Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Saturn's Enceladus moon hides....

keithisco

Now this is interesting:

The evidence for an "ocean" of water under the surface of Saturn's moon Enceladus appears to be overwhelming.

The little world has excited scientists ever since jets of icy material were seen squirting into space from a striped region at its south pole.

Now, exquisite measurements using Nasa's Cassini probe as it flew over the moon have allowed researchers to detect the water's gravitational signal.

Science magazine reports the details.

"The measurements that we have done are consistent with the existence of a large water reservoir about the size (volume) of Lake Superior in North America," Prof Luciano Iess told BBC News.

Link (courtesy BBC): http://www.bbc.com/n...onment-26872184

Edited by keithisco
  • Like 4

OMG lol I posted the exact same thing and the exact same time as you!!! :clap:

• Like 1

lol that was close. However, the recent topic list shows that keithisco posted first.

I'll remove yours. Seeing as you've both used same source link there's no point in merging the two.

lol that was close. However, the recent topic list shows that keithisco posted first.

I'll remove yours. Seeing as you've both used same source link there's no point in merging the two.

ahh

anyway this news is very encouraging and with a better understanding if there is any some sort of life, how it can survive without heat or sunlight far from the sun

From link, "........It's got several of the things which you need for life - there's certainly the presence of heat, there's liquid water in this ocean, there's organics and that type of chemistry going on.."

The article mentioned there was enough heat....doesn't sound like too warm of a place to me.

Lucky to have Cassini fly right thru it @ just the right time.

Edited by scorpiosonic

Synchronicity? :unsure2:

From link, "........It's got several of the things which you need for life - there's certainly the presence of heat, there's liquid water in this ocean, there's organics and that type of chemistry going on.."

The article mentioned there was enough heat....doesn't sound like too warm of a place to me.

There's enough heat for the water to remain liquid. That makes it warm enough for life: remember that there are things living in the water in the polar regions on Earth.

It just keeps getting more interesting. Discoveries are happening faster and more frequent as we continue to progress. Significant Discoveries used to be separated by tens of years are now separated by hours or days.

This is cool science. Glad we sent Cassini!

ahh

anyway this news is very encouraging and with a better understanding if there is any some sort of life, how it can survive without heat or sunlight far from the sun

Space heaters and Sun Lamps!

They've found a liquid, but how do they determine that it's water without physical testing?

They've found a liquid, but how do they determine that it's water without physical testing?

Geysers were photographed ejecting liquid under the ice

The heat comes from tidal forces by Saturn and orbital resonance with several other moons.

and what could be hiding underneath that ice in the waters?

So..that means that Encladus is still geologically active then?

Theres always a chance of life because this moon has an atmosphere. Also the evidence of ice-tectonics could in theory prove just as lucky.

http://www.space.com/4076-plate-tectonics-essential-alien-life.html

Life on this world might be migratory and amphibious but interesting none the less.

and what could be hiding underneath that ice in the waters?

anything to micro organisms to shrimp i guess