Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Texas family capture alleged 'chupacabra'

UM-Bot

I figured by getting DNA it would verify the animal and prevent conspiracy. I see your point when they killed it.

But maybe mange is contagious (don't know for sure) and they didn't want it to affect the other Raccoon population.

Taking it to a vet would have cost money also.

I doubt fish and wildlifeare concerned with chupacabre conspiracies. I am sure they, like most of us, laugh and shake our heads when people refuse to believe the truth that is right on front of them.

They are concerned however about people having wild animals captive with no permits.

If there were any question to what this racoon was, they would have done DNA, to make sure it was not a species that was illegally introduced to the area. And, to see what it was. That is there job. They new without a doubt what it was, so no need to go that far.

edit : space bar is on the fritz.....

Edited by Sakari

I just do not get why they did not release it, and decided to kill it. Sick people.

Some types of mange are very contagious. That is probably the case for this animal. I suspect that if the animal was non-contagious the Fish and Game people would have simply impounded it and released it into a protected area.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mange

In cases of sarcoptic mange, affected dogs need to be isolated from other dogs and their bedding, and places they have occupied must be thoroughly cleaned. Other dogs in contact with a diagnosed case should be evaluated and treated.

Some types of mange are very contagious. That is probably the case for this animal. I suspect that if the animal was non-contagious the Fish and Game people would have simply impounded it and released it into a protected area.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mange

That makes sense, but they gave them the option to release it or have it euthinized. ( the people who trapped it were given those options.)

Raccoon! needs a bottle of Rogaine, Bad!

That makes sense, but they gave them the option to release it or have it euthinized. ( the people who trapped it were given those options.)

That is weird also. In Oregon I'd bet that the Fish and Game wouldn't have allowed any choices in the matter. Perhaps the Fish and Game in Texas just doesn't care?

It seems that raccoons are considered a "fur-bearing" animal in Texas, and you need a permit to own one, or it's pelt. I think either the people who caught it lied (Stong possibility), or they talked to a very nice person from Fish and Game who allowed them choices which they did not legally have under the law.

I think putting the poor creature to "sleep" was probably the right choice. It probably was suffering and really, is the world a worse place with one less raccoon?

• Like 1

It look very close to a kangaroo.

Ok, it might be very close on a personal level, but it doesn't LOOK anything like the Kangaroos we have here in Australia.

Edited by Somejerkontheweb

Ok, it might be very close on a personal level, but it doesn't LOOK anything like the Kangaroos we have here in Australia.

There are similarities between this creature and a kangaroo.

There are similarities between this creature and a kangaroo.

This creature being a raccoon. Is that what you mean?

Because raccoons and kangaroos aren't all that similar.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

This creature being a raccoon. Is that what you mean?

Because raccoons and kangaroos aren't all that similar.

It does not look like anything in North America, especially a raccoon.

It does not look like anything in North America, especially a raccoon.

Wrong, it looks like a raccoon, from North America. This is already debunked, no need to drag this out again. Dead horses don't need a beating, really.

Nope...

http://www.outdoorlife.com/blogs/newshound/2014/04/texas-chupacabra-euthanized-no-dna-tests-planned

If it is the same size. Has the same paws. The same teeth. Same eyes. Same tail length. And is only missing the hair of a Raccoon, then 100% it is a raccoon.

What I think I remember hearing is that it is harder for a animal with mange to survive in the wild, so they pull in closer to human habitations to try to live off our garbage and domesticated animals.

Edited by DieChecker

Poor raccoon. Can't help but feel for the little creature. My question is: Why are we seeing so many animals with mange? I've never seen any here in Canada. I guess it doesn't mean there are none but I've always lived close to wildlife and not only have I not seen any but I haven't heard of any. My husband is an outdoors man and does lots of fishing and hunting. Haven't heard anything from him or any other outdoors man. Could it be the cooler climate?

Actually, we're not seeing "so many animals with mange". We're seeing a few that are getting more spotlight than they should, especially when used as a hoax for something paranormal.

What I think I remember hearing is that it is harder for a animal with mange to survive in the wild, so they pull in closer to human habitations to try to live off our garbage and domesticated animals.

That's a good point too.