Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Dad Marries Daughter

ouija ouija

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2594219/I-pronounce-daddy-daughter-Dying-father-sees-11-year-old-aisle-knowing-wont-wedding-day.html

A terminally ill 62 year old father walked his 11 year old daughter down the 'aisle', at the end of which a pastor pronounced them 'daddy and daughter' ..... because the father won't be around when she does get married.

Is it just me or does anyone else think this is kinda sick? :td: Why can't people accept that there are some things in life you just can't have? In being so determined to 'walk his daughter down the aisle', this farcical occasion was created.

• Like 4

This seems to be fulfilling a wish of the 11 year old daughter who was heartbroken at the realisation her father would not be there to walk her down the aisle in years to come when she truly married. It can be construed as indulgent or misdirected but given the community support for them in arranging the event, I believe the intent was sincere.

The headline is a little stomach turning but the intent was for him to walk her down an aisle - they were pronounced father and daughter, not husband and wife because it is the act of a father to walk his daughter down the aisle on her wedding day not because they were being "married".

People deal with their grief in different ways and a father helping his daughter deal with her grief at losing him is heartbreaking and touching at the same time.

• Like 5

it gets me the wrong way too

i'm sure there are other ways this young girl could have come to terms with his absence at her future wedding, which i might add may never take place anyway.

it's not like she was engaged and he was going to die before the day came.

• Like 2

Seems a bit weird to me but if it helps them deal with that tough situation, great for them.

• Like 1

Meh. Once the explanation was given, I found the story sweet, and didn't let my gutter mind bug me any more about it.

• Like 5

While I appreciate the emotive nature of the act, I too feel this was an inappropriate way for father to leave 'happy memories' behind for his daughter. And why, at age 11, was marriage, even thinking of a future marriage, important to the daughter? Surely at that age simply being a child, and not wanting your child to be so fixated with adult concerns, is far more important?

Edited by Leonardo
  • Like 1

While I appreciate the emotive nature of the act, I too feel this was an inappropriate way for father to leave 'happy memories' behind for his daughter. And why, at age 11, was marriage, even thinking of a future marriage, important to the daughter? Surely at that age simply being a child, and not wanting your child to be so fixated with adult concerns, is far more important?

Disney movies?

Disney movies?

I wasn't meaning to suggest that a girl of 11 is unfamiliar with the concept of marriage, only that it should not really be "on her radar". I appreciate that my opinions are not the opinions of all, and also wonder at the possibility of some religious influence on this matter. i.e. people who are particularly religious may raise their children from an early age with the expectation they have pre-determined 'roles', as specified in that religion.

• Like 1

I find it extremely sweet. Although when i was eleven i never thought of marriage much outside of imagining it with prince charming, but given the fact that my father wasn't about to die it's not too surprising. I think she probably wasn't very concerned about her marriage (if it were to happen) until she found out her father was going to die, then thought about all the things she'd be missing later in life. And, as said, at least it was father and daughter and not hubby and wife.

Little girls thinking about marriage is hardly a new phenomena. That their definition of "thinking" revolves around how it could be fit into an already full play schedule instead of what adults think of when they think of marriage (i.e. all the things little girls don't think about), is a different matter altogether.

• Like 1

How sad that an eleven year old girl has to go through something like that. It makes me tear up.

• Like 1

I find it extremely sweet. Although when i was eleven i never thought of marriage much outside of imagining it with prince charming, but given the fact that my father wasn't about to die it's not too surprising. I think she probably wasn't very concerned about her marriage (if it were to happen) until she found out her father was going to die, then thought about all the things she'd be missing later in life. And, as said, at least it was father and daughter and not hubby and wife.

This sums it up nicely, some little girls love to imagine they are princesses who will be saved one day when they grow up by their prince charming. Puberty changes all that of course and any prospective "prince charming" has a 50/50 chance of a fat lip at that point - but 11 is still about Cinderella and Snow White etc - her stories would always have had her father smiling proudly and happily when he handed her over to her prince, reality destroyed that dream and he wanted her to understand that in his heart he is always walking her down the aisle into a happy future as her father. Well, that is one way of seeing it at least.

• Like 4

That would just make me sadder than I already was I think. He should have just given her something special to carry with her or wear so she would know he wanted to be there.

• Like 2

I've got mixed feelings about this one. It was an odd thing to do, but any bride will tell you how special it feels to be 'given away' by your dad, and what a proud moment for your dad too.

This girl is losing her dad, she'll have the rest of her life to miss him. Perhaps one day if she does get married for real she'll look back on this and be glad her dad was there while he still could be. I hope so anyway.

• Like 3

I wondered if she would look back and think "What on earth were my parents thinking of?! Why on earth did they agree to that?!"

The person who came up with the idea of a 'wedding', the one who organised it all, was a photographer ..... so I wonder if it was done purely as a stunt for him to gain some attention(and money, of course, when he sold the photos).

My heart breaks for the family. I can't imagine being that young and losing a parent...:(

This guy should have thought of his age before he reproduced.

I highly doubt this is going to make her miss her father any less on her actual wedding day years down the road.

I think it's rather odd. I tend to the same opinion that Leonardo stated above.