

Im surprised you didnt stay at wiki for the info

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holy_grail

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holy_Chalice

Where would Jesus and his pals who were poor fishermen get a cup/goblet/chalice of this nature,which looks expensive and if that was served up in an Inn, it would have been stolen in minutes by the local poor Inn residents.

• Like 1

What is it with this chalice thing anyway, what about the plate he ate his bread off, how about the chair he sat on, what about the jug the wine came out of? And why has no one tried to sell one on ebay yet?

• Like 2

Problem is, one painting has made everyone think it took place like this. But...its just an artists imagination! Painted as recently as 1495–1498

800px-%C3%9Altima_Cena_-_Da_Vinci_5.jpg

But how do we know it wasnt like this

Our_pre-July_4th_picnic_NOLA.jpg

Edited by seeder
  • Like 2

What is it with this chalice thing anyway, what about the plate he ate his bread off, how about the chair he sat on, what about the jug the wine came out of? And why has no one tried to sell one on ebay yet?

I don't reckon they had chairs in them days,and even today they sit around cross legged on the floor and use the fingers on their right hand to pick up their food. That is why if they are caught stealing, especially in Saudi-Arabia their right hand is chopped off because they use the left hand in the loo and don't use toilet paper.The poorer families still use wooden bowls to eat and drink out of.
  • Like 2

Problem is, one painting has made everyone think it took place like this. But...its just an artists imagination! Painted as recently as 1495–1498

But how do we know it wasnt like this

Our_pre-July_4th_picnic_NOLA.jpg

Hiya, I fell about laughing when I saw your 2nd picture as the men and women didn't eat together, and the men all had on nighties and dish cloths on their heads,and even today you never see a bare legged girl with shorts or short skirts in their Countries, although they are becoming more "westernised" Edited by spud the mackem

Hiya, I fell about laughing when I saw your 2nd picture as the men and women didn't eat together, and the men all had on nighties and dish cloths on their heads,and even today you never see a bare legged girl with shorts or short skirts in their Countries, althought they are becoming more "westernised"

Well I just wanted a pic of a picnic, wasnt interested in it being accurate

But heres how it may have been - with a miracle serpent if you watch carefully :lol:

• Like 2

LOOOOK, see.............chairs, plates, NO CHALICE, but that's one weird looking inn.

Seeder has made an excellent point.

• Like 2

Well I just wanted a pic of a picnic, wasnt interested in it being accurate

But heres how it may have been - with a miracle serpent if you watch carefully :lol:

[media=]

[/media]

There were no Specsavers or jeeps in jesus`s times, got anything which goes back a bit further?

• Like 1

There were no Specsavers or jeeps in jesus`s times, got anything which goes back a bit further?

It's surprising that no video has lasted from the Roman era.

• Like 2