Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Lecturer claims to have photographed fairies

Still Waters

From the article :

The exhibition, called Rossendale Fairies, will be on show at The Whitaker Museum in Whitaker Park in

Rossendale, throughout the spring.

"Don`t kill the golden goose."

- Malcolm Mclaren -

Fairies? Really? That's ridiculous. Now, if you excuse me, I must go and take pictures of underwear gnomes. They're out there. Trust me.

• Like 1

Mimicry, or anthropomorphism, our human desire to attribute of human form or characteristics to other things, but we may have some insight as to where the myth of the fairie perhaps emerged.

Did they have boots on and where dancing with a drawf lol. COOL PIX NONE THE LESS.

It would be cool if it was fairies.

Dwarf, my friend. "A fairy with boots and dancin' with a dwarf"

I note his background is strictly arts, which has little to do with insect identification...

"I went out afterwards and took pictures of flies and gnats and they just don't look the same."

Indeed, John, if all you compared them to was flies and gnats - but perhaps there are more insects around than just those.. I know it's hard to believe, but you never know...

Now, if Professor John knows anything about photography, he should be able to tell us roughly how far away from the lens these things were, and even why they are so lit up...

{Sighs wearily}

I'll be back later when I get a positive ID on the insect.

Interesting that this was released pretty close to the beginning of April...

Added PS - maybe we need to go here..

Edited by ChrLzs
  • Like 2

Some links for your perusal:

http://www.abundantn...lying-bugs.html

http://www.dailymail...the-garden.html

http://forgetomori.c...unking-roundup/ (Scroll right down)

Now, I'll happily admit that the culprit is not exactly identified.. However, I'll wager it is some species of grasshopper/locust, given those long legs and short frontal antennae.. Even Paul McCartney agrees with me...

article-2321346-19AE56EB000005DC-7_634x451.jpg

from http://www.dailymail...ilian-show.html

Yes, I know it isn't exactly the right profile, but I'd bet that if we got a UK entomologist to chime in, he could identify what they are.

• Like 2

Oddly enough, it's not documented in this report that they were all shouting "Hey Listen!", which consequently drove him mad and he started throwing pots all over the place.

• Like 1

Bugs.... I think I've seen wasps that sometime have their back legs together that look like that.

Paper wasps specifically seem to let their legs dangle down like the bugs in the link.

EKIK1KLKUK0K9K4QC0EQB08QY05Q6K4QF0AQ30GK305KRS5KVK5KAKGKUKGQC02QA09QDK8KLSEQ.jpg

nope thats just a fairy in fancy dress...... :innocent:

• Like 1

WOW! genius!

Head to San Francisco, you'll get all the fairy pictures you want.......Thank You!!

Edited by Azznerak the Black

mayfly-info0.gif

Another Candidate? The Mayfly?

Edited by Calibeliever

You know what? Let's say they are fairies. Just run with it for a second. Has anything odd or fairy-ish ever been reported in the local area?

That looks very much the same, and is just as clearly a bug. Good find.

Now, I'll happily admit that the culprit is not exactly identified.. However, I'll wager it is some species of grasshopper/locust, given those long legs and short frontal antennae.. Even Paul McCartney agrees with me...

I think it is more likely to be a tiny bug. A larger bug like a grasshopper probably would have triggered the focus better.

• Like 1

You know what? Let's say they are fairies. Just run with it for a second. Has anything odd or fairy-ish ever been reported in the local area?

Well my 100 year old grandmother would tell you they're real, she's seen them. She believes in leprechauns too ... *shrug*?

Whelp. It doesn't look like any known bug I've seen, and they truly do look genuine. I don't have a logical explanation for it. I don't see any evidence of photo manipulation either, so... this seems pretty real to me.

I remember the Three Johns and I wouldn't be surprised if he isn't being totally serious

I recently watched a Torchwood episode on faries. That was creepy.

• Like 1

Whelp. It doesn't look like any known bug I've seen, and they truly do look genuine. I don't have a logical explanation for it. I don't see any evidence of photo manipulation either, so... this seems pretty real to me.

You...you can't possibly be serious.

Yes! It can only be fairies! There is no other explanation to explain this!............and can I have some of what your smoking?

• Like 2

Might be time to change me specs, but darn me ifn they don't look like fairies!...just like the ones I see in dreams sometimes, all hanging around a little bush type of tree, never ever let me catch them though...always buzz of....

• 2 weeks later...

That's Tinker Bell and her friends :D

post-103357-0-11016500-1399084429_thumb.