Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Active Shooter Reported at Fort Hood in Texas

Still Waters

I can't say I have done any serious (or even casual) study into it, but from what I recall of most of these stories, doesn't "off his meds" play just as frequent a role?

Edited by aquatus1
  • Like 1

I chalk this up to plain old crazy as most of these occurences are but there does almost always seem to be a correlation to anti-depressants when people go postal.

Yup. It's pretty obvious. 1900 suicides among military veterans since January 1st 2014. WW2 vets weren't suiciding themselves at this rate or kids misdiagnosed with mental illness histories snapping and shooting up schools in the '40s, '50s and '60s. Since the '70s medicating individuals has become epidemic. There are many factors why people have been diagnosed with having some sort of chronic problem or another. It's more than often results in new magic pills to treat common problems which could be treated without drugs.

I can't say I have done any serious (or even casual) study into it, but from what I recall of most of these stories, doesn't "off his meds" play just as frequent a role?

Yes.

Yup. It's pretty obvious. 1900 suicides among military veterans since January 1st 2014. WW2 vets weren't suiciding themselves at this rate...

Which may suggest the increase is down to how society has changed since the mid-20th century - that the issue is the society the soliders grew up in, and are rehabilitating in, rather than any pharmaceutical issue.

Which may suggest the increase is down to how society has changed since the mid-20th century - that the issue is the society the soliders grew up in, and are rehabilitating in, rather than any pharmaceutical issue.

What?

• Like 1

Me neither but from personal observation I have seen people with issues that get prescribed medication and they're never the same again without it when I truly believe they could've pulled through without it in the first place.

• Like 1

Humans have generally been the same for 10,000 years. Suicides have always happened but if the numbers spike with the advent of medication you've got to give it some thought. Coming from you I can't help but guess you're knocking the violent american culture but very very recently somebody very close to me killed themself intenetionally and noone could've seen it coming but he was on medications. Which ones and for what I'm not totally sure but we found out the hard way he wasn't who we thought he was and his problems were deeper than can be understood. Whether it was the medication or him being crazy will never be known, but again the corellation is there.

Edited by F3SS

Me neither but from personal observation I have seen people with issues that get prescribed medication and they're never the same again without it when I truly believe they could've pulled through without it in the first place.

Exactly. Moderation is key. But once the individual is introduced to serotonin drugs weening off of them can be disastrous.

• Like 1

Exactly. Moderation is key. But once the individual is introduced to serotonin drugs weening off of them can be disastrous.

It is. They get hooked for life. Without the drug(s) they are irrational, irritable, miserable dysfunctional human beings. Some may say the drugs are to correct those behaviors but I've seen people with small issues get perscriptions that make them ok but 100 times worse than they were before perscription. I still can't believe the one little pill that turned me into lifeless dead weight for almost an entire 24 hours is the same thing that keeps my friend in line and he eats them several times a day. Something ain't right.

• Like 1

There seems to be a sort of taboo when discussing antidepressants. It's most likely due to the alarming percentage of individuals prescribed them.... over 50% of the western population. My sister told me she was prescribed them, almost embarrassingly, a couple years ago when disscussing a school shooting. Many friends I know have been prescribed them for simply breaking up with their spouse or girlfriend. Another friend who suffers from seizure attacks was prescribed them and has been court ordered to continue usage or face jail simply because he threatened to kill a guy for provoking his dog on his own property.

A lot of times there are warnings that the side effects of certain drugs can include suicidal thoughts. People need to be open and honest with their doctors if they find this occurring. I've heard the warning issued for everything from antidepressants to Chantix to quit smoking.